Introducing PowerCal a new kind of Power Meter

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the main selling factor will be the price. If it sells for R1000.00 then I think you must bring in plenty stock.

For that price most of us will live with a 5% discrepancy.

Another big plus is that it's ANT+.

Bring it on !!!

When are you expecting stock ??

Right guys this is the response I got from CycleOps direct, with all the questions coming in I am trying really hard to answer them as best I can and I am working very closely with America on this as we would really like this product to be a success once launched.

“The algorithm was derived from years and years of analyzing power files with HR. We should focus on messaging it that the PowerCal looks at behavior of the heart when stress is applied or taken away from your body, and translate this addition or removal of effort from HR into power readings, enabling a user to receive power and begin understanding the vernacular, share files with coach, and get familiar with the dose (power) vs. response (HR) relationship at a higher level.”

“The Powercal looks closely at not only the instantaneous HR to determine wattage, but also how fast or slow the HR is increasing/decreasing to determine the wattage. Again, it is translating (key word!) HR into power metrics for around R1000.00 which is break-through. As an individual increases his/her fitness and their HR remains lower for a given wattage output, the PowerCal will consistently track/notice and therefore measure the wattage output because it is also the changes in HR increases/decreases that are important, not just the instantaneous HR=wattage relationship”

Again I bring up the point that it does not have the 1.5% accuracy that the PowerTap has as it does not measure Power like the PT does.

“It does, however, calculate wattage based on 10+ years of experience and studying of the HR and wattage relationship and it takes into consideration all the external factors that goes into riding outside instead of a controlled lab setting during a ramp-up test.”

If you feel you are at a level where the PowerCal may not be beneficial to you then we would suggest a PowerTap and at the moment Bicycle Power are blowing out their 2011 stock. You can buy a full PowerTap system (hub, computer, HR, download cable etc) for less than R10 000!!!!!

Reality is that it is not as accurate as a Powertap. So what!?! - to me okes only want to know "actual power" for their "om die braai-vuur" bragging rights. If you can track "improvement" in power - ie. you are getting fitter and stronger over a period for <R1000, the PowerCal makes good sense.

Put my name down. I am keen on one of these

cool, your names been added to the growing list :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

IMO the main selling factor will be the price. If it sells for R1000.00 then I think you must bring in plenty stock.

For that price most of us will live with a 5% discrepancy.

Another big plus is that it's ANT+.

Bring it on !!!

When are you expecting stock ??

stock expected as soon as the Joule 1.0 is launched from the states, we have got a pre order in with them already. i am hoping to get in the next next 2-4 week

yes it is possible to run with, we have the first test unit on its way to SA as we speak should be here next week, as soon as it arrives i will put it though its paces and try give some states as to what it is like against a PT

I am also interested on how it compares to a traditional PM, especially in regards to hard efforts and the effect of gradient and wind

Hmmm... a few early adopters here of this new product.

I'll wait a while and look forward to your consumer reviews.

:thumbup:

stock expected as soon as the Joule 1.0 is launched from the states, we have got a pre order in with them already. i am hoping to get in the next next 2-4 week

Great, so they'll be here by end of July.

Great, so they'll be here by end of July.

hoping so!!! the TdF will put everyone back in the mood to go training, the weather should be getting better, an ideal time to play with ones new toys!!!!

I might be interested as it is a huge saving. I would however need to get a new computer as I am currently using Polar. I would most likely opt for something which gives real time ave power stats for laps while on your bike. Which computer, apart from Edge 800, has this function?

I might be interested as it is a huge saving. I would however need to get a new computer as I am currently using Polar. I would most likely opt for something which gives real time ave power stats for laps while on your bike. Which computer, apart from Edge 800, has this function?

have a look at the CycleOps Joule 1.0 and Joule GPS, the Joule 1.0 will be launched same time as PowerCal Joule GPS a little later: http://www.bicyclepower.co.za/Products/CycleOpsPowerTaps.aspx

Maybe I've missed it in this topic somewhere but it is important to note that you will need to do a power test in order for this unit to be more accurate. If you know your FTP (functional threshold power) then my guess is that this unit could be accurate indeed.

I already have a PT on my road bike and therefore I will adjust my FTP as my fitness increases. I recon this unit will be a useful device to use for when I go mountain biking because I do not have a PT for my MTB.

Currently when I train with my PT I can always see the close correlation between HR and Power.

I recon an accurate FTP is key.

Can my name also be added to the ORDER list?

Maybe I've missed it in this topic somewhere but it is important to note that you will need to do a power test in order for this unit to be more accurate. If you know your FTP (functional threshold power) then my guess is that this unit could be accurate indeed.

I already have a PT on my road bike and therefore I will adjust my FTP as my fitness increases. I recon this unit will be a useful device to use for when I go mountain biking because I do not have a PT for my MTB.

Currently when I train with my PT I can always see the close correlation between HR and Power.

I recon an accurate FTP is key.

Can my name also be added to the ORDER list?

sorry not too sure i understand what you mean by a FTP will help wiith accuracy of the PowerCal, ones FTP will have nothing to do with it as the PowerCal does not need to be calibrated, yes knowing ones FTP will help in generating training zones etc

but otherwise yes it is ideal for some of our cleints who have a Road system but do MTB or visa versa.

sorry not too sure i understand what you mean by a FTP will help wiith accuracy of the PowerCal, ones FTP will have nothing to do with it as the PowerCal does not need to be calibrated, yes knowing ones FTP will help in generating training zones etc

but otherwise yes it is ideal for some of our cleints who have a Road system but do MTB or visa versa.

I'm not sure I understand my own post as well....lol....I think my FTP post is a load of bull but it sounded good at the time :-D