Rebuilding my AM / trail rig

wesley_r

Tires: HR 2.5 weigh close to 1.3kg! Grip like nothing else, but I won't run them again on a bike I have to pedal! Nevegals are out for me as they are too heavy and slow for the amount of grip. 2.35 High roller I like. Trying Schwalbe's on my bike. Not enough miles to report back.

Not a Conti fan.

Not a Conti fan either. Been running Hutchinson Cougars on my Yeti and I'm mega impressed. Running a 2.4 up front and a 2.2 at the back.

They just a bit pricey :(

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pretty happy so far with the Conti - and the fact that they're light and tough is a bonus ;)

@ Caad

I'd say on par with I9 and CK. Closer to I9 probably. In order of loudness:

1 Halo

2 Hope

3 SSC / I9

4 CK

@ Omega

Have heard that as well. Sounds just about exactly the same and the inners are same tech. What's nice about these are

1 you only need end caps ala Hope

2 stans end caps work on them

First story I heard was that they and Halo hubs are one and the same. Halo's Supadrive also has 120 engagement and can be converted to just about anything. They are MUCH louder though.

Either way they are great hubs at a killer price. Prices on the site is always a bit more than actual price. As soon as you create an user account and log on, the prices come down. Something to do wirh Euro or UK taxes.

Wes: they gave the new KS Lev in stock...

Right so my hardtail goes to LBS tomorrow so that the Commencal can get all its parts back :) while I've highlighted some new additions here, most of the stuff is staying the same - like the ultra reliable X7 derailleurs and shifters, Avid Juicy 5 brakes, cranks and DMR V12 pedals which, though they are showing some wear and tear, are still going strong and gripping like mad.

I'm looking into a chain tensioner. The bike has a Truvativ Stylo crankset, on which we removed the big ring a long time ago in favour of a bash guard. I've been wanting to go to 1 ring for a while, but in the interim I am thinking of fitting one of these:

http://dialdbikes.co...hain-guide.html

New grips might be on the cards too - I've been using Lizard Skins Peaty lock on grips, but am finding that, with my wrists being dodgy (work on a PC all day and it'll happen) I may need to go for something much softer.

O, and I might be throwing some red into the build to break the blue / white / black scheme - stay tuned for more :thumbup:

Edited by the_wes

If you like Spank Subrosa's, have a look at how much a CRC build comes to. I got some white Subrosa's with Hope hubs from them for just R3.3k last year (flippen bargain). I'm sure it'll be more than that now but worth a try.

I see you also have my white AKA stem. :D

And here is the humble hardtail that's been housing all the parts over the last while. I've been using Kenda Small Block 8s (stolen from my wife) which are great on the road and pretty fast on gravel - I can't comment on the grip as I haven't done much trail riding on them, but they did get me down Contermanskloof in one piece :thumbup:

Off to the LBS for a swapterectomy

post-12904-0-94803300-1338375035.jpg

Edited by the_wes

Unfortunately I've run into a snag with tyres and getting the Continental Mountain King II 2.4 delivered in time :( working on a plan B

Edited by the_wes

Buycycle have let me down big time... I won't go into the details just yet except to say it started with a more than 2 weeks wait and ended with the wrong tyre getting delivered. They're trying to make right now, tyre will be here either tomorrow or Monday.

So currently I have a 2.4 Mountain King, a 2.35 Nevagrip and a set of 2.2 Small Block Eights - I'm sure between those I can come up with a suitable combo for a weekend's riding if it only arrives on Monday :w00t:

Some more new bits and pieces... as I mentioned before I've been running Lizrd Skins Peaty lock on grips, but am finding them uncomfortable on longer rides. My wrists / hands are dodgy since I spend all day in front of a PC, so I get tingly fingers and sore wrists pretty quickly. The Deity Enoki grips are apparently mega chunky and comfortable, so I'm going for those. They are also flanged, which should be interesting to try out, since I've never used a flanged grip.

post-12904-0-09484700-1338459483.jpg

I'm also going for the Dartmoor Simple Chain Guide. I'll be taking the ISCG05 version (comes with a BB adaptor). According to Dartmoor's site it can be used on a dual ring setup - so this should put an end to the chain-dropping-on-bumpy-stuff nonsense. It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens enough to irritate me. I've never used a chain guide, so not sure what the overall effect on the drive train will be, but I'm going to find out ;)

post-12904-0-36870000-1338459481.jpg

I'll be getting both (in the red options) from the good people at Dial'd Bikes, but probably only next week. I really dig supporting these guys, and you should too, SA needs more retailers like this...

Enoki: http://dialdbikes.co...noki-grips.html

Simple: http://dialdbikes.co...hain-guide.html

Everything, excluding new tyres and the above, is being built up now, so I should have the bike back tomorrow :clap:

I've ordered wheels from www.superstarcomponents.com. They always get great reviews on Bikeradar. Cost me a fraction of what it would cost to buy here and I could custom build. They have all the Stans rims as options and their hubs can be adapted to run any configuration or "standard"! Definitely worth a look. They have a Flow / CX-Ray / SSC Hub special at the moment. Service is top notch, delivery is fast.

I went with CX-Ray, Arch EX, SSC Swith Fr and Trizoid Rear = R3900 exclu delivery. The spokes alone will set you back close to R3k locally. The ARCH EX rims are R800 ea online so this was a killer deal. Their Trizoid hub has 120point engagement which puts it up there with I9. But it can run Stans end caps or adapters so spares won't be an issue.

Worth a look. They have Spank rims as an option as well.

Tires: HR 2.5 weigh close to 1.3kg! Grip like nothing else, but I won't run them again on a bike I have to pedal! Nevegals are out for me as they are too heavy and slow for the amount of grip. 2.35 High roller I like. Trying Schwalbe's on my bike. Not enough miles to report back.

Not a Conti fan.

Sorry for the Hi-jack...

How much were the delivery & the import taxes?

Hi-jack off.

Sorry for the Hi-jack...

How much were the delivery & the import taxes?

Hi-jack off.

Delivery was UKP80, duty was normal VAT + Duty calculated at 15.4%

Boom! She's done! I've ordered the grips and chain tensioner, but those will go on over the weekend. A short blast around the parking lot confirms that I picked the right stem and bar!

post-12904-0-23234800-1338567023.jpg

post-12904-0-60180600-1338567035.jpg

Like the "PEDAL FAT BOY!" sticker. Assume it was part of the custom paint job. Need something like that for my Trance..

Thanks guys :) Yeah DJR I had the sticker done as part of the kit - can send you the file if you want to have it printed. In fact I have a contact that can print a bunch if needs be... cost will depend on quantity though...

Now to change tyres! Still waiting for my 2nd Conti, so for this weekend I think I'll leave the tubes in, leave the small block eight on the back and just put the Conti I have, or the Nevegal, on the front...

Here are some proper pics.... still need to fit the chain guide, but damn, what a sweet looking piece of kit!

test ride in Tokai tomorrow ;)

post-12904-0-85492000-1338668736.jpg

post-12904-0-34401300-1338668742.jpg

post-12904-0-89720500-1338668747.jpg