2012 94.7

Agteros

Jeez, talk about seeing a race from a different perspective! But the 6:13:32 that the old girl and I did is 20 seconds faster than the 2009 version we did together.... And she was on the deck twice! Thankfully not too hectic incidents. Highly doubt she has another ride in her, unless she prepares better in future. if not, I'll get a crack at racing this, so plus either way!

Still amazed at how hilly this course is! It's like the perfect interval training route! Well done to all who finished, with the weird windy conditions that left the course oddly feeling like it had an almost constant headwind.

Oh and backmarkers have no idea about most things to do with group riding! Mom's first take down was someone trying to overtake her on the left in no room and hooking handlebars! Going uphill and practically a fall over. (her 2nd was stopping at a water table with feet still stuck in cleats...)

Thanks Jozi, the event is certainly improving! I'll be back!

(Had a look for you capcha but couldn't see you. Hope you enjoyed the day too!)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, talk about seeing a race from a different perspective! But the 6:13:32 that the old girl and I did is 20 seconds faster than the 2009 version we did together.... And she was on the deck twice! Thankfully not too hectic incidents. Highly doubt she has another ride in her, unless she prepares better in future. if not, I'll get a crack at racing this, so plus either way!

Still amazed at how hilly this course is! It's like the perfect interval training route! Well done to all who finished, with the weird windy conditions that left the course oddly feeling like it had an almost constant headwind.

Oh and backmarkers have no idea about most things to do with group riding! Mom's first take down was someone trying to overtake her on the left in no room and hooking handlebars! Going uphill and practically a fall over. (her 2nd was stopping at a water table with feet still stuck in cleats...)

Thanks Jozi, the event is certainly improving! I'll be back!

(Had a look for you capcha but couldn't see you. Hope you enjoyed the day too!)

Gees bud your moms a fighter.Other moms would have given up, good on her. I was on KOM till 14:00 then left to go get a well deserved liquid...Man it was hot. Well done to u and your mom. Will catch up with you next time. Back home in mother city, time for sleep Edited by Capcha Photography

wow!! I'm only 68kg so I doubt I could've gone any faster besides I like a clear view of the path ahead hence I don't sit the slip of other riders.

I got 82km/h with my 59kg's. :)

I saw things from a COMPLETELY different perspective. My respect for folk who do crazy things and sit out there for hours on end shot through the roof (and I already respected and admired them before). I did two "crazy" things for the first time.

1) I rode in a cow suit. Due to the heat I did end up rolling the sleeves up and tying the arms around my waist at the end of the M1 section.

2) I also helped to pull an ice cream bike for a bit. 60kg of unstable treacherous ice cream bike. The guys and gals who are on those things need nerves of steel. Difficult to steer, impossible to maneuver in order to "dodge" other riders and NOT the best brakes. Our bike started with only 3 "helpers" and me for support. About 100m after the start some guy at the side of the road stepped backwards into us (don't know why as he was looking over his shoulder right at us) and took out one of our helpers by proceeding to stand on our guys' back wheel. I'm no good at pushing (prefer both hands on the bars) so I hooked up the tow rope and helped on some of the tougher spots until our Apocalypse Cow got to us on his second lap. We then lost our brakes completely about 15km from the end. Boy was that scary. Watching from behind as the pushers became brakers to stop the ice cream bike gaining too much speed.

I did take strain and stopped for a leg rub just after the last water table, but not having stopped with my team they passed me as I was getting back on my bike, so we finished together in just over 7 hours, the longest I've ever taken to do a distance like this (heck, I did the Jock in less time!). My goal for next year is to be fit and strong enough to help pull from the very start until our Apocalypse Cow gets to us ;-)

Must say I was shocked at how many people ride with mp3 players so loud you can hear it riding next to them. Back markers seriously also need to learn to not just stop in the middle of the road and to keep left if they are walking.

I saw things from a COMPLETELY different perspective. My respect for folk who do crazy things and sit out there for hours on end shot through the roof (and I already respected and admired them before). I did two "crazy" things for the first time.

1) I rode in a cow suit. Due to the heat I did end up rolling the sleeves up and tying the arms around my waist at the end of the M1 section.

