Garmin Edge 500 Version 3.0 Software Ugrade Available!

Tankman

Sweet!

Looks like most upgrades will be noticeable if you are using a power meter.

Something I am looking forward to is the extra TWO data pages that has been added to the current three, you can still have up to 8 pieces of data per page :thumbup:

Since there are normally a couple of bugs to be worked out with a new software upgrade like this, I am following my own rule of thumb and only doing the upgrade in about 4 weeks. Please provide feedback so that Garmin can fix the bugs and I can have a bug free version installed ;)

Use WebUpdater to do the installation or do it through Garmin Connect

Here's the upgrades:

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.00:

Added two additional training pages.

Added various power-related data fields, including left and right balance for supported power meters, Normalized Power (NP), Intensity Factor (IF), Training Stress Score (TSS), maximum lap power, last lap power, and Watts/kg power.

Improved support for power-based workouts.

Added the ability to modify the FTP value and to recalculate the power zones based on the new FTP value.

Made improvements to the power meter calibration process.

Fixed an issue where Auto Zero was incorrectly displayed as an option when paired to the PowerTap hub.

Improved the calculation of elevation gain/loss.

Improved the calculation of time behind on the Virtual Partner page.

Fixed various issues with viewing activities in history.

Fixed various issues related to courses.

Fixed various other issues.

Updated translations.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4715

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update done! Will 'test' it at Monster tomorrow :)

What can I say, I'm an IT guy we like to live on the 'edge' with new upgrades ;)

Oh yea another cool upgrade:

"This update adds support for left/right power metrics – in line with supporting Garmin Vector (once it releases), as well as current generation power meters supporting power balance, like the newer Quarq 2012 units. This will also support other left/right power meters down the road, like the Brim Brothers cleat-based unit, the Pioneer unit and the O-Synce unit."

post-4352-0-88584200-1337921030.jpg

slight hijack - i have this unit and I primarily mtb but also road bike and would like to start using power as a form of measurement - any advice on what to get? please PM me

Edited by mtbDobby

slight hijack - i have this unit and I primarily mtb but also road bike and would like to start using power as a form of measurement - any advice on what to get? please PM me

Do a search, there is a 15 page thread on powermeters.

Thanks, update done.

What is "time zone map" that it wanted to update?

No need to update that. We don't cross any time zones while cycling in SA ;)

Edited by Tankman

Suggest wait a bit before upgrading to v3. My edge 500 is completely dead and won't turn on after the upgrade. I did the following:

1. fully charged the 500

2. Using webupdater updated software to v3. This completed successfully and unit displayed message, "validating software update"

3. Thereafter unit switched off and won't turn on again.

4. Reset does not work (by holding power and lap/reset buttons)

Suggest wait a bit before upgrading to v3. My edge 500 is completely dead and won't turn on after the upgrade. I did the following:

1. fully charged the 500

2. Using webupdater updated software to v3. This completed successfully and unit displayed message, "validating software update"

3. Thereafter unit switched off and won't turn on again.

4. Reset does not work (by holding power and lap/reset buttons)

Further to this, managed to get a response from edge 500 by pressing PWR+Enter+Lap, hold, then release. At that point the Garmin logo appeared and message "validating software update" appeared. Thereafter edge switched off for a few minutes and then restarted with version 3. Will go for a ride and revert if all working. Not nice!.

Okay, so start the download, finished the download, then tells me the install failed?

Anyone else experience problems updating the software, just a bit weary something is gonna go wrong when I do it, knowing my luck.