Funny Question!

Unknown MTBR

Guys

The Flat headed bolt screw stripped when i tried to take it out today! :eek: it was overtightened

What do u suggest?

Edited by Dewald ZA

I assume that you cannot get it out?

I know that you get bits to drill in to screw heads to remove them but not sure about hex ends.

Have you googled the problem yet?

The head doesnt look too stripped ,try find another same size allen key, they usually not exactly the same and 1 usually fits more snug then the other.Otherwise ive used a big enough star or flat screwdriver that hits 2 of the hex points tight enough to turn. :thumbup:

Hope that makes sense

Have you tried a new allen key? The cheaper sets tend to round off their working surfaces.

I don't know if you still get it, but I always used something called grinding paste (I think that is what was called, please correct if I am incorrect). Put some in the hole and then try loosen the bolt again. The paste stop slippage.

loosen the other bolts so that there is no pressure on the last, stripped one. then spray with penetrating lube and use new allen key, pushed in all the way...

If fail, use vice grip or pliers

Edited by ichnusa

if you haven't got it out yet, try this:

Loosen the other 3 bolts so that your bars are no longer clamped tight.

Slide your bars across (off the thicker OS diameter).

Push the front-plate of the stem back.

This should allow th stuck bolt to move freely. You can probably loosen it with your fingers now.

And when you get it out, look at the torque setting instruction below the Thomson name, make sure you torque it to that specified setting.

Edited by eccentric1

And when you get it out, look at the torque setting instruction below the Thomson name, make sure you torque it to that specified setting.

i didnt torque it tho!

SNAP ON has a multi contact socket head. See if some good friend could borrow you one.

Ignore all posts above, Sorry guys

Drill the head off with a normal steel bit at low speed or tap the drill trigger.

If you drill too fast you'll "glaze" the metal and harden it on the surface.

Once the head is off you'll be able to turn the threaded part out with your fingers.