Tour de France 2012

'Dale

Who will win the 2012 Tour de France?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The 2012 Tour De France?

• Cadel Evans
    • Frank Schleck
    • Bradley Wiggins
    • Jurgen van der Broeck
    • Levi Leipheimer
    • Robert Gesink
    • Vincenzo Nibali
    • Alejandro Valverde
    • Other (please specify)

Sagan admitted in a post-race interview that he couldn't take a pull as Fabian was just too strong.

Whether that is gamesmanship or not, I dunno.

I do believe when Spartacus puts his head down and fire those pistons, the field splits!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangle Spartacus IS GREAT, I think too much is being made of Sagan sucking his wheel for his debut win in his debut stage in his debut tour.

Spartacus will do that again and again, he is so strong when he jumps but he will rarely win if someone goes with him.

Look a win is a win, I would love to be Sagan right now, having a TDF stage win to ones name is something none many will be able to boast about.

I just don't think what he did yesterday was masterly executed.

The only real savvy he had is that he knew that a yellow jersey on someones shoulder means that they ride like a man possessed.

He sat their sucking wheel knowing that Fabian wanted time, knowing he could outs-print Fabian, he simply could have taken lead wheel for a second or two, take the sprint and earned more respect.

Cancellara must rethink his tactics.

He lost many a races with his going all guns blazing.

Other riders have been exploiting that.

I'm glad he managed to retain yellow.

If you were in Cancellara's shoes yesterday what would you have done different that would achieved the result of increasing your time lead.

If you were in Cancellara's shoes yesterday what would you have done different that would achieved the result of increasing your time lead.

I agree, Scotty, he was intending to maintain or increase his lead in yellow.

His team was working for him for most of the day.

He admitted that he didn't mind Sagan taking the win.

He was a bit eina because, with all his effort, he couldn't increase the lead as the bunch was awarded the same time by the race officials.

I feel for him there. :wacko:

Look a win is a win, I would love to be Sagan right now, having a TDF stage win to ones name is something none many will be able to boast about.

I just don't think what he did yesterday was masterly executed.

The only real savvy he had is that he knew that a yellow jersey on someones shoulder means that they ride like a man possessed.

He sat their sucking wheel knowing that Fabian wanted time, knowing he could outs-print Fabian, he simply could have taken lead wheel for a second or two, take the sprint and earned more respect.

Fabian wants stages

Unless of course you are a Sagan fan and a little besotted by the youngster.

Respect gets earned and in the world of professional cycling, winning many races in one season doesn't neccesarily bring that respect.

That's why we love the Jens and the Sparticus.

That's why people love Pantani and Zabel to name a few.

My guess, and if I am wrong, I will humbly apologise, but this three week fiasco is going to eat this youngster alive.

I doubt that

At the age of 22 Sagan is considered to be one of cycling's most promising talents,[5] having won two stages at Paris–Nice, one at the Tour de Romandie, two and the overall classification at the Tour de Pologne, a record eight at the Tour of California,[6] six at the Tour de Suisse, three at the Vuelta a España as well as the overall classification and three stages of the Giro di Sardegna and one stage at 2012 Tour de France

I didn't see anyone strong enough that were able to hang on to Fabian the way Sagan did and still had enough legs to power past Fabian and take the win. Isn't this road cycling and part of the "tactics" of a road cyclist? Should Sagan just have sat on Fabians wheel over the finish line and say there you go Fab it's yours because you worked a little harder then me? Really??

Sagan won fair and square and if someone else made the jump Sagan would've been on him like a leach as well, but perhaps they would've been caught by the group and he wouldn't have won. We will never know will we. GO Sagan :clap:

All in all, only at Stage 1 and so much drama, hype and lekka racing already. Awesome!

Two nr 2 GC contenders for Team Sky and Omega Pharma puncturing in the last 10 kms.

Sagan getting his 1st win in TdF.

Spartacus in yellow, which is always lekka. Must be good for Team RNT.

Veteran Leipheimer fighting to stay in touch.

Crashes, crashes, crashes. One involved a photographer who got in line with the passing bunch.

etc.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That's exactly the point here.

As for Sagan saying Fab's was too strong, it's as poor an excuse as getting clen from steak.

Fab's sat up giving him the opportunity to com through and do some work.

Fabian wants stages

I doubt that

At the age of 22 Sagan is considered to be one of cycling's most promising talents,[5] having won two stages at Paris–Nice, one at the Tour de Romandie, two and the overall classification at the Tour de Pologne, a record eight at the Tour of California,[6] six at the Tour de Suisse, three at the Vuelta a España as well as the overall classification and three stages of the Giro di Sardegna and one stage at 2012 Tour de France

Let's wait and see.

Should Sagan just have sat on Fabians wheel over the finish line and say there you go Fab it's yours because you worked a little harder then me? Really??

No, he could have taken lead wheel for a second or two and then taken the win.

I agree, Scotty, he was intending to maintain or increase his lead in yellow.

His team was working for him for most of the day.

He admitted that he didn't mind Sagan taking the win.

He was a bit eina because, with all his effort, he couldn't increase the lead as the bunch was awarded the same time by the race officials.

I feel for him there. :wacko:

Perhaps Cancerella should have sat up when Sagan sat, let the bunch catch them then let Sagan have a go trying to out sprint the bunch with perhaps Cavendish in the mix.

That would have been genius of Cancerella. :devil:

Sagan admitted in a post-race interview that he couldn't take a pull as Fabian was just too strong. Whether that is gamesmanship or not, I dunno. I do believe when Spartacus puts his head down and fire those pistons, the field splits!

Not gamesmanship.....don't think there is any body in procycling that can match that power over 5 to 10 minutes, especially not on a road bike....maybe TT(maybe) because of frontal drag at that speed but not power over time...not power to weight, absolute power.

That is part of he's problem, he is a big guy so he takes more time to get up to speed from a slow pace like that climb...because of he's weight he had to wait until the climb flattened out but then he is to slow to get up to speed so guy's like Sagan will find it easy to get onto he's wheel.

He needs to clear the bunch when no one can take he's wheel before he gets up to speed.

Perhaps Cancerella should have sat up when Sagan sat, let the bunch catch them then let Sagan have a go trying to out sprint the bunch with perhaps Cavendish in the mix.

That would have been genius of Cancerella. :devil:

It would've been genius, but we all know who was the real genius :whistling:

edit: video recap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmoT3ab-Mk&feature=player_embedded

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Interesting that Brad was left on he's own for most of the final 5km with Evans having all the support in front until they hit the climb.Sky basicly lost it a bit in those last 10km and Wiggens was on he's own most of the time. Easy to spot him with green on and that helmet of him!!

Gesink looking strong(hope he stays on he’s bike!)

Evans also looking very comfortable.

Wiggens easily also gained about 5places on the steep section.