90kw 1.4 TSI tiguan

Lukep

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Luke, we have one - the wife drives it and it's really awesome. (had it for about 4 months now).

Very nice to drive and more than enough power for normal daily use. Very solid and very good on consumption....it sips slowly.

We don't tow anything major but did get the automatic foldaway towbar which we use for the bike carrier.

All in all a very solid build and a pleasure to drive.

My colleague has one. More than enough of an engine as it has a lot of low down torque from 1500RPM because of the turbo charger and then pllenty of power up from 3500. All in all a fantastic little car. If I recall it was engine of the year was it not? I have the 1.2 TSI in my Jetta and even that is enough. VW's strategy was to downsize engine capcities in order to reduce CO2 emissions, but then turbocharge to give the power and torque when needed. During normal driving the engines are exceptionally efficient, but when you put the pedal down the little turbine works wonders.

Sounds good.

I think it is the way of the future, I am not a fast driver and tend to be a relaxed driver but it is always nice to have a little power for overtaking and driving uphill.

Then the engine will be perfect for you. My Jetta often gets under 5l/100km on my trip to work. About 90km/h average with a few stops. The 5th and 6th gears are also long gears so low revs at high speeds to further reduce consumption.

The TDI engines I believe are going to become a thing of the past as if you look at the price difference and what you would save on fuel between petrol and diesel with the TSi vs TDI engines, it makes financial sense to go for t TSI.

Good luck and enjoy the vehicle!

Then the engine will be perfect for you. My Jetta often gets under 5l/100km on my trip to work. About 90km/h average with a few stops. The 5th and 6th gears are also long gears so low revs at high speeds to further reduce consumption.

The TDI engines I believe are going to become a thing of the past as if you look at the price difference and what you would save on fuel between petrol and diesel with the TSi vs TDI engines, it makes financial sense to go for t TSI.

Good luck and enjoy the vehicle!

I dunno so much about TDi engines becoming history. I loved my diesel. I'm really kinda of sceptical about these tiny little motors making so much power. I believe there will be heaps of failures to come before it is perfected. Just like the problems BMW and VW had with their TDi's in the beginning.

Alittle bird at the my VW garage has told me about 4 failures already.

I dunno so much about TDi engines becoming history. I loved my diesel. I'm really kinda of sceptical about these tiny little motors making so much power. I believe there will be heaps of failures to come before it is perfected. Just like the problems BMW and VW had with their TDi's in the beginning.

The only major problems with the TSI engines will be the same as with the TDI if any, probably with the turbo charger. That is technology that is still not perfected. Are you on the reef by any chance? That is where most turbo failures occur. Like with the 96kW TDi engines in polos a few years back.

The only real reason why TDIs may stay around will be for the torque and pulling ability, but from a fuel consumption point of view the additional cost no longer makes sense so when people figure this out, they will opt for the cheaper TSI engines which will be as reliable as the TDI ones. My take on it at least.

Hi Luke, we have one - the wife drives it and it's really awesome. (had it for about 4 months now).

Very nice to drive and more than enough power for normal daily use. Very solid and very good on consumption....it sips slowly.

We don't tow anything major but did get the automatic foldaway towbar which we use for the bike carrier.

All in all a very solid build and a pleasure to drive.

Hi V

Is this the 4motion or the normal 4x2?

I'm considering getting one for my wife and have heard mixed revues on consumption.

Ryan

Spec for the two are

1.4 TSI petrol 90kw anbd 200nm at 5000rpm

vs.

2.0tdi diesel 81kw and 280nm at 1750-2500rpm

I currently drive a 2002 E46 320i whihc has 125kw and 210nm at 3500rpm at sea level and I live in JHB so take 10% of those figures off.

Going to test drive the 2.0tdi the 81kw version to help me make up my mind.

I have called around and the general feeling is that you get more money back when it comes time to trade in on the petrols than on the diesels so that is a + point for the petrol,

The + point for the diesel is the extra 80nm of tourqe

The only major problems with the TSI engines will be the same as with the TDI if any, probably with the turbo charger. That is technology that is still not perfected. Are you on the reef by any chance? That is where most turbo failures occur. Like with the 96kW TDi engines in polos a few years back.

The problem with those polo's was that they were fitted with below standard oil pumps which failed after a certain time period.