Robbie Hunter disqualified from Giro?

Chro Mo

....for holding onto a car on the stage yesterday....

Say it ain't so, Robbie!

So he said it wasn't so!!!

Glad to hear it, and we stand corrected.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be quite disappointed to make your name gat again.

Well... on the balance of what is available to us now:

He is listed by Cyclingnews.com, in their full results as DQ.And they make sure to mention the disqualification of the four... http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro-ditalia/stage-20/results

He is listed in the withdrawals page of Gazetta as DQ: http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2012/classifiche/it/t_20_class_RETIRED.shtml?lang=en

How likely is it that the most respected cycling site in the world, and the official news partenr of the Giro got it wrong?

Well... on the balance of what is available to us now:

He is listed by Cyclingnews.com, in their full results as DQ.And they make sure to mention the disqualification of the four... http://www.cyclingne...tage-20/results

He is listed in the withdrawals page of Gazetta as DQ: http://www.gazzetta....D.shtml?lang=en

How likely is it that the most respected cycling site in the world, and the official news partenr of the Giro got it wrong?

PS - for the record, I would rather they be proven to be wrong.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/news/giro-notebook-stage-20-ryder-purito-head-to-head-in-tt-cav-loses-points-jersey-hunter-others-kicked-out_221257

Hunter, Guardini, Velasco, Rollin kicked out of Giro

Dominique Rollin (FDJ-BigMat), Robbie Hunter (Garmin-Barracuda), Ivan Velasco (Euskaltel-Euskadi) and Thursday’s stage-winner Andrea Guardini (Farnese-Selle Italia) were all kicked out of the Giro by the race jury for what appeared to be taking pulls from team cars early in the race.

Though the race jury didn’t identify the infraction – they cited a UCI rule that states a rider “who commits a serious fault” can be removed – it appears that riders were spotted holding on too long to “sticky water bottles.”

Velasco, Rollin and Hunter had all crashed this week, with Rollin getting hit by a Vacansoleil team car on Wednesday and Hunter sliding into a barrier Friday. Guardini, meanwhile, was struggling through the mountains, finishing last Wednesday and Friday.

“I do not want to comment until I know all the facts,” said Garmin sport director Charlie Wegelius. “Robbie Hunter shouldn’t have gotten back on his bike (Friday) in all reasonableness. He smashed a wooden pole, but he stayed in the race today because he was so dedicated to the team and to Ryder.”

Caught cheating while wearing the national champ kit.

Quite disappointing, winning SA's seemed to mean a lot to Hunter, now he has made his name gat again.

Iv just got one thing, Robbie is an international cyclist and yes the best in south Africa and he proved it by winning the championship!

Here u come and insult him, when your not even on the same level as that man, siting behind your pc judging him when u don't even know what went through his mind and body!

Its kinda disappointing to see the level of intelligence coming from this because IF YOU can say that u did the Giro and won the SA's and u didn't ever touch a team car, then i will understand if you judge!

Don't think that what im saying is that Robbie was right doing it if it rules, but surely u cant judge the guy! Pick some one your own size they would say...

Edited by Dewald ZA

Before trading insults, Just read the article on cyclingnews, it states Hunter was dq'ed. It is not a small rumour, he is listed a dq on their race results too.

Eish ....... Slowbee looi hulle en verhoog hulle se warn status.

Edited by eccentric1

DQ'd or not. He wouldn't have finished yesterday stage.

Hunter worked his butt off for Hesjedal on the Manghen and was bridging the gap to the leaders when he fell on the descent. He could hardly stand. He got a bike change but took such a long time to get going that the team car left him. Superdomestique!!

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races12/giro12/giro12st19jg-hunter.jpg

Edited by JimmyB

Iv just got one thing, Robbie is an international cyclist and yes the best in south Africa and he proved it by winning the championship!

Here u come and insult him, when your not even on the same level as that man, siting behind your pc judging him when u don't even know what went through his mind and body!

Its kinda disappointing to see the level of intelligence coming from this because IF YOU can say that u did the Giro and won the SA's and u didn't ever touch a team car, then i will understand if you judge!

Don't think that what im saying is that Robbie was right doing it if it rules, but surely u cant judge the guy! Pick some one your own size they would say...

So because Robbie achieved all of that he is a holy cow and we're not allowed to comment on what he did?

I guess you don't comment on for eg. Super rugby or any sport for that matter then if you haven't played at their level yet.

RH is a South African, representing us by wearing his SA jersey. If he now cheats and damages the reputation of his country, I will feel free to comment on it.

Everywhere we go we are representing something or someone and we should act accordingly.

I believe his version before anything else I read. And he's still a champ regardless. I dont think we can even begin to imagine how difficult that race must be.

So..... Are you saying that Brett Murray had no right to criticize Jacob Zuma with his painting, because he has never been a president himself?

Imo part of the money / advertizing sponsorship etc. that comes with the fame of a sportman is because people are interested in what they do and think. Being a public figure also means being open to comments from the public. I think it fair if they take the good with the bad, but.......

Comments posted on a public forum have been seen by law as published comment, and are subject to publication law as well. So if somebody calls you names or falsely accuse you/Hunter/whoever they can be taken to court.