AM tyres... what you running?

patches

onza ibex front 

rock razor rear

im understeering (except that time at the conters enduro, spun out trying to change direction) :/

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to buy some new tyres for my Trance X2 26er. Running Nobby Nic's at the moment, but thinking about putting a Hans Dampf up front. What are the thoughts on this combo these days? Any draw backs?

I won't put the HD on the back as they are a bit slow rolling, and I still ride up the hills to go down.

Like Mayhem said Magic Mary if you can get the.

That said if you do find somewhere with stock of the HD let me know too please.

onza ibex front 

rock razor rear

im understeering (except that time at the conters enduro, spun out trying to change direction) :/

sounds like you not hitting the sideknobs, or if you are, they are folding, or the sidewall is buckling. that's why you got to love the Big S in SG. that compliant top cap and super stable sidewalls make for ridiculous carving.

sounds like you not hitting the sideknobs, or if you are, they are folding, or the sidewall is buckling. that's why you got to love the Big S in SG. that compliant top cap and super stable sidewalls make for ridiculous carving.

Yeah, the difference in sidewall strength is literally amazing...

Does someone want to make a group order from overseas? Looking at www.bike-discount.com their prices are not bad at all and if shipping is shared you will be able to come in under R600 per tire? What taxes will be applicable? Just VAT or more?

On a side note, had a Magic Mary and not impressed. Side knobs tore in 2 months of riding jonkers and surrounding areas. On a Minion DHR II on the front (yes front) and love it. Granted when the trail is wet its useless, but I tend to stay indoors then.

ya, that's an age-old complaint about schwalbe in general: fast wearing knobs. However  I can definitely see different wear-rates depending on the compound chosen. Harder compounds naturally realize slower wear rates. But knocking the wear rate doesn't mean the Magic Mary is rubbish at grip. Just makes it pretty pricey to keep using.

I've heard very very good things about the DHR II. Not as good in the grip department as schwalbe by most accounts, htis from riders who ride rain or shine. I haven't touched Maxxis for a very lng time because they had utterly rubbish sidewall protection and support. But am using an HR II as a fast rolling rear. So far, good grip, good wear rates. But still the same rubbish sidewall support. Bloody thing collapses under hard cornering causing it burp. ANd this is is supposed to be a TLR tyre. w/e.

Edited by Capricorn

ya, that's an age-old complaint about schwalbe in general: fast wearing knobs. However I can definitely see different wear-rates depending on the compound chosen. Harder compounds naturally realize slower wear rates. But knocking the wear rate doesn't mean the Magic Mary is rubbish at grip. Just makes it pretty pricey to keep using.

But when choosing a tire isn't it important to look at all the aspects-not just grip? No use in having a tire that rails down the track but is an anchor on the way up and needs replacing every few months. Just adding my experience I had with the Trailstar version

Unfortunately the DHR II is also lacking in sidewall department. I even get that same feeling in the front, especially coming down on off camper sections with roots. It just gets scary sometimes!

Look there is no perfect tire and everyone has their own preferences of how a tire must perform...

But when choosing a tire isn't it important to look at all the aspects-not just grip? No use in having a tire that rails down the track but is an anchor on the way up and needs replacing every few months. Just adding my experience I had with the Trailstar version

hence why i said its pricey to use certain schwalbe tyres. but its a fail to generalise. Furthermore, for some riders, grip is everything. its a choice, just like trying to find low rolling resistance with excellent climbing properties. But expecting those characeristics from a tyre like the Magic Mary is fail in choice by the rider.

We definitely dont disagree that its hard to find that perfect tyre. I guess its like getting married: gotta take something warts and all.

Edited by Capricorn

the razor is generally not short of grip

but the problem, and i think i touched on this when i got the razor, is what having 2 such different tyres does as terrain changes.

its not uncommon for a single piece of singletrack to have everything from hardpack and gravel to loam and a bit of mud.

having 2 completely different tyres means they react completely differently in each situation.

i dunno, sometimes the grip just feels unbalanced and a bit unpredictable.

the razor is generally not short of grip

but the problem, and i think i touched on this when i got the razor, is what having 2 such different tyres does as terrain changes.

its not uncommon for a single piece of singletrack to have everything from hardpack and gravel to loam and a bit of mud.

having 2 completely different tyres means they react completely differently in each situation.

i dunno, sometimes the grip just feels unbalanced and a bit unpredictable.

the RR is meant for 'some' loose over hardpack, but mostly hard terrain. I'm pretty sure that tyre will float abit in the loose, whether its loamy or deep dust like conters. Again, its about making trail appropiate choices. Instead of hte RR, maybe a tyre with more pronounced knobs, but harder compound and higher pressure to increase rolling speed? at least that's how i would've tried to strike a compromise.

Maybe I should even look at the High Roller II, who sells them in CT?

Can't seem to find decently priced Schwalbe tyres is stock locally.

Maybe I should even look at the High Roller II, who sells them in CT?

Can't seem to find decently priced Schwalbe tyres is stock locally.

spoke to Action Cycles in the hope they would have some: according to them, Maxxis will only bring in the HR II if 50 are ordered. Now idont see one single shop doing this, which makes me wonder why the LBS' aren't  working together to provide the market with some variety. NB working together  <> price fixing :P

Edited by Capricorn