Roped into 55km 94.7

The Ghost

Ive just been roped in to the 55km 94.7 ride.

I have entered as per the challenge the guys sent out, but man do I have some work to do now.

Furthest I have ridden is 28km and that ride left me with some lekka ITB pain for a week. :eek:

ErgoFit = about R900 excl parts

Training wheel for my trainer = R2 200

Shooo

Haha for you Richard! I entered last night for the same race and distance....and I am in the same boat as you are! Most i've done is 30km so the 55km will be a challenge. HOWEVER (there is always a however) there are still a few months to get slim, fit and fast.... -----okay, maybe just a little fitter will do! :-) .............

Best thing you can do is to join a group that will push you a little more than you push yourself.

Also get your diet sorted out and start to use the right supplements when training.

A few months back I could hardly do 10km without dying. Now im ok to do 40km. Entering 40km trailseeker race in July and the 70km in September. Will most likely do the 55km 94.7 also.

Its good to set a goal in your life. Entering a race is one of the easist ways to do so.

You have entered and now have something to works towards. You can achieve a little bit more each week, and slowly you will see the results. Within the goal you have set you can also set a target - say a time to complete the race in. There are a good few months to go, but the tricky part is keeping it up through the winter months.

Keep riding, do the stationary trainer thing. This time next year that 55km will be faaaar behind you and a 70km will be a walk in the park

Indeed. Will let you guys know when our next ride is. Last ride was Paulshof to Emmerentia and back along Spruit. 40km.

Did a relaxed 20km at Northerns on Sunday and it was dead easy. Hardly broke a sweat. It's amazing how quick the body adapts. Even at 30+ years.

Richard,

I was roped in to do the Lion man 70 km with hardly any training. Finished in 6H28, my years of experience from 87 got me through this race.

You have enough time to prepare for this 55 km challenge, as said join a group, check the diet and focus on the end goal

Enjoy

Best thing you can do is to join a group that will push you a little more than you push yourself.

Also get your diet sorted out and start to use the right supplements when training.

A few months back I could hardly do 10km without dying. Now im ok to do 40km. Entering 40km trailseeker race in July and the 70km in September. Will most likely do the 55km 94.7 also.

I think Im pushing as hard as I can, remembering that I had a knee operation in Jan and Im still having trouble with it on a daily basis, if I push much harder I think it will end badly. The heart and lungs are coming along nicely, its just the legs. I wanted to be doing 30km rides from the start of this month, but the leg is telling me no. I will try about 25km this weekend, if it feels good I'll add the extra 5km's

Did you follow some kind of a plan to increase like that?

Within the goal you have set you can also set a target - say a time to complete the race in.

The guys that challenged me have set 3hrs as the time. I think thats a little ambitious for me at this stage, but thats not going to stop me from trying to get there.

Only thing I followed was DaSH82's rear wheel on the rides.

I would really take it easy with that knee. My advice would be to rather lower the avg km/h and increase the distance to help the legs get used to longer rides.

yup...good challenge for me and I am actually looking forward to it. (the fact that I may lose a R1000 bet is also a little motivation!!) :w00t: :w00t:

2 decent spinning classes in the week and 1 ride per weekend increasing the distance progressively and you'll be fine.

Heres the catch, I dont have the money to join a gym right now (will review that at the end of the month, but I need to do a bike fit and get that training wheel), and I have 2 little ones at home, so Im getting to ride once a week. I am however determined to get this right, I just have to make the adjustments at home slowly... :whistling:

Little secret Richard.......Solomons do a bike fit for FREE. Yup for mahala money. Dont know why or if there's a catch but give them a call and see. It may not be the most technical or sophisticated fitting but I think they will be able to get the basics into line.... :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

Morning guys... I just wanted to ask how your guy's training was coming along for this? I'm needing to perhaps find a group to keep me motivated and going to do some decent races. Not waning a podium or anything, just simple need to finish.