Best Chain lube for MTB

Pieterg

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find white lightning doesnt last in the dry, dusty highveld winters. currently trying purple extreme

Same here, changed from green to purple

Got hold of BMG selling @ R120.00(500ml).ordered a bottle ,will give feed back next week

Dubber - you know of anyone who currently have stock of the service bottles? Mine is nearly finished and havent been able to get one again..

Finishline Extreme Condition / Cross Country Wet Lube for Road Bike.

And Rock & Roll Extreme ( Blue stuff) for MTB.

Got a beeg bottle for R180 and has been lasting me more than a year with still one topup left in smaller bottle you get with the box.

Got hold of BMG selling @ R120.00(500ml).ordered a bottle ,will give feed back next week

Thats cheap :thumbup:

I use "GO Chain wax" from Bearing Man, works brilliantly, been very happy with it and the pricing was reasonable @ around R50 for a 120ml bottle and to be honest, 2 applications and you only need a small amount after each wash as a maintenance treatment.

http://www.bmgworld....-CW23102008.pdf

Also used this a while ago, must stock up again ... :thumbup:

One of my other all time faves, especially for wet conditions

http://www.agrinet.co.za/pics/picl/VP_F_0003.jpg

Squirt is rubbish, a bugger to clean and it last's the legnth of my driveway, I use T9 Boeshield, proper oil is the best, but attracts dirt too much and starts grinding the drivetrain, someone here on The Hub posted this: Lube is like religion, each has their own, and he is spot-on, do a search for lube on the hub and you will have enough reading for the next 6 months.

Got my Chain lube from Bearing man (R138 for 500ml) just now, will try it during the week, will keep everybody posted.The chain lube looks good

• 4 months later...

So I washed the bikes last night and when wanting to lube up the chains I realised I used the last of my "squirt" the previous time I lubed up.

Now I have been shopping around and looking for alternatives to "Squirt" for some time and will more than likely try Purple Extreme next, but last night I was sitting high and dry.

So .... whipped out a bottle of suspension fluid and lubed up the SS's chain.

The ride in on the road this morning was a very smooth affair and I am rather interested to see how it lasts and what the chain will look like with a little dirt riding thrown in for good measure.

You fella's do realise that by trying to outdo each other with who has the best or most innovative or obscure chain lube,.......that you've just proven that it makes stuffall difference to what you actually use on your chain.

For heavens sakes I used Spray'n kook on my chains at one point. Its 10x better than wax lubes anyways

Tried Purple Extreme on Saturday. Not bad in dry conditions but attracted a fair bit of dust at Breedts leaving my chain looking quite bad.

Took the bike to Northerns yesterday and the first water crossing and the lube was gone. Quite shocking. Wife's bike with the Chain-L was 100% for the whole ride.

Got my Chain lube from Bearing man (R138 for 500ml) just now, will try it during the week, will keep everybody posted.The chain lube looks good

How did it work?

Folks who think that a blackening chain is a 'bad' thing, or who think wax lubes are good for your bike, should read this doc written by Johan Bornman. Should help to fix some misconceptions...

Excellent article . thumbup1.gif

Yes it is an excellent article. I am a member of the STLE (Society for Tribologists and Lubricating Engineers) and I think he covers the basics very well. Ignore that article at your peril.