Item lost by the Post Office

I bought a bike from a person based in Uitenhage on the 17th of May and it was posted up using the SAPO. I've been tracking the item religiously and when it didn't arrive on time I started hassling the Post Office. After numerous calls without any action from their side, I finally posted on Hello Peter and got a reponse:

"Thank you for your comments.

Kindly ask the sender to complete an enquiry form at the office of origin for an official investigation to be conducted as per the Universal Postal Union Regulator.

Please accept our earnest apologies for the inconvenience.

The branch manager will furnish the sender the details once the investigation has been concluded.

Best regards,

Customer services"

To me, this sounds like they have absolutely no idea where the bike is. I have no reason to suspect the seller as he has received a number of positive reviews on the Hub and the SAPO have confirmed that the package was sent. I did ask the sender to ensure that the bike was ensured and I also have bicycle insurance as a part of my personal insurance.

Has anyone had a similar experience and could provide some guidelines? Which part of this is my responsibility and which is the senders? How long do I wait before claiming? Is it my job to claim or the senders?

Any help is appreciated.

Postage is generally the buyers risk unless otherwise agreed. I have been fighting the post office since March last year for a R7,5k package Speed Services has admitted was stolen by their driver. They agreed to pay, but I have never seen a cent of it. You can apparently complain to ICASA, but after 3 months I am still trying to get an answer from them on my complaint... Basically just keep trying! Icasa's website gives you a good idea of the process to be followed. As far as I am aware the insurance is only for damage to the goods in transit - it is their duty to get it delivered to the destination as that is the service you have employed them to do and that doesn't require additional insurance.

Why the hell did you send a bike via SAPO ?!

I asked for it to be sent by courier or Speed Services, the sender decided Post Office. I even phoned and asked him about it, but he said that he's never had a problem with them before

Perhaps give them some time. As far as I know the PO is on strike still. I sent a parcel with speed services 10 days ago, still not delivered.

Perhaps give them some time. As far as I know the PO is on strike still. I sent a parcel with speed services 10 days ago, still not delivered.

Give them some time? What, to make sure all evidence is removed?

Once a parcel fails to arrive at the receiving post office kiss it good bye.

We used to use the post office. Parcel size was box size so someone could not just slip it under a jersey, track and trace would say a parcel has been checked out of the sorting centre and loaded on a delivery to the local PO. Never arrives, the driver simply does not deliver it but here is the fun bit, it was given to a specific driver who signed for it but when it does not turn up he has no responsibility.

Investigation department would write to say sorry, your parcel went missing. Unless insured we carried the loss. No responsibility on the PO.

We now exclusively use couriers after carrying the loss of too many parcels.

Unfortunately, the post office is world class in one respect. They steal with the best of them.

Give them some time? What, to make sure all evidence is removed?

I did not tell him to quit.

If the workers are all on strike still, he will not get a phone answered or someone who will take if upon themselves to help him look for it.

I did not tell him to quit.

If the workers are all on strike still, he will not get a phone answered or someone who will take if upon themselves to help him look for it.

He won't get that even if they aren't on strike...... When was the last time you tried phoning your local PO? Not even sure why they have telephones installed...

Edited by Grebel

He won't get that even if they aren't on strike...... When was the last time you tried phoning youtr local PO? Not even sure why they have telephones installed...

I actually had great service from the Wesville Post Office recently regarding a parcel. They went above & beyond with helping me out. :thumbup: That was calling and in person.

My understanding of it is they have a responsibility to deliver the parcel (exactly the same as your courier does) so you are entitled to claim compensation from them if that doesn't happen. If it gets damaged in transit then you might battle as it is your responsibility to package it appropriately. I will let you know the outcome of my claim (hopefully sometime in the next few days) which is exactly as mentioned above - the driver signed for it and it never reached the PO (Speed Services). The manager of the relevant PO has indicated in writing that they would refund me though which will make it more difficult for them to dispute it.

My understanding of it is they have a responsibility to deliver the parcel (exactly the same as your courier does) so you are entitled to claim compensation from them if that doesn't happen. If it gets damaged in transit then you might battle as it is your responsibility to package it appropriately. I will let you know the outcome of my claim (hopefully sometime in the next few days) which is exactly as mentioned above - the driver signed for it and it never reached the PO (Speed Services). The manager of the relevant PO has indicated in writing that they would refund me though which will make it more difficult for them to dispute it.

Thanks a mill, appreciate it!

I actually had great service from the Wesville Post Office recently regarding a parcel. They went above & beyond with helping me out. :thumbup: That was calling and in person.

I am going to start using my sister's Westville PO Box from now on. I had document sent to Pinetown for a car that I bought that was still on HP. The seller settled the finance and had the logbook sent to me. I was sent a parcel slip to collect at Pinetown (Speedservices) only to be told that it went to another satelite branch. I went there to collect only to be told that it was at Pinetown (You see where this is going...)

I have tried contacting them on a few other occasions to track international parcels with no response. (Hence the comment). ALL my international orders are shipped via courier now if that option is available. It is easier to track and it gets to me on time.

Apparently the PO has been on strike for 3 months. Waiting for a CRC order for a month now.

Can't they even put out a warning of this?

E.g. Don't post anything, there is no one behind this front office.

Apparently the PO has been on strike for 3 months. Waiting for a CRC order for a month now.

Of course they are on strike, probably about the lack of parcels they can steal and pilfer!

Jhb area the PO was on strike for 3 weeks before anyone noticed.

I would be question my value if i was on strike for 3 weeks and no one noticed.