Tokai: Personal safety

(Deon)

Personal safety: Please be alert of any suspicious activity on the mountain, especially when in small numbers or alone in the forest.

If you ever have any encounters or see anyone loitering/looking suspicious, please report it on the day to any SANParks ranger with a description of the person, where the person was spotted and in what direction the person was heading. This information is vital to everyone's safety.

You are welcome to post your encounters here too and if a pattern from your reports ever develops, places of entry and exit could be identified and resolved.

Please inform those you know who use the trail, everyone has the potential of being the eyes and ears for a safe mountain.

Thanks

Deon

Tokai Emergency numbers:

MEDICAL...

EMT: 0722 368 368 - Fast Constantia valley based emergency medical response.

EMERGENCY...

TMNP EMERGENCY: 021 957 4700 / 0860 - Emergency network control centre

SECURITY...

TMNP SECURITY: 021 422 1601 - Table Mountain National Park Visitor Safety, Kloof Nek

FIRE...

FIRE CONTROL NEWLANDS: 021 689 7438/9 A/h standby 021 685 4913

Edited by Pain or Shine

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the SANParks rangers that they were training for Tokai in operation yet?

Heads up, they broke into my brother's Tazz in the bottom parking area about 2 hours ago while they were riding DH. Stole glasses, tools and a few other things, but completely destroyed the locks on both front doors, actually bent the metal where the lock fits in the door as well.

This is getting ridiculous!

Damn, MH. Not lekker! Unfortunately the bottom parking lot is a fair bit less secure than the top one, so I think a guard may have to be posted there.

Or train the babboons in gorilla tactics.

:ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys n Girls

The below is from the local Neighborhood Watch website. Please be careful out there, it seems as though the scum are on their way :cursing:

"I had an incident early yesterday morning whereby somebody attempted to steal my mountain bike whilst I was riding to the Tokai forest, and I thought it might be wise to alert all NWs who might be able to warn other cyclists who do the same.

The car approaches and beckons you closer almost to ask for directions, and then they attempt to steal your bike.

I was approached on Spaansgemacht Rd outside Peddlars yesterday (Sunday), morning at 07h10, but as I had an uneasy feeling I turned and bolted, and thanks to the involvement of a passing motorist who came to my assistance, the other car drove away. The driver of this car was on his phone, most likely liaising with others in the vicinity.

Two weeks back a friend of mine had a similar experience at the Manor House in the forest, and he was quick enough to dart back into the school and the guard at the boom would not let the car through.

These guys have realized that there is value in modern mountain bikes, and it would be great if you could mention a warning in future correspondence to other cyclists."

Thanks Beattbox.. I'll post this in another topic too.

This was really just a matter of time. Please be on your guard guys and girls.

ADT, Chubb, Premier all need to be aware of the risks surrounding cycling. I too will inform Parks that this has happened in their precinct, this needs to be taken into account while they train their enviro monitors.

• 1 month later...
Guest Omega Man

Some lowlife broke into a car yeasterday morning at around 9. Yes that's right. 9am on a SUNDAY morning This is without doubt Tokai's bussiest time and this POS broke into a car in full view of everyone. He was caught and arrested. EDIT: snip..

Please folks. Report anyone suspicious. And don't assume that cos it's a busy time your stuff will be safe. Unfortunately it seems that Tokai is no longer the safe haven it once was.

Edited by Pain or Shine

Hi Everyone, new to the forum. In reply to Ultimate Hubber, I caught the guy mentoned above. Yes, it did take place around 9:00 am in a packed parking lot. After I got him off the bakkie, I did kick him in the jaw, and dislodge a tooth or two.

He spilled some blood!!!

He was not alone tho. He had an accomplice in a cream bakkie. Below is a shortened version of what happened. I sent it off to the BKM Watch via a friend in Constantia.

Trying to get hold of the other cyclist who noted the number of the bakkie. It would seem as if these %$#&^% are now trying to target Tokai forest. I'm there every Sunday morning, and if I can get away in the week, I'm there in the evening.

As cycling is such a lonely sport its difficult to form proper security, but perhaps we need to talk to Chris at the Arboretum, and see what can be done over the longer term. Otherwise

Anyway, this dick didnt get away. Neither did he get her bag. I gave it back to the young lady. I have urged her to continue the case, and NOT to drop the charges. We'll see.

