Robbie Hunter disqualified from Giro?

Chro Mo

I don't think there is a cyclist in the world who hasn't been tempted to take a hitch on a hill, it's no big deal that a sprinter uses a team car to get over a mountain. Sprinters have done it for years, it's part of the sport. Maybe Robbie Hunter is wrong to deny it, that's a bigger deal. But so what? Get off your high horses guys, it's pathetic that you think any of us care that you call him Hunter rather than Robbie? He's made it as a pro cyclist because he is uncompromising, not because he's a nice guy. Last year Mr Clean accused Cav of cheating when the rumours were flying about him holding on, let's see what he says about Robbie this time round.

Lots of stuff I would rather not comment on this tread but Petatodd I agree with the it’s part of the sport part. I think the problem here is we will never really understand pro cycling in Europe and the inner workings of the race.

Let me ask you guys this…If a rider has a crash or get left behind and he’s team car pulls up next to him….he hangs onto the car while the mechanic has a look at the bikes brakes or something while the car speeds up to 60km per hour…do you really think there is something wrong with that bike??

But it is against the rule to hang onto a car then? Or a rider gets paced back after a flat wheel while the Comm is not there to see what is happening….is that not against the rules?

All off this happens on a daily basis and many more things in a grand tour like the Giro, and it all is “against the rules”.

Just like a sticky bottle mostly at the Giro people look the other way when a sprinter hold onto a car on a massif climb like yesterday. And yes every now and again the race ref might decide that it was too obvious or just too long or whatever.

Kind of like a hooker hitting a guys in the scrum because they want to intimidate the other team in rugby. Against the rules yes…..but it happens and every now and again someone gets send to the bin for it.

Not saying Hunter did this but if he did and he got caught out, sorry for you man.

Also it is just interesting how few people that commented on this topic had anything to say during the Giro about how brilliant he has been riding and he’s two 4th places and excellent lead-outs etc.

Just waiting for him to fail??

Edited by nochain

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people here seem to be missing the point - for 100s of years sprinters have hung onto cars, mavic neutral bikes, been pushed by spectators, received 20 second long bottle and generaly cheated their way over the mountains. This was largely ignored by the organisers creating a half pregant situation - like football where it's legal to push and shove. A little. Medium pushing and shoviung will be randomly accepted and Heavy pushing and shoving randomly penalised. If the organisers lectured the riders before the start and said we WILL DQ cheating them by all means give Robbie hell. Given the endless long bottles, chasing back through the cars, sitting behind media bikes and other shenanigans that I've witnessed in this years Giro the organisers have decided to accepted cheating so DQing Robbie I would put in the "double standards" box.

Hehe you beat me to it....spot on!!

Kind of like a hooker hitting a guys in the scrum because they want to intimidate the other team in rugby. Against the rules yes…..but it happens and every now and again someone gets send to the bin for it.

I read that as a hooker kicking a guy in the scrotum. That makes more sense.

Hehe you beat me to it....spot on!!

The flip side is that the officials are aware of the "cultural" rule breaking and normally only DQ people in extreme circumstances like hanging on for 1km. Chances are if they DQ 4 riders that those 4 were abusing the "cultural" cheating. Or they DQ them because they're not in favour with the organisers...very mafialike these italian races...

...which is why I find it odd that they DQ'd Guardini!

The flip side is that the officials are aware of the "cultural" rule breaking and normally only DQ people in extreme circumstances like hanging on for 1km. Chances are if they DQ 4 riders that those 4 were abusing the "cultural" cheating. Or they DQ them because they're not in favour with the organisers...very mafialike these italian races...

...which is why I find it odd that they DQ'd Guardini!

Another reason why real road racing sucks, the rule book is like a dotted white line on a winding road and only the officials know where the real solid white line is.

Granted the major tours are extreme events and possibly require some sympathy for the riders at times but it does get a bit smudgy if rules are not applied consistently. Where does it say that a rider can draft behind or be towed by a car for x amount of time?

Another reason why real road racing sucks, the rule book is like a dotted white line on a winding road and only the officials know where the real solid white line is.

Granted the major tours are extreme events and possibly require some sympathy for the riders at times but it does get a bit smudgy if rules are not applied consistently. Where does it say that a rider can draft behind or be towed by a car for x amount of time?

Funny how often they always have a seat post or rear brake problem on a steep hill.

With all this happening and about everyone moaning because its said that Hunter Cheated, I can promise you guys, people in Spain is still supportive of Contador. He was caught cheating, but denies it. so who believes what. So lets just keep on supporting our SAFFAS and stand by them regardless.

With all this happening and about everyone moaning because its said that Hunter Cheated, I can promise you guys, people in Spain is still supportive of Contador. He was caught cheating, but denies it. so who believes what. So lets just keep on supporting our SAFFAS and stand by them regardless.

:thumbup:

Absolutely bru, look at all the Basso supporters on here.

In case anyones interested... Darren Scott will be interviewing Robbie Hunter on Ballz radio this afternoon.

In case anyones interested... Darren Scott will be interviewing Robbie Hunter on Ballz radio this afternoon.

Time?

After 17:00... but before 18:00 Ballz radio says...

for those of us who haven't got Ballz, let us know what he says. ;)

I see Hunter has replaced (Go)Lance! on the Hub.....where's the Colonel when you need him?

Edited by headhunter