hit by a car

Shane Bob

hi Hubbers!

so today while i was cycling on the LEFT side of the road in the yellow lane a lady does a U-TURN and knocks me off the road. she knew that she was wrong and appologized and so forth. i took down her numbers and lisence number and nessesary details. now there are a few damages to the bike and my helmet. am i right to say that she must pay for all to get repaired/replaced and what else can i do?

im really sick and tired of these bad drivers. :cursing:

am i right to say that she must pay for all to get repaired/replaced and what else can i do?

Report the accident at the SAPS, get a case number and contact your insurance company. Let them sort it out.

Hey man, sorry about your accident, and good to hear you are doing alright. Now work on getting her to pay for all that the damages. Good luck.

hi Hubbers!

so today while i was cycling on the LEFT side of the road in the yellow lane a lady does a U-TURN and knocks me off the road. she knew that she was wrong and appologized and so forth. i took down her numbers and lisence number and nessesary details. now there are a few damages to the bike and my helmet. am i right to say that she must pay for all to get repaired/replaced and what else can i do?

im really sick and tired of these bad drivers. :cursing:

Yes Bob. Same as if it was your car.

In SA you claim a new helmet.

In the USA you would litigate and buy a new ranch.

I would report it, get case number and send her a letter of demand. Getting lawyers involved will cost you more than you'll get back ... unless he/she/it is a **** hot lawyer who claims for your emotional trauma of being hit by a car, costs likely to be incurred for counselling and loss of potential earnings as you were on the brink of international stardom!!!

However, the defendent's lawyer may just ask what sort of emergency you had ... there must've been one because you were cycling in the emergency lane weren't you?

Don't get into the same situation mintsauce has ... driver said "sure fine, I'll pay for the damages" until he saw the cost and now doesn't answer calls or anything. They think bikes are cheap things until you come with the R2000 helmet, the R500 pump, the R7000 wheel ...

Yes Bob. Same as if it was your car.

In SA you claim a new helmet.

In the USA you would litigate and buy a new ranch.

How true...............???? The land of Milk & Honey?

Don't get into the same situation mintsauce has ... driver said "sure fine, I'll pay for the damages" until he saw the cost and now doesn't answer calls or anything. They think bikes are cheap things until you come with the R2000 helmet, the R500 pump, the R7000 wheel ...

Which is why I still don't understand all these bloke riding around on tens of thousands of Rands of uninsured bike.

Sucks that you were "attacked" by an errant drver! Has anybody read the Bergiesean post on news 24?

In this he actively promotes using a vehicle to knock cyclists off the road; he disguises and softens his comment with a nice passive/aggressive proviso, yet the seed may well remain planted in th emind of the readers.

This guy is encouraging vehicular assault. He is promoting hatred of bike riders. It is tantamount to Hate Speach.

Sucks that you were "attacked" by an errant drver! Has anybody read the Bergiesean post on news 24?

In this he actively promotes using a vehicle to knock cyclists off the road; he disguises and softens his comment with a nice passive/aggressive proviso, yet the seed may well remain planted in th emind of the readers.

This guy is encouraging vehicular assault. He is promoting hatred of bike riders. It is tantamount to Hate Speach.

so the next cyclist that gets killed in his neighborhood........ guess who'll be suspect no.1 for making death threats to all cyclists out there

Here is what he wrote...

Pesky Cyclists

17 May 2012, 07:13

It is time to tax cycling. And I don’t mean some small disk that gets strapped to the handlebars, I am talking full on vehicle number plates, front and back. That way we can police these road criminals in a way that adds to the national fiscus.

Surely, if you want to use our tax-funded roads, then you should pay for them like everybody else?

The rot, of course, started with Lance Armstrong. Suddenly everyone thought they could become a testosterone-fueled cannon ball in a yellow jersey. Pre-Armstrong, cyclists were a simple but friendly folk, few and far between. They were amiable Sunday riders who knew their place, and it wasn’t three abreast down Lakeside Main Road.

Post-Armstrong their psyche changed overnight. God, how they make my blood boil! How many times have I been tempted to nudge one of them off his silly little spinning machine and into a bush? Goodness knows how many cyclists have had their lives spared thanks to my magnanimous restraint. Quite frankly, I don’t know how far my benevolence can be stretched. . .

Of course those peninsula cycling races only make things worse by encouraging the scourge. Try driving down the M3 freeway two weeks before a race and spot the crazies riding alongside motor vehicles traveling at 120 km. Are you now Evel Knievel?

I am not saying bicycles don’t have their place, its just that the best place for them is the playground. I can safely assume that most cyclists suffer from a stunted childhood because I’ve spotted them riding 120km long races on one of those funny clown bikes. Or pedaling strange machines with their arms. Or wearing a Barney suit and ringing a bell. I suppose its cute to play in the traffic?

And I don’t buy that mountain bike ruse. Soil erosion in Tokai Forest is now reaching epidemic proportions thanks to the cycle tracks carved into our national parks. And if you are wondering why troops of baboons are desperately roaming the suburbs its because they have been scared out of their natural habitat by those two wheeled fiends.

But its air pollution I am truly worried about. It takes just two cyclists riding abreast to hold up a whole snake of cars, forcing them to burn more fuel while driving in a lower gear.

It is this type of thoughtless, selfish behaviour that leads me to think that cyclists need have their wings clipped.

Edited by firewolf

Now the questions are; Who is Bergie Sean? And why does he hate bike riders enough to actually consider hitting one, with a car no less, to get the rider out of his way.

Pretty dangerous mentality don't you think?

Big :thumbdown: to Bergie Sean, and and even bigger :thumbdown: to the editor of News 24 for making this article the editors choice.