Amashova Road Race on a Mountain Bike

Motard660

I am thinking to do the Amashova on a mountain bike. What I know of road events is freaking dangerous, so that is why I post here to get some advice.

Obviously I will replace my tires with some slicks. Now, I currently got tubeless mountain bike tires on the bike. When replacing, do I need to get tubes or can sliks also run tubeless.

My other question, are there any other people doing the Amashova on MTB! I dont want to pitch up and I am standing out like roadie with his road bike at a Mountain Bike event.:-)

I am thinking to do the Amashova on a mountain bike. What I know of road events is freaking dangerous, so that is why I post here to get some advice.

Obviously I will replace my tires with some slicks. Now, I currently got tubeless mountain bike tires on the bike. When replacing, do I need to get tubes or can sliks also run tubeless.

My other question, are there any other people doing the Amashova on MTB! I dont want to pitch up and I am standing out like roadie with his road bike at a Mountain Bike event.:-)

friend did shova as his first road race on an mtb with slicks. 3h30min

you wont stand out. its quite common actually

I've done a few on my mtb, nice, just takes longer. Generally whole batches of mtbers together .

However I prefer it on a road bike. That and tour Durban is the only time in the whole year when I ride a road bike, and the speed is great fun on the closed roads. Plus you finish quicker.

No man, pitch at the start, bike still unwashed from previous ride....double check that your fork and shock is set to full-open. Camelbak mule good to go and baggies. Then try and hook into a peleton, plenty fun...roadies hate it. Seriously I wouldnt change my tyres for a race, run the bike as is and enjoy the vibe :thumbup:

I've done a few on my mtb, nice, just takes longer. Generally whole batches of mtbers together .

However I prefer it on a road bike. That and tour Durban is the only time in the whole year when I ride a road bike, and the speed is great fun on the closed roads. Plus you finish quicker.

Road bike would probibly be the answer, but unfortunately I dont own one.:-) I was looking to maybe buy a good second hand one, but dont think the dragon (wife) is going to fall for that one. Not after my stund I pulled with a new Anthem 29er a few weeks ago. I got a Merida 1000 lite as well and was thinking of putting slicks on it for this event.

No man, pitch at the start, bike still unwashed from previous ride....double check that your fork and shock is set to full-open. Camelbak mule good to go and baggies. Then try and hook into a peleton, plenty fun...roadies hate it. Seriously I wouldnt change my tyres for a race, run the bike as is and enjoy the vibe :thumbup:

Oeps....i was in anyway thinking to strap my Camelpak on my back!

My tubeless tyres going to take a serious beating on that 100+ road trip. I will check the prices on slicks and if it is going to be to expensive, some roadies will hate me then! (Will make sure there is still chunks of mud on the tyres before I pull away:-) :-) :-))

Oeps....i was in anyway thinking to strap my Camelpak on my back!

My tubeless tyres going to take a serious beating on that 100+ road trip. I will check the prices on slicks and if it is going to be to expensive, some roadies will hate me then! (Will make sure there is still chunks of mud on the tyres before I pull away:-) :-) :-))

Mtb slicks are cheap.

Mtb slicks are cheap.

Thanks, did some pricing yesreday, can get away with about R200 a tyre, that is not bad considering that tubeless MTB is going R500+. I am not planning anyway to keep the slicks on, just for Amashova and then nobbies must go back on.

Did the Shova with R70 noname slicks on my 26" MTB ... had a blast overtaking those roadies :thumbup:

No, put tubes in and took a spare tube and some instant patches with me just in case. Put the tubeless tyres back on afterwards. Guys at Mavericks in Hillcrest sold me the noname slicks - they worked perfectly, nice and balanced.