No Hare

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he doesn't drink cheap booze?

the epitome of an ear-grating phrase that means nothing

Chill V. Just a saying that we can all identify with, the stuff that makes us Saffas. Embrace those things, they special. Like " Here Kitty, come get a naaartjie" or " Come on Bongani" or " Met eish ya". Sweet.

I’ve been hesitant to identify the area and will still not.

Somewhere north of Cape Town there is a military base... The perimeter fencing of the military area is so porous that for intents and purposes it does not exist. The inhabitants of the adjacent township use the military road running parallel to the “fence” as shortcut to get to the industrial area and work.

No cyclist with common sense will use this road for recreational cycling; actually no person commuting by bike, cycle or by foot will use this road at night. But I did.

Enough said.

I am trying to upload pictures.

Presently I have a normal pepper spray canister cable tied to the bike. I am waiting until the end of the month and a trip to Town to get another SWAT grenade to put in place.

Well done! Glad everything worked out.

Waiting to hear where this happened? I ride quite often in the norther suburbs and thought this only happened in the north of the country. I will have to consider some form of protection in the future.

Happens every where now...we as cyclists are weak targets.

Bastards!!!!

Chill V. Just a saying that we can all identify with, the stuff that makes us Saffas. Embrace those things, they special. Like " Here Kitty, come get a naaartjie" or " Come on Bongani" or " Met eish ya". Sweet.

"Here Kitty, come get a naaartjie" - now that's one I schmaack to try out sometime! :clap:

"Here Kitty, come get a naaartjie" - now that's one I schmaack to try out sometime! :clap:

Only a matter of time till the same crap arrives at NF and the Spruit :wacko: :cursing:

This is the setup on my commuter

Although this is “direct spray” and not a grenade the setup is the same.

1 Pouch

1 canister of pain

Velcro straps or cable ties

I like using the pouch for the following reason. When I see the possibility of trouble I can reach quickly for the spray and be ready for that bark, bite or “hello, my larney…” And there were I need to walk into a shop or work I can put in my backpack without someone accidently activating it while still attached to the bike.

Nice thing about the setup is the cost. The pouch will set you back about R20-00 and the cable ties are about 20c each. The Velcro strap- alternative is about R6-00 per meter or as in my case, I used the back strap off an old pair of crocs.

That it, cheers.

post-26304-0-95051700-1339831072.jpg

Good story. Just out of interest what happened after you gave the guy a solid burst of pepper spray? did you get the cops involved and the guy arrested or did you just ride off. Glad you're still in one piece.

No cyclist with common sense will use this road for recreational cycling; actually no person commuting by bike, cycle or by foot will use this road at night. But I did.

Enough said.

Glad u are okay, but take heed of your own advice and stay away from the place? Would be like someone riding through Diepsloot at night on your own....

Scared of the cops? Why are you scared of the cops? What are you hiding?

Man up

i support the OP's decision to not involve the cops.

using pepperspray, even in self-defence is VERY serious. a friend of mine was once charged with "assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm" - that, my friends, is one charge below attempt at murder.

my mate was fetched by the police from his house at 1am, cuffed, thrown into a police van, and then and locked in a cell for using pepperspray in self defence on his own property!

sure, the prosecutor threw the case out before it even went to court, but the traumatisation, legal fees, and bull***t he had to endure to keep himself out of jail and from getting a record left a bad taste in his mouth.

the fact of the matter is that the police in this country like to get back at the white man by pulling stunts such as the one mentioned above. they stick up for their previously disadvantaged friends by taking the word of the criminal over the word of the victim.

do you want that kind of trouble for yourself by involving the police, even if you know you acted in self defence???

i don't!

i also ride with pepperspray, and have used it too when a security guard at an open-mall tried to "confiscate" my bike while i was pushing it along and looking in the windows of the shops.

confiscate? confiscate?

CONFISCTATE THIS!

post-32176-0-25289600-1340043977.jpg

Edited by sadamhussein

the fact of the matter is that the police in this country like to get back at the white man by pulling stunts such as the one mentioned above. they stick up for their previously disadvantaged friends by taking the word of the criminal over the word of the victim.

do you want that kind of trouble for yourself by involving the police, even if you know you acted in self defence???

That's a pretty sweeping statement to say the least there. There are a hell of a lot of countries that you'd be charged with assault if you pepper sprayed a person, the investigation process would determine if was self defence.

Not sure you have to make it a race issue.

I've had bad experiences with cops in the UK, Aus, the US, Spain, Moz and a whole lot more places (some time because of them and some times because of me) but I've also had very good experiences for the majority.

All my dealings with SA cops have been brilliant so far. On Friday a friend of mine tried to kill herself and as I was trying to get to her across town my wife called the police. The speed I was driving it probably took me about 9 minutes to get to her place and the cops pitched up at the same time. They were outstanding for any country - professional, efficient and caring.

The cops here have a very tough time from blacks and whites across the board I reckon over here, some justified, some not.