Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can never go wrong with a dropper amd once you have one you not be able to ride without it.

I sometimes think I use mine more than I should as I use it all the time. Thaba is a great place to use a dropper.

I probably use mine 30 to 40 times on a Spruit ride ;)

Ok people, need help here. Got my bike (will post pics shortly) and it came the old version 100mm dropper and my old bike has a new version 125mm dropper so obviously i swopped them around.

Now heres thet thing, the 125mm dropper is as far down as i cam get it, but still feels like i need ot to go down a little bit more. The other issue is that the cable at the lost end has a big kink in it, presumably from me pushing the lost too far down, amd nw the lever is really hard to operate.

So i put the old 100mm dropper in and still i feel it should go down a little more but cant. What can i do here? I have spent all morning swopping posts and am gatvol now. Its a beautiful giant trance medium frame amd i am 1.74m tall so frame size os right.

post-57045-0-75718700-1471522000_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-35209900-1471522026_thumb.jpg

is as far down as i cam get it, but still feels like i need ot to go down a little bit more. 

As in the post is as far down the seat tube as you can get it?

Is the saddle too high when fully extended?

Edited by popcorn_skollie

That looks about right for the amount of insertion you can get on the medium frame with a 125mm dropper. 

So - just how much do you need it to go down by? There are a few options you can consider

Remove padding from saddle

Get a saddle with a shallower rail-to-top measurement (so it's more slimline)

Thicker pedals

Shorter cranks (down to 170's or 165's - will shorten the saddle to pedal measurement when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke)

Run it externally (maybe, I dunno if this will allow it to go in any further)

Don't release it all the way to the top when you raise the saddle (it is an infinite adjust seatpost after all)

Get yourself a rack and 4 horses

Hang from the rafters by your feet for an hour a day

Put extra innersoles in your shoes

Edited by Myles Mayhew

As in the post is as far down the seat tube as you can get it?

Is the saddle too high when fully extended?

The post is as far down as it can go into the seat tube that its actually bent the wire causimg remote to feel very stiff.

Yes, feels like the saddle is slightly too high.

That looks about right for the amount of insertion you can get on the medium frame with a 125mm dropper.

So - just how much do you need it to go down by? There are a few options you can consider

Remove padding from saddle

Get a saddle with a shallower rail-to-top measurement (so it's more slimline)

Thicker pedals

Shorter cranks (down to 170's or 165's - will shorten the saddle to pedal measurement when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke)

Run it externally (maybe, I dunno if this will allow it to go in any further)

Don't release it all the way to the top when you raise the saddle (it is an infinite adjust seatpost after all)

Get yourself a rack and 4 horses

Hang from the rafters by your feet for an hour a day

Put extra innersoles in your shoes

Hahah...hang from the rafters...will be sure to try that one..lol

feels like the saddle is slightly too high.

On both droppers?

I assume the 125mm version has a longer overall length.

Remember, more travel isn't necessarily better.

100mm might be all you need. It really depends on the frame.

I used to have a 100mm giant dropper on an old small framed trance and it was more than enough for me. 

As a last resort if it's a really small amount - cut the seat tube down. Have done it before... 

Nope. Won't work. There's the kink in the frame where the rocker sits. My 150mm dropper (on the large frame) sits about 2cm proud of the seat tube at max insertion. 

Nope. Won't work. There's the kink in the frame where the rocker sits. My 150mm dropper (on the large frame) sits about 2cm proud of the seat tube at max insertion. 

Bugger. 

On both droppers?

I assume the 125mm version has a longer overall length.

Remember, more travel isn't necessarily better.

100mm might be all you need. It really depends on the frame.

I used to have a 100mm giant dropper on an old small framed trance and it was more than enough for me. 

nope. the old 100mm dropper of Giant's was REALLY long. About the same overall length as the current 125mm, if not a bit longer. Mainly due to the seat clamp stack height. 

nope. the old 100mm dropper of Giant's was REALLY long. About the same overall length as the current 125mm, if not a bit longer. Mainly due to the seat clamp stack height.

Yup, the old 100mm feels the same as the new 125mm. Going to try look at externak routing but put the post in first to see if it will make a difference.

If not, the route as before but just dont extend the seat at full height.