AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Have you seen some manufacturers min pressure recommendations on the sidewalls? Onza Ibex for example  recommends 2.5bar min.

p4pb11615163.jpg

some of the conti's want 3bar, however I have run them as low as 1.1 but thats with the thick sidewall of the de kaser projeKt

I know. It's stupid. IMO

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have run the onza low, the roll too much and when too hard they slip too much. So somewhere between 1.8 and 2.5 bar for me. Still need to find the sweet spot

I've been running mine around the 20 - 23psi with my ibex on the front and not had to many issues. I might up the pressure and see how they go on the next ride but they do seem quite hard for me when they go above 26psi odd. 

I've been running mine around the 20 - 23psi with my ibex on the front and not had to many issues. I might up the pressure and see how they go on the next ride but they do seem quite hard for me when they go above 26psi odd. 

When I had an Ibex out front I ran similar pressures but found most pressures above 22 psi to contribute more to the wash out feeling (especially in loose over hardpack). Now with a Citius out front I have found 18-19 psi to offer a good sweet spot for me. With the Ibex on the back I run it at 28-30 psi without any noticeable issues. And I sit on the heavier end of rider weight...

I weigh 90kg. Run the Ground Control Grid 2.3" at 26psi and the Minion DHF DD 2.3" front at 28 psi.  Works for me, but still playing around.  Front may be a tad hard still, but I am a front heavy rider.

Schwalbe have just re-launched their tyres with new compounds, with a claimed increase in durability across ALL compounds, when compared to the current PaceStar compound. Grip, damping and rolling resistance also reportedly increased due to their new formulations.  

They're calling it their ADDIX compound formulation, and it comes in 4 flavours. 

Race

RaceSpeed

Soft

SuperSoft

https://www.schwalbe.com/addix-compound/

Schwalbe have just re-launched their tyres with new compounds, with a claimed increase in durability across ALL compounds, when compared to the current PaceStar compound. Grip, damping and rolling resistance also reportedly increased due to their new formulations.  

They're calling it their ADDIX compound formulation, and it comes in 4 flavours. 

Race

RaceSpeed

Soft

SuperSoft

Very Formula 1 of them.

I see that only the Mary and Dan are available in SuperSoft. Clearly more focussed on being competition use only (unless you've got bags of cash to burn on tyres).  

I have put a plugged Rock Razor on the front of my bike - for fun. So far it has only done dirt road bashing with one steep 67km/h gravel descent. It rolls fast and I didnt notice any odd braking or steering issues over the weekend. Still need to test it on some fast and rocky stuff with corners, but I suspect that on firm and dry terrain it will work fine. Lets see...

I have put a plugged Rock Razor on the front of my bike - for fun. So far it has only done dirt road bashing with one steep 67km/h gravel descent. It rolls fast and I didnt notice any odd braking or steering issues over the weekend. Still need to test it on some fast and rocky stuff with corners, but I suspect that on firm and dry terrain it will work fine. Lets see...

Look up some of Phil Atwill's videos. That guy has raced enduros with a Rock Razor up front. It can be done, not that I would risk it though.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

I am in the very fortunate position at the moment of having tried out & busy trying out loads of different tires on the bikes i review. 

I have just come off an E*Thirteen TRS+ and Onza Ibex combo on my last test bike.

Cant I also test some tyres

Race

RaceSpeed

Soft

SuperSoft

i detect a strong whiff of marketeering BS from Schwalbe wrt comparing the new compound capabilities with only the pacestar compound.

That results in some nicely impressive performance differences, but what's those same differences with more appropriately relatable compounds such as trailstar and vertstar? I hear someone muttering marginal gains :D

Vertstar was seriously soft and grippy stuff (but copped a lot of unnecessary flak because chuckleheads can't seem to digest the fact that a super soft compound will naturally wear faster). I've mailed them on the matter. let's see what the marketeering department responds with :P

Edited by Capricorn

i detect a strong whiff of marketeering BS from Schwalbe wrt comparing the new compound capabilities with only the pacestar compound.

That results in some nicely impressive performance differences, but what's those same differences with more appropriately relatable compounds such as trailstar and vertstar? I hear someone muttering marginal gains :D

Vertstar was seriously soft and grippy stuff (but copped a lot of unnecessary flak because chuckleheads can't seem to digest the fact that a super soft compound will naturally wear faster). I've mailed them on the matter. let's see what the marketeering department responds with :P

100% agreed, bro. 

Look up some of Phil Atwill's videos. That guy has raced enduros with a Rock Razor up front. It can be done, not that I would risk it though.

I gave the RR at both ends a go yesterday evening. I did notice the bike felt as if it was quicker to get rolling which was very noticeable on one section of trail I ride a lot where the acceleration surprised me.

The fact that the tyre looks a bit narrower than the MM did reduce my confidence a bit as far as carrying speed into corners but in reality the grip was mostly there and my time down one segment was within 1 sec of my best even after being held up by traffic higher up. I think the smaller side knobs and lack of intermediate knobs will cause problems in wet and very loose conditions but as long as the ground is firmish and dry it will work well. 

That said I am putting my MM back on for Tokai this weekend :-)

100% agreed, bro. 

ok. time to eat crow. schwalbe pointed out that their performance graphics do indicate comparison between Addix soft and Trailstar, and Addix Ultra soft and Vertstar.

Now i very much look forward to testing these badboys, especially Addix Speedgrip, and Addix Soft. Sounds like a great rear, front tyre combo.

Schwalbe claims the new ADDIX Speed Grip compound delivers TrailStar levels of performance while rolling as fast (and lasting considerably longer) than the Pacestar tires. Having ridden several of the tire compounds Wolfgang has produced in the past, we’re tempted to believe them.

Edited by Capricorn

I gave the RR at both ends a go yesterday evening. I did notice the bike felt as if it was quicker to get rolling which was very noticeable on one section of trail I ride a lot where the acceleration surprised me.

The fact that the tyre looks a bit narrower than the MM did reduce my confidence a bit as far as carrying speed into corners but in reality the grip was mostly there and my time down one segment was within 1 sec of my best even after being held up by traffic higher up. I think the smaller side knobs and lack of intermediate knobs will cause problems in wet and very loose conditions but as long as the ground is firmish and dry it will work well. 

That said I am putting my MM back on for Tokai this weekend :-)

And braking performance?  

I can immediately pick up a massive difference between the Slaughter which is pretty much a RR and the Ground Control I'm running on the back now.  Much harder to break traction but also brakes much better so I can brake later.