Exhaust Fumes

TrekSLR

Do any bicycle commuters find the exhaust fumes from cars difficult to deal with? I started commuting this morning and must say, sucking in large puffs of carbon monoxide is not one of the most satisfying things to do. How do the rest of you deal with it?

Do any bicycle commuters find the exhaust fumes from cars difficult to deal with? I started commuting this morning and must say, sucking in large puffs of carbon monoxide is not one of the most satisfying things to do. How do the rest of you deal with it?

For the life of me I can not remember the study done by a German company where they actually found that a cyclist inhales far less "road pollution" compared to a motorist who has far higher volumes of fumes forced into the car by simply driving.

Long story short there was an alarmingly higher volume of pollutants measured in the car than that measured for the cyclist.

;)

Look on CRC for some cool looking masks and respiratory devices, like the bike couriers use..

Those masks are terrible to ride in, and so is a buff. Only time I used mine was in winter, and that was to keep my face warm in London rather then worry about exhaust fumes.

I remember reading this a while ago as well and thinking that it's a strange finding. I'd like to believe it but what convinces me otherwise at the moment is smelling the fumes first hand when the truck or bus chitters past. Inhaling the "clean" air inside a car is a lot more comfortable.

Motorpace behind a rubbish removal truck once or twice. That should bring things into perspective ;)

Diesel fumes irretates me but it is normally only a short time when the vehicles passes you or you passing it. I suppose I got used to it.

I remember reading this a while ago as well and thinking that it's a strange finding. I'd like to believe it but what convinces me otherwise at the moment is smelling the fumes first hand when the truck or bus chitters past. Inhaling the "clean" air inside a car is a lot more comfortable.

Maybe you have one of these hanging on your mirror then

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_423/car_photo_211930_7.jpg

Also remember when cycling you tend to be more perceptive to smells. I can often pic up a persons perfume or cologne when cycling past a car and the window is open.

Maybe you have one of these hanging on your mirror then

http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_423/car_photo_211930_7.jpg

Also remember when cycling you tend to be more perceptive to smells. I can often pic up a persons perfume or cologne when cycling past a car and the window is open.

This makes a lot of sense. Now that you mention it, I am very perceptive to smells while cycling. But like Bataleur1 suggests, once can get used to it and I'm hoping it's only a perception thing. It won't stop me from riding though.

Saw an article that says that cyclists / joggers are worse off because they are exerting themselves and therefore taking in more air and pollutants compared to someone just sitting in a car with a lower heart rate and breathing. I have also noticed that I'm more sensitive to smells like fumes from cars when cycling. A mask of some sorts may help a bit.

It sucks but what can you do. I'm not above pulling over on a hill and letting upcoming trucks/buses/smelly SUVs climb up suitably ahead while I take a 'breather'. If you've got a particularly busy hill on your route where you often encounter this, may be worth considering a re-routing.

Start earlier :whistling:

Yeah, it is a problem --> I encounter it on the commute home. There too, I follow my own advice and start earlier, before serious traffic starts, but still a problem. i am "lucky" in that traffic is only for the first 8 K's or so, so use that as an easy warm-up spin, with shallow breathing. After that, still a bit of traffic, but open winelands roads - heeha.

Edit: Geez, that was a lot of typos :thumbdown:

Edited by Akon

Look on CRC for some cool looking masks and respiratory devices, like the bike couriers use..

Anybody know where we can buy these masks & respiratory devices locally?