AM tyres... what you running?

patches

suppose the question is : will you be replacing it with Magic , or another trsr?

waiting for those new Appendix stuff from Schwalbe :P But I have zero problems going back to the magic. rolled faster, Maybe very slightly less grippy going with trailstar, but its familiar behaviour.

addix, yes, i know :P

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howsit guys, I need advice for a new tire combo my LBS has in stock and can get me for a deal.

Maxxis Crossmark and Ikon. 

They will be mostly on training rides consisting of about 60% gravel roads, 20% single track, 15% loose rocky technical bits (rocks out here are smallish and sharp) and 5% tar.

Racing I do is mainly XCM.

How do these perform ITO grip, puncture resistance etc.?

My other options:

Conti xking + raceking protection combo, but at nearly 1.5k already is a bit steep for me. 

Barzo/Saguaro - unsure of pricing

Spez GC and fast trak w/ grid casing

Thanks

Only want to fit one on the front and it must be the triple compound.

The E13 dual compound is something to be tried up front!

The triple compound as mentioned grips like hell but doesn't roll too nicely when you are on trails without too much gradient.

I would say the dual compound up front offers roughly the same grip as a Spaz Butcher but with the extra width and volume of the E13 tyres.

Edited by Nofearnofun

The E13 dual compound is something to be tried up front!

The triple compound as mentioned grips like hell but doesn't roll too nicely when you are on trails without too much gradient.

I would say the dual compound up front offers roughly the same grip as a Spaz Butcher but with the extra width and volume of the E13 tyres.

Eh? The TRSr (triple compound) is a front tyre, unless you want to use it for race runs.... Moarrrr grips at front, please. Rolling resistance limitation is for the rear. 

TRS+ is the one for the rear. 

Eh? The TRSr (triple compound) is a front tyre, unless you want to use it for race runs.... Moarrrr grips at front, please. Rolling resistance limitation is for the rear. 

TRS+ is the one for the rear. 

Try the TRS+ on the front if you have one. Thank me later.

Try the TRS+ on the front if you have one. Thank me later.

Nah, I still have my Mary. 

But why would you put the softer compound on the back, when the front is where you want the grippiness and the rear teh harder compound?

Or are you saying the TRS+ instead of the TRSr due to longevity? FWIW I don't really care about rolling resistance on the front... I just want it to grip. 

EDIT: I think I'm being daft. You're not saying put the TRSr at the back. You're saying the TRS+ is a good front tyre in its own right. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Just decided to head with a Onza Citius 2.4 on the front and an Ardent 2.4 on the back for my new ride. They'll be slipping on to 30mm internal Easton Arcs once the spoke tweakers have finished with them. :)

Edited by hellocolour

Anyone here used a Maxxis Tomahawk yet?

I've made up my mind that my next front tyre will be a 2.5" Minion DHF, but don't know what to pair it with. A Minion DHR II, High Roller II, Aggressor, Tomahawk? :mellow:

Edited by Johnathan CavalierDeTempê

Nah, I still have my Mary. 

But why would you put the softer compound on the back, when the front is where you want the grippiness and the rear teh harder compound?

Or are you saying the TRS+ instead of the TRSr due to longevity? FWIW I don't really care about rolling resistance on the front... I just want it to grip. 

EDIT: I think I'm being daft. You're not saying put the TRSr at the back. You're saying the TRS+ is a good front tyre in its own right. 

You were being daft  :thumbup:

Just decided to head with a Onza Citius 2.4 on the front and an Ardent 2.4 on the back for my new ride. They'll be slipping on to 30mm internal Easton Arcs once they spoke tweakers have infused with them. :)

How's the 2.4 Ardent as a rear? Looking for something with less rolling resistance. DHF2s are just too much, and the soft compound is wearing off quite fast. Even considering Ardent Race 2.35s.

How's the 2.4 Ardent as a rear? Looking for something with less rolling resistance. DHF2s are just too much, and the soft compound is wearing off quite fast. Even considering Ardent Race 2.35s.

Will let you know once I get the new build finished. I had an Ardent Race EXO on the back of my 29'r as a fast rolling option and it was great, very under rated. Swapped it out for a slaughter which I really love and fits my riding more. 

much improved rolling resistance? it really could only get better. the drag induced by the race compound is truly a rude surprise.

From what I noticed in the short time I had the TRS+ up front (I lost the tyre when insurance took my bike away when I "wrote it off").

The rolling resistance was reduced drastically compared to the TRSr up front. There was a bit of a difference in grip but it was still not bad as a front tyre at all! I would say it is on par with the Spaz Butcher grip wise. Noting that the Spaz Butcher number 1 on my list for trail/enduro riding/racing. The TRSr I prefer to use on shuttle days or for DH.

Once gradient is involved the TRSr really is majestic! However when trying to sprint down some flat trail and you stop pedaling to catch a breather, it feels as if you have deployed a parachute.

Combo's tested:

1) Front:TRSr, Rear: TRS+.

2) Front:TRSr, Rear: Spaz Slaughter Grid.

3) Front:TRS+, Rear: Spaz Slaughter Grid.

4) Front:TRSr, Rear: Spaz Butcher Grid.

Edited by Nofearnofun