Regards

Mike

"Send this on to them:

On Sunday September 30. approximately 8:45 Am, a coloured, possibly black, male youth approximately 23 yrs old, in broad daylight did a smash and grab out of a car in the parking lot. He tried to make his getaway via an accomplice in a cream bakkie. Fairly new by the looks of it, or just had a major respray. He jumped onto the bakkie urging the driver to "go" "go" "go".

He was spotted breaking in by another cyclist who shouted at him. This alerted me, and I ran after them, and grabbed him off the bakkie. Along with my colleague, who helped I used the necessary force to restrain him, and he was arrested. The young lady got her bag back, minus a broken window.

The bakkie driver drove away, but his reg number was handed to the police.

They can use this in their incidence report.

Mike"

Some lowlife broke into a car yeasterday morning at around 9. Yes that's right. 9am on a SUNDAY morning This is without doubt Tokai's bussiest time and this POS broke into a car in full view of everyone. He was caught and arrested. Edited from the original post: " With any luck .... SNIP"

Please folks. Report anyone suspicious. And don't assume that cos it's a busy time your stuff will be safe. Unfortunately it seems that Tokai is no longer the safe haven it once was.

I know you're pissed off.

But that's uncalled for.

Edit: Fixed 'Dale..

Edited by Pain or Shine

Guest Omega Man

Hi Everyone, new to the forum. In reply to Ultimate Hubber, I caught the guy mentoned above. Yes, it did take place around 9:00 am in a packed parking lot.

Mike

Well done Mike. Very well done.

Hi Everyone, new to the forum. In reply to Ultimate Hubber, I caught the guy mentoned above. Yes, it did take place around 9:00 am in a packed parking lot. After I got him off the bakkie, I did kick him in the jaw, and dislodge a tooth or two.

He spilled some blood!!!

He was not alone tho. He had an accomplice in a cream bakkie. Below is a shortened version of what happened. I sent it off to the BKM Watch via a friend in Constantia.

Trying to get hold of the other cyclist who noted the number of the bakkie. It would seem as if these %$#&^% are now trying to target Tokai forest. I'm there every Sunday morning, and if I can get away in the week, I'm there in the evening.

As cycling is such a lonely sport its difficult to form proper security, but perhaps we need to talk to Chris at the Arboretum, and see what can be done over the longer term. Otherwise

Anyway, this dick didnt get away. Neither did he get her bag. I gave it back to the young lady. I have urged her to continue the case, and NOT to drop the charges. We'll see.

Regards

Mike

"Send this on to them:

On Sunday September 30. approximately 8:45 Am, a coloured, possibly black, male youth approximately 23 yrs old, in broad daylight did a smash and grab out of a car in the parking lot. He tried to make his getaway via an accomplice in a cream bakkie. Fairly new by the looks of it, or just had a major respray. He jumped onto the bakkie urging the driver to "go" "go" "go".

He was spotted breaking in by another cyclist who shouted at him. This alerted me, and I ran after them, and grabbed him off the bakkie. Along with my colleague, who helped I used the necessary force to restrain him, and he was arrested. The young lady got her bag back, minus a broken window.

The bakkie driver drove away, but his reg number was handed to the police.

They can use this in their incidence report.

Mike"

Nice, so you assault the guy by kicking him in the face, answering a crime with a crime.

I won't be surprised if these guys come back with firearms next.

Nice, so you assault the guy by kicking him in the face, answering a crime with a crime.

Maybe when guys like Mike step in and save your boyfriend from getting mugged you wouldnt have such a smug attitude as usual.

Guest Omega Man

Asking nicely for the guy to stop and wait for the police to arrive very seldom works. The person you are critisizing selflessly stopped a crime that was in progress.

Edited by Omega Man

I would have done exactly the same. In fact, I publicly state (read, "for the record") that I agree with Omega Man's original sentiments which our diplomatic friend 'Dale so spinelessly shot down. FFS 'Dale, take a stand. Reluctance to take a reasoned but uncompromising stand is what reduces us to spectators instead of men of principle and action. It's pathetic, in the true, dictionary definition of the word.