What happened to Tokai?

zombie.zerg

Oh fun, I wake this morning to find you apparently following me around contradicting everything I say. I just hope I can give you as much attention in my responses as you appear to be giving me. I'm flattered.

Interesting to note that others also picked up on the spandex versus baggies topic prior to my post.

Don't flatter yourself, please.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not for one second think that the OP was being derogatory or had a problem with "spandex". He just mentions seeing a lot of it nowdays not having ridden in Tokai for 10 years, maybe its you that needs to get over yourself.

I agree. The guy was just expressing what he observed from then to now.

It is true... Not only Tokai but most trails that are now busy. As cycling has become more popular, it seems to have become so much more serious bizniz.

The way to combat this is to try to ride with guys who are much more relaxed and find trails which are less popular.

Sorry to hear about your troubles .Must be a slaap stad thing .Never happens in pretoria. If somebody is unfriendly he usually wants your bike and Cell !

I've been riding tokai pretty much every week since about 2003. Always in baggy shorts because I don't see the need for spandex as I ride mostly dh. I do ride all the trails but the emphasis is definitley on the descending side of it. The forest has about ten times more riders now than 9 years ago. Or it seems like it on a sunny sunday morning.

The main thing though is to relax and enjoy yourself. Say hi to everyone and most will say hello back. And don't judge people by what they wear. I've seen guys in full dh armour riding the brakes all the way down going round the jumps, and spandex clad xc guys,seat full height, nailing the dh track at warp speed 9 captain! Just have fun and welcome back. You did pay to enter from the top didn't you...

Those cold dudes are the roadies, they the ones that shout hold your line,

just push them of the track, dont worry we getting rid of them

Look forward to being pushed by you.

Bloohubs, I've seen you chirping on here about Tokai before. Do you ride much up there cos you seem pretty aggro on here. Who is the “we“ that is helping you get rid of “them“?

Certainly when you look at it from 10 years ago, it will be a shocker. Think for most of us, the numbers have just crept up and become a way of life...

Can't say it has been a bad thing, if it wasn't for the numbers, mountain biking would still be relegated to the bottom of the land owners priority list..

Clothing?? The catwalk and mountainbiking don't really mix for me, and if it did, mud would be a fashion accessory!

Enjoy the ride zombie.. there is a space for us all.

nice to hear from the older folk how things have changed over time.

was having breakfast with my dad (now 68) this morning. he told me about the days when trains were about the only mode of goods transport and you had to have a permit to transport your crops to the market. You weren't allowed to transport any other farmers goods.

How the trains stopped about every 2km to pick up one milk can and then return it the next morning... how mail bags were hung from a tree at the small station for when the train come past....or just hung there until it was collected. How my great grandfather in Barberton used to order grapes from Tulbagh, the farmer will leave it at the station in the basket with a cloth over... the next morning it will arrive at the station in Barberton, off loaded with no one around, and the my dad had to go collect it some time during the day. The next day the empty basket will be returned by leaving it at the station. :) made me smile

The time and skill that went into photography and how they used to color in the photos.

I was once again amazed by the meticulous effort that went into things that is so easy today.

Edited by Mellow

If we look at your account it seem's you just registered and then came this first post?

Funny, do you perhaps have another account? How did you know about thehub, never said anything before, and then on the day you ride, you register here and post some useless blabber?

Just checked for you. The IP is not registered to other users on this site. So its for sure a first post.

@Clint, maybe you can read the OP again with the sarcasm and humour glasses on? Cause it really is rather humurous when you read it non judgementally.

Sorry to hear about your troubles .Must be a slaap stad thing .Never happens in pretoria. If somebody is unfriendly he usually wants your bike and Cell !

Haha!!

Funny...

Some people are friendly, others not

Some are friendly even if they can't be bothered greeting everyone they pass every day

Some people are too distracted by other things to care either way

Some chose to dress in a manner that suits what they're doing

Some try make a statement with how they dress regardless of how impractical it is

Some don't care what they wear or how they're perceived

Some feel the need to judge others who dress differently to themselves

Some judge others by their possessions

Some judge others on how well they use those possessions

Some just want to be left alone to do their own thing, their own way in their own time

As in life so in cycling.

Get over the need to post judgemental comments, Rather appreciate how privileged you are to be able to ride a bike in Tokai (privileged in every possible sense of the word).

I agree it is funny. The part that is funny is a 25 year old telling us how things used to be! ha ha ha ha....

..ha ha does age matter?

I value his comment, I have been to Tokai.

His observation is based on what he saw here last, regardless of time frame, it just so happens to be a long time ago. This makes his comment interesting.. He is saying that he cannot believe how much lycra is here, compared to when he was here last.. get it? Ha ha, it's not really that funny, is it?...

I tell you what is hilarious, just this weekend I made the same comment..!! ha ha hahha.

..ha ha does age matter?

I value his comment, I have been to Tokai.

His observation is based on what he saw here last, regardless of time frame, it just so happens to be a long time ago. This makes his comment interesting.. He is saying that he cannot believe how much lycra is here, compared to when he was here last.. get it? Ha ha, it's not really that funny, is it?...

I tell you what is hilarious, just this weekend I made the same comment..!! ha ha hahha.

:ph34r: you say stupid things all the time... so it might not be a pure coincidence?

:w00t: Judy kidding, you laughing made me laugh..

Wish there were more ladies in Lycra... i HAVE NOTHING against that at all....