Cassette Wobble

lyslexic

That looks like off-centre free wheel mechanism? I can hear the same sort of issue on one of my Hope hubs, only because of the racket it makes, which oscillates.

I had a look on my mtb and road wheels and there is no movement on the cassette,it's vas.Are we talking about the same thing?

Dunno. I'm talking about the wobble shown in the video above. Very common.

What wobble are you thinking of?

Edited by Johan Bornman

I saw wobble and took it to mean loose cassette.

Had a look now and see mine do wobble and my XT cassette has a big wobble.

I'm assuming the poster is talking about this type of wobble, which is pretty normal:

yup, same wobble i'm talking about

Anyway, the bike rides fine, i've done 131km so far, I just wanted to check if this is something i need to be worried about.

There is another kind of cassette wobble. I battled with a slipping chain for a long time, had gears adjusted multiple times. Eventually I discovered there was too much play in the cassette, LBS replaced the freehub - problem solved.

By play in the cassette I mean that if you held the cassette firmly and pushed moved it in and out, the cassette would move a couple of millimeters.

As a matter of interest does the plastic bit serve any purpose? If not, can I remove it? Or is like having those reflector thingies in your wheel, all for show :unsure:

As a matter of interest does the plastic bit serve any purpose? If not, can I remove it? Or is like having those reflector thingies in your wheel, all for show :unsure:

If your gears are adjusted correctly then you don't need the plastic bit.

There is another kind of cassette wobble. I battled with a slipping chain for a long time, had gears adjusted multiple times. Eventually I discovered there was too much play in the cassette, LBS replaced the freehub - problem solved.

By play in the cassette I mean that if you held the cassette firmly and pushed moved it in and out, the cassette would move a couple of millimeters.

This is a standard issue with Mavic hubs when the plastic/teflon bushing wears out in the freehub body. Crap design.

You need an extra spacer between the cassette (largest sprocket) and wheel hub.

Correct, you need a spacer and also check your lock ring has not come loose. It happens.

If your gears are adjusted correctly then you don't need the plastic bit.

Sweet - thanks. Will take it off tonight then.