AM tyres... what you running?

patches

In my experience, the sidewall protection and stability offered by Schwalbe is The Bar. Dont fancy the HDs much, but love the Muddy Mary, Magic Mary, and Rock Razor. Recently, been testing a Maxxis High Roller II, 3C Maxxterra, EXO casing.

I haven't had good fortune when it comes to maxxis and sidewall tears,and it was more expensive than the Magic Mary, but so far, this HRII is holding up nicely. Excellent grip and rolls really quick. One thing i dont like is the sidewall buckling when hammering corners hard: you can feel the tyre roll over.

I also managed to massively burp the tyre, despite the fact its supposed to be TLR, and affixed to UST rim (Mavic EN821). lost all the sealant, but at least the tyre didn't blow off. I'll count myself fortunate there.

But that was just one such major burping, and other than the floppy sidewalls, its pretty good. Tyre wear seems pretty good as well (just about 2.5 months of riding it on all sorts of terrain).

So maybe worth consideration as a replacement tyre,if you can get it cheaper.

I have been contemplating going Magic Mary on the front and Rock Razor on the rear, I believe the Magic Mary is super slow rolling though?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm enjoying the Vigilantes front and rear even though I can't push them anywhere near their limits due to taking it easy on my forearm.

They will make even more sense once the rains hit.

I have been contemplating going Magic Mary on the front and Rock Razor on the rear, I believe the Magic Mary is super slow rolling though?

Slow rolling only really matters on the back when you're pedalling up the hills....

Slow rolling only really matters on the back when you're pedalling up the hills....

I have been told that on a gradual down hill, a Magic Mary on the front you have to pedal or you will come to a stop... :whistling:

I have been running WTB Werwolf's 2.25s on my Trance F+R and can possibly say that the front one was largely responsible for my separated AC.

Under pretty heavy load, on the brakes, and trying to set up for a turn, the tire rolled off, depositing me hard on my shoulder.

I run 2.0bars in the front but the rim is a standard SX-C2 which is a bit narrow.

That sucks about you AC, I've been off the bike for 8 weeks because of an sternoclavicular dislocation (other side of the collar bone). Doesn't sound nearly as bad as yours, but still can't ly for too long on that shoulder and wake up with a stiff neck most mornings. Hope it heals up fast.

That'll be why it happened. 

On my old Alex rims the Weirwolf was very floppy. On my wider Spanks - far less so. 

Depends on what you consider narrow the ISO width (i.e.bead width) is 19mm which is the same as a ZTR Arch (Not Arch EX).

Also are/were those Wierwolfs tubeless (TCS)? Have the WTB Vigilante 2.3 TCS and Beeline 2.2 TCS and they feel great, not a hint of rolling.

I have been told that on a gradual down hill, a Magic Mary on the front you have to pedal or you will come to a stop... :whistling:

hahha ppl can talk ***. really hahahaha. but yes, it does roll slightly slower than the Muddy Mary, which btw: rolled slightly faster than a maxxis minion DHF.

Ppl always want the whole cake: if you want grip, expect higher rolling resistance. Grip is not just about the compound,but also the tread pattern. The magic mary has ridiculous amounts of grip. Ppl say slower, as do I, but its not quantified as a real disadvantage. So dont worry about it. If its grip you want, get the Magic Mary. You wont' be disappointed.

hahha ppl can talk ***. really hahahaha. but yes, it does roll slightly slower than the Muddy Mary, which btw: rolled slightly faster than a maxxis minion DHF.

Ppl always want the whole cake: if you want grip, expect higher rolling resistance. Grip is not just about the compound,but also the tread pattern. The magic mary has ridiculous amounts of grip. Ppl say slower, as do I, but its not quantified as a real disadvantage. So dont worry about it. If its grip you want, get the Magic Mary. You wont' be disappointed.

Do we get the Magic Mary in SA in trailstar compound with SG casing?

At the moment I have HD's in pacestar with SG casing, the low pressures I can run comfortable are just crazy but the pacestar up front leaves you looking for a bit more grip on smooth hard pack. It is awesome in the loose tho!

Would you say the Magic Mary rolls faster or slower than a High roller (not Highroller 2)?

