Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

to my original question - Does la suck or not? A simple yes or no will do but reading through your post you should answer no because he opted to dope, deny it and carry on denying it. Interesting that you use the term "stabbed him in the back" as that is exactly what he did when they left the team.

Does LA suck or not? Seriously, you want the whole issue boiled down to a 2 option, multi-choice question.

He was the best at what he did at the time he did it - cycling, and with what we are hearing now, doping too. I'm not sure "suck" or "doesn't suck" really has any relevance.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't about the past or punishing LA or Bruyneel or even about us and how we relate to idols fallen or otherwise. Only a supreme egoist would think so. It's about protecting current and future athletes.

Cyclists who chose not to dope could not compete and their careers were terminated or who did speak up at the time and had their careers terminated by the system. I can understand why Hincapie didn't do a Floyd or Hamilton, those guys were crucified for speaking up even though they did so after being caught.

To stop the doping the system has to hunt witches, even politically connected and powerful witches, and burn them at the stake. Knowing that you might be nailed, even the future, may prevent you from cheating now.

Look at the triathlon he did last week, was he clean? Was it fair to some aspiring champ who is clean?

He isn't bigger than the sport. Burn him to clean out the rot.

Go, Goyagoya, go.

Would like to know what Liggett has to say about this.

Isn't it time for UCI esp McQuaid to make a statement?

Phil has already made a tit of himself in this matter.

Fat Pat needs time to "peruse the report".

Read the usada Report. La was the mastermind. He manipulated and controlled uci and teammates. Hence the stricter sentence.

Not that the other we're innocent, but seriously. Read the report

It's not the life penalty that irks me - it's the 6 month sentence. They all lied, cheated, stole and benefitted greatly thanks to doping. They weren't innocent or had drugs forced down their throats...

The least they could do is remove all titles from the first evidence of drug taking and have all prizes money, salaries and sponsorship repaid.

Banning then after they've retired and removing some ink out of the winner's sheets but allowing them to keep the loot is crazy. At least get them (and Lance) to repay all the prize money they won, salaries they earned and sponsorship they were given. Perhaps if current pros saw old pros begging at street corners they'd think twice about doping.

It isn't about the past or punishing LA or Bruyneel or even about us and how we relate to idols fallen or otherwise. Only a supreme egoist would think so. It's about protecting current and future athletes.

Cyclists who chose not to dope could not compete and their careers were terminated or who did speak up at the time and had their careers terminated by the system. I can understand why Hincapie didn't do a Floyd or Hamilton, those guys were crucified for speaking up even though they did so after being caught.

To stop the doping the system has to hunt witches, even politically connected and powerful witches, and burn them at the stake. Knowing that you might be nailed, even the future, may prevent you from cheating now.

Look at the triathlon he did last week, was he clean? Was it fair to some aspiring champ who is clean?

He isn't bigger than the sport. Burn him to clean out the rot.

Go, Goyagoya, go.

You're going to have to go a lot further back than LA though to find and burn the witches. He might have been the leader of this doping ring, but he didn't invent doping and came into the sport fresh faced and innocent at some stage and got sucked into doping by others who had established the trend way before he got involved.

As someone posted earlier - there's going to be a lot of empty podiums if you really want to hunt witches good and proper.

It's not the life penalty that irks me - it's the 6 month sentence. They all lied, cheated, stole and benefitted greatly thanks to doping. They weren't innocent or had drugs forced down their throats...

The least they could do is remove all titles from the first evidence of drug taking and have all prizes money, salaries and sponsorship repaid.

Banning then after they've retired and removing some ink out of the winner's sheets but allowing them to keep the loot is crazy. At least get them (and Lance) to repay all the prize money they won, salaries they earned and sponsorship they were given. Perhaps if current pros saw old pros begging at street corners they'd think twice about doping.

You are upset because some were punished more than other?

Some had more glory than others, got more out of cheating than anyone else.

Life isn't fair.

Funny thing is, had he chosen to partake in the proceedings the life ban would not have been enforced and only two titles would have been stripped... His own ego betrayed him this time.

You're going to have to go a lot further back than LA though to find and burn the witches. He might have been the leader of this doping ring, but he didn't invent doping and came into the sport fresh faced and innocent at some stage and got sucked into doping by others who had established the trend way before he got involved.

As someone posted earlier - there's going to be a lot of empty podiums if you really want to hunt witches good and proper.

You burn the witches you can catch. The statute of limitations protacts some and empty podiums arent the end of the world.

There's always the argument about how far it went back. Drugs have forever been in cycling, but EPO changed everything. Read Laurent Fignon's autobiography. He describes came along at the twilight of his career. He admits to doping, but never took EPO. Some soigneurs in his era did supply banned substances to riders, but most riders obtained the stuff for themselves.

What the current Usada case is about is an organised doping ring of unprecedented size run by the team.

Funny thing is, had he chosen to partake in the proceedings the life ban would not have been enforced and only two titles would have been stripped... His own ego betrayed him this time.

That's what i was thinking.

You are upset because some were punished more than other?

Some had more glory than others, got more out of cheating than anyone else.

Life isn't fair.

If the totality of this investigation is that 1 man gets a life ban and 6 others get 6 month bans and a few record books are rewritten I'd say it was a complete waste of money.

I'm all for life not being fair but 6 months versus life? Thats quite some disparity.

And they all get to keep their ill gotten gains.

The money on this investigation would have been better spent buying EPO for the current crop of pros and livening up the tour a bit.

If the totality of this investigation is that 1 man gets a life ban and 6 others get 6 month bans and a few record books are rewritten I'd say it was a complete waste of money.

I'm all for life not being fair but 6 months versus life? Thats quite some disparity.

And they all get to keep their ill gotten gains.

The money on this investigation would have been better spent buying EPO for the current crop of pros and livening up the tour a bit.

Read the report. Lifetime ban will seem lenient when you're finished

So Vaughter gets to keep his job.

Barry probably won't be fired.

Nike are supporting Livestrong's latest footballing venture.

Hincapie can retire to his palace in Orange County.

Bruyneel is still earning his money DSing in cycling.

It's business as usual for Ferrari.

So what exactly did this investigation accomplish?

They proved that Lance doped and that he "forced" others to dope. Thats about as surprising as finding out the sun is rising in the east tomorrow.

Pathetic.

So Vaughter gets to keep his job.

Barry probably won't be fired.

Nike are supporting Livestrong's latest footballing venture.

Hincapie can retire to his palace in Orange County.

Bruyneel is still earning his money DSing in cycling.

It's business as usual for Ferrari.

So what exactly did this investigation accomplish?

They proved that Lance doped and that he "forced" others to dope. Thats about as surprising as finding out the sun is rising in the east tomorrow.

Pathetic.

You sound seriously butthurt :)

At the end of the day it doesn't really impact our lives much. I still look forward to riding my bikes every chance I get

Read the report. Lifetime ban will seem lenient when you're finished

If you're saying that there are more harsh sentences round the corner then I'm all for it.

If you're saying that Lance is getting off lightly because he's a very very very bad man then my opinion is still that USADA wasted their time, money and resources.

If you're saying that there are more harsh sentences round the corner then I'm all for it.

If you're saying that Lance is getting off lightly because he's a very very very bad man then my opinion is still that USADA wasted their time, money and resources.

What should they have done with their resources?