AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered new conti's - race king 2.2 and x-king 2.4, both "protection", from easybike

will provide some feedback soon.

I'm currently running with a minion 3c dhf 2.5 front and my stock bontrager xr3 2.2 on the back. The minion has been amazing and I couldn't ask for better but I do have an onza ibex dh 2.4 on standbye for when the minion is spent. My it's been fun having the bontrager on the back as I like being able to hang the back out around corners but I'm looking to change to a purgatory. Anyone have an opinion on the purgatory as a rear tyre?

I'm currently running with a minion 3c dhf 2.5 front and my stock bontrager xr3 2.2 on the back. The minion has been amazing and I couldn't ask for better but I do have an onza ibex dh 2.4 on standbye for when the minion is spent. My it's been fun having the bontrager on the back as I like being able to hang the back out around corners but I'm looking to change to a purgatory. Anyone have an opinion on the purgatory as a rear tyre?

That Ibex looks sweet. Purgatory...literally the first time I rode with Nofearnofun he rolled about 10m(if that) down the trail and his purgatory's sidewall got a major slash, so that put me off those tires.

That Ibex looks sweet. Purgatory...literally the first time I rode with Nofearnofun he rolled about 10m(if that) down the trail and his purgatory's sidewall got a major slash, so that put me off those tires.

The ride sidewinder is talking about was the last time I used a Specialized tyre (about a year or two ago) until last weekend, in the first 1hour of last weekends ride I put a nice snake bite into a Specialized Slaughter...

Specialized make tyres that roll and grip very nicely, their side walls are where the problem is!

The ride sidewinder is talking about was the last time I used a Specialized tyre (about a year or two ago) until last weekend, in the first 1hour of last weekends ride I put a nice snake bite into a Specialized Slaughter...

Specialized make tyres that roll and grip very nicely, their side walls are where the problem is!

They're bringing out a Grid option which will have beefed up sidewalls.  Plus the DH casing Butcher is pretty solid.

They're bringing out a Grid option which will have beefed up sidewalls.  Plus the DH casing Butcher is pretty solid.

Hens teeth though...

Looking for a bit of advise please...I have a morewood zula and I'm looking to fit a wider front tyre. Problem is that the rims I have have are very XC orientated (DT Swiss XR350) and from what I've managed to find online is that the rim has an inner width of 17mm and they recommend using a max 2.1 tyre. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 2.3 wtb bronson. So what I would like to know is what is the worst that can happen if I slap on a beefy tyre. Anyone here done anything along the same lines and did you run into any problems doing it?

The thin rims will make the Bronson balloon a bit and the tyre will roll a bit side to side on the rim. So you may need to pump them slightly harder than normal which will decrease the grip.

Just ordered new conti's - race king 2.2 and x-king 2.4, both "protection", from easybike

will provide some feedback soon.

In 26er hopefully because they don't have any stock in 29er as I'm waiting for a replacement for my Xking that is leaking through the side walls.

In 26er hopefully because they don't have any stock in 29er as I'm waiting for a replacement for my Xking that is leaking through the side walls.

no, 29ers.

that's a pain, as they took my money...and I need the tyres by next week.

any idea on timing?

Re the x-kings, have you tried lying the wheel on its side overnight?  apparently that works for the sidewalls.

no, 29ers.

that's a pain, as they took my money...and I need the tyres by next week.

any idea on timing?

Re the x-kings, have you tried lying the wheel on its side overnight?  apparently that works for the sidewalls.

yea did that still leaking in some spots,they say the stock will be there next week,I have a MT king front And the Xking rear,damn awesome combo. That MT king grips like crazy and the Xking rolls fast and sheds weight very quickly.

so late saturday arvey im prepping my bike and see that my old tires tear is again showing a big hole and decide im going to put on my NEW 2015 Nobbly Nic. its 6.00pm already and i want to do it tubeless which is sometimes a daunting task with tyres. well the new NN TL easy is exactly that EASY, i quick pop down to the garage and literally 3mins later it is sorted with Stans in and ready to roll. I check it again at 9.00pm just to make sure it hasnt gone down...all smiles no problem. Actuall riding it feels like it rolls faster and the grip levels are great, we were bombing some of Giba,s SS tracks at almost 40kmh and not once did the rear feel like it would break out. Now i will start to reduce the pressure and find the sweet spot.

so late saturday arvey im prepping my bike and see that my old tires tear is again showing a big hole and decide im going to put on my NEW 2015 Nobbly Nic. its 6.00pm already and i want to do it tubeless which is sometimes a daunting task with tyres. well the new NN TL easy is exactly that EASY, i quick pop down to the garage and literally 3mins later it is sorted with Stans in and ready to roll. I check it again at 9.00pm just to make sure it hasnt gone down...all smiles no problem. Actuall riding it feels like it rolls faster and the grip levels are great, we were bombing some of Giba,s SS tracks at almost 40kmh and not once did the rear feel like it would break out. Now i will start to reduce the pressure and find the sweet spot.

yep, same recent experience fitting some TL-E Magic Mary and Rock Razors to Mavic Crossmax XLs. It was so easy, i almost managed to fit it by hand, and as a huge bonus, it seated using a standard floor pump, which I had unwittingly used instead of my high volume pump bought specifically to seat tubeless tyres without needing a compressor.

Not sure what deserves the credit here, the rims or the tyres, but it was silly easy and a welcome change from the PITA this exercise can be.

So with the Enduros that ran over the weekend how did which tyres perform. Some feedback from the gents that slayed the trails???

Got myself a Purgatory Grid 2.3 which is on the back and putting a Butcher on the front today.

My HD's snakeskin rear (Trailstar) litterally ripped apart on Firehut yesterday.  Overshot a jump onto a rockgarden and ripped a solid hole on the tread.  So glad I had an excuse to chuck that thing in the bin.

Nicht wieder!

Got myself a Purgatory Grid 2.3 which is on the back and putting a Butcher on the front today.

My HD's snakeskin rear (Trailstar) litterally ripped apart on Firehut yesterday.  Overshot a jump onto a rockgarden and ripped a solid hole on the tread.  So glad I had an excuse to chuck that thing in the bin.

Nicht wieder!

You're gonna love that Butcher on the front. Outstanding under-rated (and very well priced) tyre.