Introducing PowerCal a new kind of Power Meter

It is a loan/demo wheel from PowerTap. They have road and mbike wheels availble for testing

Yip mine is still on it's way, will use a loan wheel at the walkerville .So be on the lookout for a BIG NINER with a powertap in the 60km race

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on the Powercal testing

had one or two problems, tryed to have a Skype conversation with they guys in the states yesterday but they all on holiday (july the 4th) will be trying again today. but good news looks like Joule 1.0 is ready so should be ready to ship out order in the next week or so. so not that long from now.

Mmmmm debate questions go unanswered.

Silence! Sorry I meant science!

Science isn't an exact theory is it?

had one or two problems, tryed to have a Skype conversation with they guys in the states yesterday but they all on holiday (july the 4th) will be trying again today. but good news looks like Joule 1.0 is ready so should be ready to ship out order in the next week or so. so not that long from now.

Any further news on your testing of the PowerCal?

Any further news on your testing of the PowerCal?

no the 4th of July has really stuffed things up with the guys in the states of the office pretty much all of last week, trying again this evening to get hold of them.

no the 4th of July has really stuffed things up with the guys in the states of the office pretty much all of last week, trying again this evening to get hold of them.

:thumbup:

I'd be interested in a review... I have a Quarq but I miss the power data when I ride my MTB, plus its a mission to change cranks on my TT bike, especially if I'm not going out to do a specific hard test, or race.

I'd use this to fill the gaps in my training - MTB and TT both use a constant HR threshold type of style, long climbs or constant wattage so having the instantaneous feedback isn't really necessary, for time based HIT intervals I would ride my road bike with Quarq.

It's a pity this cannot be calibrated anymore tho, I would have ridden both systems simultaneously to aquire power numbers over a set course, then adjust the percentages to be relatively the same.

As Rpedro alluded to earlier, the major concern is your seasonal improvements, and this is largely dependant on your Power produced in correlation to your FTP. Over = Hard and under = not so hard.

Say my ftp is 200w and I ride for an hour at 200w I get a TSS of 100 with a PT/Quarq/SRM

now if I ride the Powercal and it gets me at 180w for the same hour I get a TSS of 90. (for arguments sake)

If I could then calibrate the Powercal to read 10% more I would hit my true wattage and have a useable TSS. and have nearly identical data to my other bike disciplines.

I had a Polar Powermeter before and while the science is largely different, the training effect is the same. Do a power test pre season, train and track your training and then do another power test at your peak to see your gains, repeat each block and you will be able to see your training take effect.

You will also be able to see your gains if you do your repeats on the exact same course in similar conditions and measuring your distance travelled and ave speed per interval, even if you don't have a true reading PM.

What I did with Polar is race a mate with an SRM, we did the same interval on the same day together. Started and finished together, neck and neck.

Then we went home and weighed ourselves with bikes (Everything still on as we rode) then we compared power numbers, divided into power to weight ratio and multiplied it back to get my true power according to his SRM. I could then recalibrate my numbers that my Polar was spitting out.

I hope this product does what it says on the can, power training to the masses is a great service. if so I will buy one to add to my quiver of tools.

I would also be willing to receive and test a unit and compare the numbers for people to see, if anyone wants to part with theirs for a week or so.

great news guys and girls, finally got the PowerCal working. will have some graphs up tomorrow to view. will be done on the indoor trainer.

Silence! Sorry I meant science!

Science isn't an exact theory is it?

No, but you get good and bad science. Good science is usually when you use exacts or you use very good assumptions. Bad science is when you use poor assumptions. If you start out with bad assumptions you will mostly get bad results. I do not mind getting more info on this product, but at the moment it seems like a product that is not based on good training principles and that could lead to many people being either under or overtrained because they do not fall within the generalized dataset. Like I said, I still believe pure heart rate training will be better than this. All this seems to do is make you think you are training with power. It is far from proper power based training.

Edited by The_Break

great news guys and girls, finally got the PowerCal working. will have some graphs up tomorrow to view. will be done on the indoor trainer.

Some road based graphs would be nice as well

No, but you get good and bad science. Good science is usually when you use exacts or you use very good assumptions. Bad science is when you use poor assumptions. If you start out with bad assumptions you will mostly get bad results. I do not mind getting more info on this product, but at the moment it seems like a product that is not based on good training principles and that could lead to many people being either under or overtrained because they do not fall within the generalized dataset. Like I said, I still believe pure heart rate training will be better than this. All this seems to do is make you think you are training with power. It is far from proper power based training.

Remember these, calculations based on wind speed or something silly. Never really took off.

post-4352-0-17405800-1341986448.jpg

Any news yet

Any news yet

so far we have got all working, however trsting will continue over the weekend and be done on 3 riders.