Do we get the Magic Mary in SA in trailstar compound with SG casing?

At the moment I have HD's in pacestar with SG casing, the low pressures I can run comfortable are just crazy but the pacestar up front leaves you looking for a bit more grip on smooth hard pack. It is awesome in the loose tho!

Would you say the Magic Mary rolls faster or slower than a High roller (not Highroller 2)?

in South Africa, you wont get much of anything nice I'm afraid :( Evobikes does make some effort in bringing in some good schwalbe stock, but its spotty at best. Currently, they have some in stock, but for 650b and 29ers IIRC.

Best ask them what they have and if they can bring in what you looking for.

I find the HDs very vague, especially when it comes to loose over hardpack, and that's reason why I ditched it in favour of finding a rear tyre better at rolling and straight line grip.

Once on the sideknobs, I have no issue with the HD, as the sideknobs with their extra support is identical to what's found on the Magic Mary and the Rock Razor. I'd never put an HD up front through. hell, i'd rather put a nobby nic up front. I had a bog standard NN non-SG casing in pacestar up front for a long while. The grip was fantastic! which is why i'm eyeballing the new nobby nic as a potential replacement for the HD for rear tyre duties. But i'll need to get one in SG for some testing before I settle on it.

With Magic vs High Roller, let me answer you this way: there aren't many tyres short of being slicks, that roll faster than a High Roller. Just look at this tread pattern:

http://www.w-racing.se/public/img/user/highroller.jpg

center knobs are all angled in the rolling direction. These things are fast! Nice burly sideknobs for very satisfying grip when leaned over. nice wide spacing between middle nobs and a wide side channel between center and side knobs to shed mud making this a surprisingly good tyre in wet conditions.

Edited by Capricorn

Is a Magic Mary slower than a Neveroll?

I'd say at the end of the day you really want tyres that allow you to keep your flow/control, better to have slower rolling tractor tires that let you always be in the zone than skinnier or faster tyres that will always suck where it matters.

i had kenda NeverAgains on my trail bike as it was part of the stock setup. But that was a while back can't remember how it rolled. But i do recall it being the most pressure sensitive tyre i've used.

People all over the web seem to rave about high rollers speed and general awesomeness, anyone have them in Sa? I see them every so often in the classifieds, normally wire bead DH versions. What width NobbyN do you run on the front Capricorn?

I put a new 2.4 Mountain King on the front yesterday, new old stock with the old style tread pattern, nice and big, 2.4 is supposed to be almost the only size conti that actually is close to being true to size. Decent grip and rolls well.

Edited by Skylark

People all over the web seem to rave about high rollers speed and general awesomeness, anyone have them in Sa? I see them every so often in the classifieds, normally wire bead DH versions. What width NobbyN do you run on the front Capricorn?

I put a new 2.4 Mountain King on the front yesterday, new old stock with the old style tread pattern, nice and big, 2.4 is supposed to be almost the only size conti that actually is close to being true to size. Decent grip and rolls well.

I must actually try a High Roller once my Rock Razor funks out.

Cap *had* a 2.25 (edit - sorry Cap) NN on the front. Now he has the 2.35 SG Magic Mary...  

Oh - on the Mountain King - I always liked the tread pattern & design. Not your typical square block pattern... 

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

the NN twas 2.25 pacestar, snakeskin jobbie that predated super gravity.

Wrt HR availability, Maxxis has a larger presence in ZA than Schwalbe, meaning your LBS should be able to source it for you.

i got a rock razor the other day from mayhem.

ive only taken it to paarl so far where it looked like it had rained lightly 2 days before and ground still had some moisture in it

that razor had more grip than i was expecting, like, a lot more, unless i tried really hard that thing wasnt going anywhere, and when i did it drifted out gracefully with a really nice transition

it ended up being really manageable on the limit of grip, its awesome

what i still have to check though is how it handles not perfect conditions.

im quite scared its messed with the grip balance of my bike, making it prone to understeer in certain conditions, i got an onza ibex on the front, was great, but im not sure how its gonna keep up with this razor on hardpack.

i just realised a problem with having 2 completely different tyres, is how the grip bias will change in different conditions, making the bike handle, in some cases very expectantly.

still got a lot of learning to do with this set up ofc