Schwalbe Tyres - Pffft

Cav'

Bought a new bike last week , the OEM tyres are Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 Evo tubeless ready.

Now is it just me or is it the Sh1ttest tyres in the world!

Took it for it's maiden trip at Groennies this weekend and got 4 punctures - FFS 4 in one day!

(Luckily I had 3 patches and 1 spare tube :cursing: )

On my all my previous bikes I ran UST's (Conti's,Crossmarks,Vredensteins)

and probably got 2 punctures in the last 3 years.

Now I thought let me just hang ten and get the tubeless conversion next weekend and try these tyres out first.- mistake

Now the question is - do i convert these to UST OR get new UST tyres rather?

(the Racing Ralph's side walls are so thin its weird almost) - the grips not that good either tbh

- Who uses these and like them? :ph34r:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its not the snakeskin version, they are pretty kuk wrt sidewalls. Bin them and get the proper snakeskin versions

Ya not sure - obviously i would like to just convert these to UST to save cost but damn they're thin tyres

As far as grip is concerned, they're super shi!t. Can't WAIT to get new tyres.

It may just be the Rocket Ron's, so correct me if I'm wrong.

But so far my miles on Schwalbe tyres have been full of unnecessary sliding around and flats.

new tyres! schwalbe sucks

I tend to agree - Thinking Conti Race king rear and Conti Mountain king front...

Ya not sure - obviously i would like to just convert these to UST to save cost but damn they're thin tyres

You are wasting your time and money, bin them, the standard evo schwalbe's are hondnaai. Get the snakskin version(500 a pop) and you won't look back.

We don't even allow riders without either ust or tyre liners to ride with us around Pta, because we ended up spending too much time waiting for puncture repairs. I've got Racing Ralphs in my training set, but I've got tyre liners in. 1 puncture in 3 years.

I've had plenty Schwalbes. If you watch where you go you're usually fine. I do find they slice pretty easy though, even on the running service between the knobs. Nothing a well placed patch on the inside can't fix though. I've cut them but fixed them a few times. My Rocket Rons has lasted for about a year now. Racing Ralphs, not really my fave choice. For me RR's have pretty good grip, they are fat tyres with nice open knobs.

We don't even allow riders without either ust or tyre liners to ride with us around Pta, because we ended up spending too much time waiting for puncture repairs. I've got Racing Ralphs in my training set, but I've got tyre liners in. 1 puncture in 3 years.

You're lucky

I love these tires and I ride twice a day at Groenkloof, every day, and had one puncture in 2 years since I moved from specialized tires (and 2 Stan's burps). You absolutely cannot beat them for rolling distance and they're incredibly grippy for such a fast tire, but yes you're crazy to run anything but the snakeskin version (I'm pretty sure you have it though, as it only comes in 2,25) and running anything but tubeless in this country is insane, but the snakeskin is tubeless ready not UST.

I do find that they don't tolerate very low pressures easily although the rocket Ron and nobby nic seem to handle that a bit better (both slightly better options as a front tire than the RR's especially around Groenkloof).

The only foreward I must say if you do decide to upgrade to the snakeskin is don't expect them to have very good wear (at all). I replace back tire every 2 months (2500km) and front every 3, although I do ride often and hard.