Tokai: Personal safety

(Deon)

Seems like the Scum are looking for easy smash & grab targets.

What is San Park's responsibility here, and is it fair for for privateers to pay for security?

I thank T&T for their initiative , but at the same time I feel like this is something which could well be paid for from the Activity Card and Day Permit revenue.

I copied and pasted this from the Trail and Tar Newsletter I received this morning:

"Just to keep you all up to date, on Wednesday 3rd October, after the Trail and Tar trail run, we arrived back at the Arboretum to find that 6 of our cars had been broken into.

This coupled with the mountain bike attack last week, is a huge concern for us at Trail and Tar, as we regard everyone who uses the forest for cycling and running, as a customer or potential client of ours, and that we cannot simply stand back and wait for someone else to take responsibility for nipping this thing in the bud A.S.A.P.

With the above in mind, Trail and Tar has undertaken to pay for two security guards to man the car park from Monday to Thursday from 17h00 to 19h00. The SAN PARKS staff have had their hours reduced, and now leave their post at 17h00.

I know that this does not give 100% coverage, but we feel that it would cover the busy period for all those who enjoy a quick ride/run after work.

Please note that the guards will be paid well, and will not be reliant on tips for their time, however, if you are wanting to contribute, we will have a collection box at Trail and Tar, which will be used to help us carry the financial burden, and possibly extend their hours to include weekends at a later stage.

Guys, we are passionate about our little paradise that we share on our doorstep, and I for one, am not going to sit back and be a victim to a few sons of B^%$es who want to spoil my fun.

I will be talking to Mountain Men Security for a possible long term plan, but will keep you all in the loop with any news.

Be safe, and lets nip this sh*%t in the bud before it gets out of hand."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Seems like the Scum are looking for easy smash & grab targets.

What is San Park's responsibility here, and is it fair for for privateers to pay for security?

I thank T&T for their initiative , but at the same time I feel like this is something which could well be paid for from the Activity Card and Day Permit revenue.

Agree 100%. It's great the Trail & Tar are prepared to do this but It feels like Sanparks are just sliding under the radar here.

The way I see it Sanparks own the land. They and they alone profit from the sale of activity cards and day permits so it is their responsibility to take care of security on their land. Simple.

They are already having the trails on the mountain maintained by private money and volunteers. They surely can't expect security to be taken care of by private companies.

What are their times for a sat? because the last 3 sat afternoon I arrived at 3pm and no one was at the gate by the parking!!

I ride Tokai alone, a lot. But, I know from experience (crashing and breaking bones) that it is a bad idea to ride alone. Not just from a crime perspective. Riding alone after dark is even more dodgy. Yes, it would be great to not ever think about getting jacked or your car broken into, much like I did about Tokai up to now. But then, anywhere else I park, even in front of my home, I make sure not to leave anything of value in sight. I also think about being careful in dodgy places or at dodgy times. I'll just have to do it in Tokai as well from now on, because I sure as all hell shall continue to ride there. If I avoid it, the bad guys will be winning. Meanwhile, I hope that SANParks, Crysalis, Mountain Men, SAPS, Tokai MTB, Trail & Tar come up with a longer term solution that will restore safety in Tokai. (My 2 c worth)

Come to Deer Park on Sunday morning , 9am. Is much safer than Tokai :thumbup: and you get coffee on the trail.