Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

Grumps, Hincapie, Leipheimer and Zabriskie are pretty much at the end of their careers anyway.

Probably, but what a poor way to exit.

As much as many like to ridicule Evans he is squeaky clean in every department and in my opinion that makes him an excellent ambassador of the sport.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D - I know what you mean, but in reality the average american sports fan holds massive media power and they are not scared to speak out.

As an American athlete, getting on to the wrong side of the american fan is tantamount to committing sporting suicide.

Quite true when it comes to their sports media. I think the TdF media is still controlled by the european media moguls. I suspect it would ruin chances of American sponsorship money though. ESPN prefer to broadcast poker than the TdF, so it cannot be too high in the media eyes.

I agree that the athletes will be the ones that suffer, but then again...american cyclists are and have been aware of this too, and they still manage to grow and excell internationally :thumbup:

101SCC, I would love to know what was said under oath in the Grand Jury probe, but that apparently is sealed testimony - although the Lance camp has accused them of illegally obtaining it.

Lets hope that there is nothing illegal so that if the testimony had been made it cannot be thrown out on a technicality. The persecution prosecution of LA and others by USADA should play by the book so that there can be no grey area.

101SCC, I would love to know what was said under oath in the Grand Jury probe, but that apparently is sealed testimony - although the Lance camp has accused them of illegally obtaining it.

TW, think we all know what was said.

Can they use it?

If there is a way to snake out of this LA's hit squad will exploit it.

this is not over till the fat Johan Bruyneel sings!

Quite true when it comes to their sports media. I think the TdF media is still controlled by the european media moguls. I suspect it would ruin chances of American sponsorship money though. ESPN prefer to broadcast poker than the TdF, so it cannot be too high in the media eyes.

I agree that the athletes will be the ones that suffer, but then again...american cyclists are and have been aware of this too, and they still manage to grow and excell internationally :thumbup:

Yeah, not to Hijack the thread but if you want to see American sport fans and the absolute media power they wield, take a trip to Daytona and go to a Nascar sport event, they routinely fill 250.000 (thats two hundred and fifty thousand) seats for every race and its broadcast non stop on every American sport channel, sometimes for almost the entire day with the preliminary events etc. The drivers are absolute sport icons and earn millions for one race, Thats American sport fan power.!

Scotty, Grumps, it gets even murkier...what if the source of the "leak" to the paper is one of the "accused" in the case? What if this is a case of misinformation started by the Lance camp? Which team DS writes a column for the newspaper in question? Mmmmm...

101SCC, my understanding is that it can't be used at all.

The more I've been reading today shifts the significance of the timing of these latest claims. The dirty tricks have started.

To adapt a recent Armstrong quote: "There's their dirt. There's our dirt. We like our dirt."

Which team DS writes a column for the newspaper in question? Mmmmm...

I dunno...tell us

Scotty, Grumps, it gets even murkier...what if the source of the "leak" to the paper is one of the "accused" in the case? What if this is a case of misinformation started by the Lance camp? Which team DS writes a column for the newspaper in question? Mmmmm...

To be a fly on the wall :)

101SCC, my understanding is that it can't be used at all.

The more I've been reading today shifts the significance of the timing of these latest claims. The dirty tricks have started.

To adapt a recent Armstrong quote: "There's their dirt. There's our dirt. We like our dirt."

It will be played out in the media for sure.

Lance has loads of cash to throw at this problem, clever guys (earning loads of cash) can make magic happen!

.......but why would they do that, I cant see what they can gain.?

Swissvan, the name Johan Bruyneel ring a bell? ;-)

Wasn't that the Hunchback of Notre Dame.... hat...coat....door.

It will be played out in the media for sure.

Lance has loads of cash to throw at this problem, clever guys (earning loads of cash) can make magic happen!

You need a bit more than a few loads of cash in the US supreme court, think back to a few famous cases, Michael Jackson's doctor been one, a figure of $70 million costs for the proceeding was quoted, if LA loses with costs in a civil case. $70 million is going to dent any bank account. :rolleyes:

..........just to clarify, the good doctor was bankrupted by the proceedings and a portion of his legal fees remain unpaid.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Grumps, the LA camp hinged their original objection to USADA charges on discredited sources and offers of immunity to them. This was a bad assumption. They also claimed that their testimony had been obtained illegally. Again, bad assumption. Now, it seems, the sources may be credible - ie, the peeps named today - and now there is a need to discredit them too?

Grumps, the LA camp hinged their original objection to USADA charges on discredited sources and offers of immunity to them. This was a bad assumption. They also claimed that their testimony had been obtained illegally. Again, bad assumption. Now, it seems, the sources may be credible - ie, the peeps named today - and now there is a need to discredit them too?

Okay, I see where you are coming from, ........maybe, seems a bit odd, but yeah, could be, I dont know.