AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Have not mounted yet, but gonna Minion DHF 29x2.5 and DHR 29x2.3

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

If you don't mind me asking, where did you manage to find the Minion DHF 29x2.5?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind me asking, where did you manage to find the Minion DHF 29x2.5?

i initially bought 1 from Evans Cycles, paid around R500 landed, then i wait since December for it to come, and as soon as EvoBikes had them in stock i bought 1, as i did offer someone Else, i can give you 1 provided you replace when it comes in stock again, i think Evo bikes is expecting stock? pm me if keen

i initially bought 1 from Evans Cycles, paid around R500 landed, then i wait since December for it to come, and as soon as EvoBikes had them in stock i bought 1, as i did offer someone Else, i can give you 1 provided you replace when it comes in stock again, i think Evo bikes is expecting stock? pm me if keen

You're a true gent for offering Meezo, but not to worry. I've got 2 fresh Ibex on my Jeffsy, I was just curios as to where to find them should I need new rubber. Cheers man

So I'm gonna up grade some rubber so am heading towards: 

- 27.5 HT: Mary at the front and one of the Nobby Nics at the back (just cos I've got them in the shed still. These will be on 30mm internals.

- 29'r DS: Minion 2.5 DHF Dual up front & Shorty 3c 2.5 out back on 26 internals. That should stop the 'oh nice xc rig' comments on my tranny. 

Was tempted by a Wild Gripp'r as they can be got for sub R600. 

- 27.5 HT: Mary at the front and one of the Nobby Nics at the back (just cos I've got them in the shed still. These will be on 30mm internals.

- 29'r DS: Minion 2.5 DHF Dual up front & Shorty 3c 2.5 out back on 26 internals. That should stop the 'oh nice xc rig' comments on my tranny. 

I'd ditch the Shorty for either another DHF or a DHR II, HR II or Aggressor.

Now this is even more difficult,from speaking to guys now and the agents for Maxxis I am even more stuck now.I am leaning a bit more towards the Magic Mary but flip their prices are crazy compared to the Minions and a few have said that I must run a Minion DHR on the front. This is so hard when you have to fork out so much money and know that that's what you are stuck with for a while. It's a pity that we don't get more of Conti here otherwise the Der Baron might of been a choice it has some good reviews on it.

I've got a personal "stash" of 2.5" Minion DHF from when I was still on the EVIL... PM if you're needing, I really have no use for them these days ;)

Plenty of options, all currently available:

• Aggressor 27.5 / 650B, 2.35, 60 TPI Foldable EXO / TR
  • High Roller II 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • High Roller II 29 inch, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Aggressor 29 inch, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable EXO / TR
  • Ikon+ 27.5 / 650B, 2.8, 120 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHF 27.5 / 650B, 2.5, 60 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DH
  • Minion DHF 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHF 29 inch, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Rekon+ 27.5 / 650B, 2.8, 120 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHR II 29 inch, 2.4, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Minion DHR II 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 60 TPI Foldable 3C / EXO / TR
  • Shorty 27.5 / 650B, 2.5, 60 TPI Foldable 3C MaxxGrip
  • Shorty 29 inch, 2.5, 60 TPI Foldable 3C MaxxTerra
  • High Roller II 27.5 / 650B, 2.4, 60 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DH
  • Aggressor 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Aggressor 29 inch, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Minion DHR II 27.5 / 650B, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Minion DHR II 29 inch, 2.3, 120 TPI Dual Ply Foldable 3C / TR / DD
  • Minion DHF 27.5 / 650B, 2.5, 60 TPI Dual Ply Wire / 3C
  • Minion DHR II 27.5 / 650B, 2.4, 60 TPI Dual Ply Wire / 3C

And before the storm begins, ^^this^^ is exactly what makes it so difficult for dealers to have and / or know all of the gravity options for you guys. But, these are all available, and I think most dealers will agree that we get product across the country reasonably fast ;)

Edited by _RushSports_

Shorty is NOT a rear tyre. It's a super aggressive cut spike which would do very well up front. Reportedly better than the Mary in pretty much every situation.

If you're thinking of a rear, minion does well if you want it super sticky, then also the high roller or aggressor.

I'm also very tempted to run the shorty out front when my Mary is finished. Thermophage has picked one up recently to replace a magic so I'll wait for his report back...

Slight highjack.

Has anybody tried the Maxxis Shorty?

The official description is "A mid-spike for loose or slightly muddy conditions; more versatile than the WetScream". I would like to know if it will be suitable for dryer conditions as well.

VERY tempted to try it. Thermophage recently bought one for the front. Reportedly even better than the magic, which has set a very high bar for pure grip in loads of conditions

Shorty is NOT a rear tyre. It's a super aggressive cut spike which would do very well up front. Reportedly better than the Mary in pretty much every situation.

If you're thinking of a rear, minion does well if you want it super sticky, then also the high roller or aggressor.

I'm also very tempted to run the shorty out front when my Mary is finished. Thermophage has picked one up recently to replace a magic so I'll wait for his report back...

Thanks! I was thinking it was a cut down Minion. Kinda like a burly Slaughter / RR idea on steroids for more gravity trails at the back. The Maxxis range just confuses the hell out of me... I think that's why I've stayed away for so long. So many casings, compounds, sidewalls. I just want a good tyre for hammering trails that mostly point down hill and won't fall apart! :)

Edited by hellocolour

Thanks! I was thinking it was a cut down Minion. Kinda like a burly Slaughter / RR idea on steroids for more gravity trails at the back. The Maxxis range just confuses the hell out of me... I think that's why I've stayed away for so long. So many casings, compounds, sidewalls. I just want a good tyre for hammering trails that mostly point down hill and won't fall apart! :)

Nope. The slaughter equivalent is the minion SS. Shorty is a minion on roids

Exo = snakeskin

DD (Doibledown) = super gravity

DH = DH

Also.

3c maxxterra = hard triple compound (longevity / rolling resistance)

3c maxxgrip = soft triple compound (grip) but same side knobs as super tacky

Super tacky = soft all round

Edited by Myles Mayhew