AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Got my Conti Xking 2.4 Protection replacement from Easybike today,so now just to get time to test it.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure... I wasn't asking what I should run it at I was just interested in what people were running theirs at. I know gauges differ but things will enevitably fall in to a reasonably near measurement else there wouldn't be gauges in the cycling world and sheets of calculations for shocks, tyres let alone car tyres that need gauges. ;) 

I've got mine dialled in nicely but it's always interesting to see what other people run from the nearly flat to the rock hard. It's the thing that make so much difference to how your bike rides so was just seeing who did what.

Cool.

For interests sake then... 1.7bar on my Birzman is 2.5 on my old Parktool.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my SS TLE Nobby Nic 2.25 pacestar for the back yesterday and fitted it. Now I just goto go try it out.

Hans Dampf SS TLE 27.5 x 2.35 - 820g

Nobby Nic SS TLE 27.5 x 2.25 - 680g

Hoping the NN pedals a bit easier apart from the weight difference. Will be testing it this weekend. Been off the bike now for 2 weeks due to flu and finally ready to go tackle some trails again.

So I got my SS TLE Nobby Nic 2.25 pacestar for the back yesterday and fitted it.

Would be interesting to hear about the NN at the back.

Have them in front on my Hardtail and quite happy, would not have considered it, as a back tyre choice.

On saturday I ended up slashing the rear tyre (Mountan King Tubeless) and it died.So I figured it's time to look at putting new shoes on the AM bike.I'm wanting a combo that:

• grips well in various conditions and terrains.
  • Doesn't weigh a ton
  • low-ish rolling resistance
  • long-ish lasting
  • oh, and tubeless
I know that there's nothing that will satisfy ALL those criteria perfectly. But here's a combo or 3 that I have in mind.
  • Mounting King II 2.4 Protection (front), X-King 2.4 Protection (rear)
  • Mountain King II 2.4 Protection (front & rear)
  • Rubber Queen 2.4 UST (front), X-king 2.4 Protection (rear)
Mounatin king IIhttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/83000.jpgRubber Queenhttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/29790.jpg X-Kinghttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/83005.jpgThose are just the Continental options...So yeah... what are you peeps running that you have been muchos impressed with?

currently have suguaro tnt at the back, workes pretty well.

Caution: DOES NOT LIKE WET ROCKS

but that's not really a problem in winter in gauteng.

front i have vredenstein black panther. very impressed with this tyre.

just make sure you run 1.8bar in front - they do not corner well on gravel at high pressures. (but it could also have been ID-10T error.)

very happy witht he combo - and on the muddy sections day 2 of sani, my team mate was commenting on my superior grip to his crossmarks smile.pngsmile.png

Vittoria Goma TnT 2.4 for Up Front

&

Vittoria Barzo TnT 2.25 up at the Rear

Hi Nico, ek het die naweek gerace met 'n Butcher voor en Purgatory (grid) agter. Was eers baie skepies maar ek het hulle 2.4psi gehardloop en love die kombinasie nou. Die butcher het serious baie grip in los, klipperige grond. Dit sou nice gewees het as hulle net so bietjie breër was though.

Hein ry jy 26" of 650B? Sorry ek sien jy ry 29er.

Waar het jy die grid tyres gekry?

Ek wil graag daai combo op 'n Trance 650B try

Edited by DubbelBuys

I've got a WTB Dissent 2.5 I'm tempted to mount on my Trance

Anyone got experience with this tyre? Any good running tubeless?

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a WTB Dissent 2.5 I'm tempted to mount on my Trance

Anyone got experience with this tyre? Any good running tubeless?

Hook it up, winter is around the corner. Ride it and then post us review[emoji4]

Guys what's the difference between the trail star and pacestar of the Schwalbe tyres?

Also in a 29er tyre for some spirited riding who h is better the Magic Mary or Hans Dampf?

Guys what's the difference between the trail star and pacestar of the Schwalbe tyres?

Also in a 29er tyre for some spirited riding who h is better the Magic Mary or Hans Dampf?

Magic any day of the week. Pace star is a harder compound generally used at the back or if you're riding predominantly hardpack and smooth single track.

TL easy is their new tubeless ready that apparently seats a lot easier than the tlr used to (best to ask Capricorn about that tho - his knowledge on tires is pretty darn good)

For the front I'd always go trailstar. Unless I was a jeep track warrior.

For the back it's less important and comes down to how you like the rear to behave. Loose - pace star. Grip like **** to a blanket - trailstar.

OK so here is my short review.

The new 2015 NN  SS 27.5x2.25 is great as a rear tyre...

Hy plak soos tak met 'n K en rolls like a Rolls Royce.

I could honestly feel the difference in the drag reduction from the HD that I had on the bike.

The grip seems better than the old nic with what seems like a more progressive let go when you push over the grip limit.

I like it and the fact that it is 120g lighter than the 800g HD SS it replaced has helped pedalling and the "chuckability" of the the bike. which does wonders for the confidence also.

Recommended with :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  4/5 thumbs up

OK so here is my short review.

The new 2015 NN  SS 27.5x2.25 is great as a rear tyre...

Hy plak soos tak met 'n K en rolls like a Rolls Royce.

I could honestly feel the difference in the drag reduction from the HD that I had on the bike.

The grip seems better than the old nic with what seems like a more progressive let go when you push over the grip limit.

I like it and the fact that it is 120g lighter than the 800g HD SS it replaced has helped pedalling and the "chuckability" of the the bike. which does wonders for the confidence also.

Recommended with :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  4/5 thumbs up

and there it is, what I had been simultaneously predicting and hoping for: the new NN is what the HD should've been. Now can Schwalbe be so kind as to produce it in SG as well? (that will of course trash the 120g saving).

and there it is, what I had been simultaneously predicting and hoping for: the new NN is what the HD should've been. Now can Schwalbe be so kind as to produce it in SG as well? (that will of course trash the 120g saving).

The HD makes for a great front tyre... and I think the combo of the HD Trailstar front and NN Pacestar rear is great...

If I was doing more gravity orientated riding I would definitely say to go for a super gravity... lets hope they wake up...

The HD makes for a great front tyre... and I think the combo of the HD Trailstar front and NN Pacestar rear is great...

If I was doing more gravity orientated riding I would definitely say to go for a super gravity... lets hope they wake up...

I'm hoping that Procore will offset the desire for SG casings. But the rather persistent delays in releasing Procore makes me wonder if there's a problem with the system. My cynicism wasn't done any favours watching one of the WC rider's wheel explode, resulting in procore entrails dragging out behind the rider. :P