2) I also helped to pull an ice cream bike for a bit. 60kg of unstable treacherous ice cream bike. The guys and gals who are on those things need nerves of steel. Difficult to steer, impossible to maneuver in order to "dodge" other riders and NOT the best brakes. Our bike started with only 3 "helpers" and me for support. About 100m after the start some guy at the side of the road stepped backwards into us (don't know why as he was looking over his shoulder right at us) and took out one of our helpers by proceeding to stand on our guys' back wheel. I'm no good at pushing (prefer both hands on the bars) so I hooked up the tow rope and helped on some of the tougher spots until our Apocalypse Cow got to us on his second lap. We then lost our brakes completely about 15km from the end. Boy was that scary. Watching from behind as the pushers became brakers to stop the ice cream bike gaining too much speed.

I did take strain and stopped for a leg rub just after the last water table, but not having stopped with my team they passed me as I was getting back on my bike, so we finished together in just over 7 hours, the longest I've ever taken to do a distance like this (heck, I did the Jock in less time!). My goal for next year is to be fit and strong enough to help pull from the very start until our Apocalypse Cow gets to us ;-)

Must say I was shocked at how many people ride with mp3 players so loud you can hear it riding next to them. Back markers seriously also need to learn to not just stop in the middle of the road and to keep left if they are walking.

Wwell done.I am full of admiration for you crazy lot

wow!! I'm only 68kg so I doubt I could've gone any faster besides I like a clear view of the path ahead hence I don't sit the slip of other riders.

68!!!!!!! dude get your wife to feed you more clap.gif

well done dude. I fully support the cows and give encouragement where is can.

My only complaint is the hangers (non cow people) on that take up the entire road next to you trying to have a chat, they make it difficult to get past.

Well done slowpoke! Were you part of the group that finished just before cut-off?

well done dude. I fully support the cows and give encouragement where is can.

My only complaint is the hangers (non cow people) on that take up the entire road next to you trying to have a chat, they make it difficult to get past.

When the road is wide it's nice to have them there, and to let them know what CHOC is about and how we support ChOC, but trust me, we find it even more hair raising than you do when the road narrows! Some of them also cause the "pushers" to have to let go of the bike and then we lose momentum which really sucks :-(

Well done slowpoke! Were you part of the group that finished just before cut-off?

We were, I think, the second last bunch in... I'd rushed to just in front of the finish line to make sure there were no exhausted riders who would get run over by our brake-less bike :-) Then I crossed the actual line with the team :-D

I had a nigtmare on the road.... Was aimong for a sub 3:30, but after 5 flats, 4 new tubes, 6 bombs, 2km walk on the N14 to the waterpiont and then a "second chance" tyre, managed a 4:05...

I'm not happy chappy this morning, was more frustrating than anything else...

My race was over from the 30km mark, as I got my first flat and was in the leading bunch of the K group...

I think it's worse when you are physically strong enough but mechanically everything just went wrong...

Now worst of all, I messed up my seeding for next year as I will probably start in a later group...

It's probably all part of the sport, but sjit, yesterday was awful to say the least....

My first road race .3h20 on MTB .Started in group mm and avoided traffic from the gun .Rode hard to get a better seeding for next year .Highspeed crash in front of me when fast female rider tried passing between 2 riding buddies riding abreast .Hopefully will be in better seeding position next year .I think I might get a road bike and do more road cycling

My first road race .3h20 on MTB .Started in group mm and avoided traffic from the gun .Rode hard to get a better seeding for next year .Highspeed crash in front of me when fast female rider tried passing between 2 riding buddies riding abreast .Hopefully will be in better seeding position next year .I think I might get a road bike and do more road cycling

Well done Blitzer!! 3h20m outa group MM on MTB is awesome!clap.gif Must have been the Cape Pioneer Trek riding that made you so strong!!thumbup1.gif Get that road bike, its easier on maintenance and good for training.....hope to see you at the coast in December and at Joberg2C next year!w00t.gif

After a year of road racing, as I am a MTB'er at heart, this was my 2nd 94.7 (it's the first road race that I've done twice). I somehow got seeded in group A (last year I started out of group LL), but for a 44 year old, that laaities have got no respect for their elders.....http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png .....A bunch is surely not for me. But, I am happy with my 2h43m. I was indeed well organised and I'll take the wind and heat above rain any day!!! Well done to all who finished!thumbup1.gif ......I'll be back.w00t.gif