Full Face Helmet and neck brace for XC

ramsew

Witnessed a guy take a bad fall over the weekend in Tokai (Snake Eyes), firstly I hope he's ok as he looked in a bad way with what appeared to be a spinal injury (not confirmed).

I ride a hard tail which I'm pushing harder and harder with each ride. Really questioning whether I should start wearing more protective gear or am I just getting 'soft'.

Love riding and only want to ride faster over more challenging terrain - is it time to move DH?

Was wondering if any XC riders wear full face helmets and/or neck braces for single track riding.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you ride... Take the Mankele Avalanche its a 4X race ie Hectic Downhill with lots of pedalling uphill lol....

We do it in Baggies others go all out and wear helmets and guards....

Either way if you fall its going to hurt.

After my last fall cost me 2 shoulder ops I have now ordered a Special vest that will protect my shoulders in case of an impact. Its short sleeve so not really visible...I think we can all laugh at people heavily kitted until we get hurt so bad we do not want to take a chance...

So each to his own I guess...

I'm no xc rider, but I am an owner of a full face & neck brace.

first off, if your neck is your biggest concern and you would feel safer with a brace, you will have to go all out and wear a full face too. A leatt brace relies on a full face to do its job. Without a full face, you may as well wear a toilet seat around your neck :lol:

Second, if you find yourself pushing the limits and enjoying technical descents more than endurance testing climbs, then maybe dh is for you. But don't forget its more sensible cousin, enduro.

Search on YouTube for enduro mtb vids. The megavalanche in particular. This discipline involves very tech riding, distances of around 30km, and full face helmets.

So yeah if you're itching to wear a full face for safety reasons (or just cos they look way more awesome), then do so. And if race-snake-weight-weenies give you a hard time, just tell them you're an enduro rider.

EDIT: predictive text typos fixed especially for Hairy ;)

Edited by patches

So each to his own I guess...

I am seriously considering wearing at least a FF helmet, I should also reconsider which riding discipline (new bike :whistling: ) best suits my riding

I'm no xc rider, but i am an owner of a full face & neck brace.

first off, if your neck is your biggest concern and you would feel safer with a brace, you will have to go all out and wear a full face too. A leatt brace relies on a full face to do its job. Without a full gave, you may as well wear a toilet seat around your neck :lol:

second, if you find yourself pushing the limits and enjoying technical descents more than endurance testing climbs, then maybe dh odd for you. But don't forget its more sensible cousin, enduro.

Search on YouTube for enduro mtb vids. The megavalanche in particular. This discipline involves very tech riding, distances of around 30km, and full face helmets.

So yeah if you're itching to wear a full face for safety reasons (out just cos they look way more awesome), then do so. And if race-snake-weight-weenies give tout a hard time, just twill them you're an enduro rider.

Liking the sound of this Enduro Malarkey - will check it out!

Got my ff for dh, and my pisspot dj helmet for xc. Seriously considering using the dh helmet all the time since I'm taking more and more risks on the xc bike...

Also got a back/chest protector, knee and elbow guards as well as padded under shorts.

Always using the knee and elbow pads. May use the other guards more as well in the future...

In offroad and enduro bike racing the mantra is 'dress for the fall, not for the ride...'

If you're pushing the limits then this applies to pedal bikes too.

I'm no xc rider, but i am an owner of a full face & neck brace.

first off, if your neck is your biggest concern and you would feel safer with a brace, you will have to go all out and wear a full face too. A leatt brace relies on a full face to do its job. Without a full gave, you may as well wear a toilet seat around your neck :lol:

second, if you find yourself pushing the limits and enjoying technical descents more than endurance testing climbs, then maybe dh odd for you. But don't forget its more sensible cousin, enduro.

So yeah if you're itching to wear a full face for safety reasons (out just cos they look way more awesome), then do so. And if race-snake-weight-weenies give tout a hard time, just twill them you're an enduro rider.

Switch off the predictive text Patches :eek:

Switch off the predictive text Patches :eek:

haha! those typos were the result of predictive text and swype typing combined! But I fixed the original, haha!

When I rode sabie x last year I often found myself in a group witha guy that rode in a full face. He was on a anthem 29er

I ride mostly downhill and as a result make sure i have as much protection as possible. Basically I dress for the crash!!!! I occasionally do the XC / freeride thing and still wear all my protective gear. It saved me a few months ago when i miss judged a section on a XC trail at Giba Gorge. Sent me over the bars and the bike followed !!!! I may look odd when im out on the XC trail full kitted out, but you never know what can happen.

Edited by Gravity-Life

29er with a full face... I thought only Cedric Gracia was allowed to do that :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCMW2zHOo0

:lol:

But jc, I'm sure you saw those handful of guys who wore full face tids to critical mass last friday.

So now one can wear a full face for a road ride...

but again... only if you're like Sir Ced :lol:

Edited by patches

I am seriously considering wearing at least a FF helmet, I should also reconsider which riding discipline (new bike :whistling: ) best suits my riding

Just dont wear toit lycra with a full face helmet, gonna look like a tool, rather wear the baggies and t-shirt.. ;-)