SLX (M666) vs XT (M785) Brakes

TopFuel

Ja look I have XT's, and really loving them, much better than the Avid Elixir CR's I had before. The are a dream to bleed, light enough, tough enough and they don't break the bank. But if you look at overall value, the SLX's are hard to beat, actually the whole SLX range is awesome expecially the crank. XT just have a bit more pimpness. If I was building a bike on a strict budget, I would go SLX. I think the MBUK crew was impressed by the cost vs performance

Not too sure that Shimano and pimp go together? IMO even XTR isn't pimp - its damn good, but certainly to common to be pimp.

I do agree on XT being worth it though. (I'm running XT/XTR)

Go for the M666 rather than the previous model - this design was a step change in braking performance.

Also - buy the XT without ICE rotors rather than SLX with. I'm running the 2011 XTR brakes with older "normal" rotors and have yet to see fade of any description. The first time I used the new style XTRs I grabbed my normal handful and just about launched myself over the bars. They modulate really well and need so less pressure - 1 finger braking is finally here!

I'm running 2012 SLX levers and calipers with XT ice tech rotors. I don't know what real world benefit you'll get with XT levers and calipers over the SLX (which is prety much what the MBUK magazine article said). I'm 85kg and use 1 finger heavy and late braking to make up time where I can and I have yet to experience any fade with this set up.

BTW The same cannot be said of the Elixir 5 setup I previously ran which was difficult to setup, noisy in dusty or wet conditions and faded very quickly under heavy braking

Not too sure that Shimano and pimp go together? IMO even XTR isn't pimp - its damn good, but certainly to common to be pimp.

I do agree on XT being worth it though. (I'm running XT/XTR)

IMO they are the much better looking than anything in the SRAM, Hope or Magura stable, Formula however does take the pimpness cake

Thanks guys, decided to go with 2012 XT brakes. A Hubber (TheV) came through at a well decent price for them. Undercut CWC by a long shot.

Thanks guys, decided to go with 2012 XT brakes. A Hubber (TheV) came through at a well decent price for them. Undercut CWC by a long shot.

Can recommend him. Bought my SLX brakes fom him great prices and all shiny new

will second an third, bought a pair of XT 2012 + Ice Tech rotors from TheV also.

G

Can recommend him. Bought my SLX brakes fom him great prices and all shiny new