Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

Nice Price!

Quick questions plse: What year are they? Right hand lever?

current year model, right hand lever. Or left hand lever if you put it upside down.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Ok so I've not had it a long time but here is my Review of my KS Dropzone.

I had a Crank Bro's Joplin and I've not held back on my displeasure of it. It leaked oil from the 4th ride and stopped pushing up completely after about the 8th ride. I think it's so crap that I've sold it for 2 beers. True story. Ask Mayhem.

On to the KS Dropzone.

First off there is a local agent. Which is good cos let's be honest droppers aren't fit and forget items. I bought the post from www.bikebits.co.za. I was in pretoria at the time. I ordered it on the Tuesday and it arrived on the Wednesday morning. so nice one there. And the R2050 price tag was nice too.

Fitment.

My only point of reference has been the Joplin. I ordered the KS with the remote. I was hesitant about doing that cos I hate having wires all over the place on my bars. I have to say I have been very pleasantly surprised. The remote replaces the inside lock ring on an ODI grip. Not as good as the Joplin with the single interface if you run Avid brakes but neat none the less. My one complaint is that the bolt provided with the remote was not long enough but I just dug around in my box of spares for something long enough. Care also needs to be taken with the routing cos it can easily interfere with brakes and shifters. Nothing a cable tie can't sort out tho.

The other end of the post needs a bit of thought cos you don't want it interfering with your suspension or rubbing on your tires. Also having a whole bunch of cable ties everywhere looks shite.

Operation.

It just works. As intended and without any fuss or histrionics. The 125mm drop is perfect for me (I'm short) the 100mm drop on the Joplin was not enough for me and I always ended up compromising on the lower seat position. I like to move around on the bike a lot so having 125mm of drop is good. With the KS it goes as high as I want it and drops as low as I want it.

For someone who is taller I'd recommend the LEV. It has 150mm of travel and the neater cable routing is just spectacular. Of course the R3800 price tag is a little much for a pleb like me.

• 2 weeks later...

KS Lev review on MTBR

http://reviews.mtbr....seatpost-review

Bottom Line

I am mighty impressed with the KS LEV, and the cable-actuated hydraulic dropper seatpost which uses oil and an air spring for movement and locking, is full of innovative designs and features. It has buttery smooth operation without any stiction or notchiness, and its cable connection design which resides at the bottom of the post instead of the stanchion head, means there is no housing movement, making for excellent cable management and lack of interference with the rider or rear tire. To get the bottom connector in the proper alignment in relation to the saddle, they use a creative design that mates some dimples on the top of the post with indentation’s on the saddle’s clamp system, offering 20º increments of rotation. The carbon remote has a nice ergonomic feel, and the lever and cable offered smooth and friction-free movement, without any notchiness. The cables end hook connects with a covered cylindrical coupler at the base of the post, which actuates the hydraulic lock. This cover kept the internal mechanism environment containment free, for increased longevity and smoother operation. The multiple travel lengths of 100, 125 and 150mm, and the diameters of 27.2, 30.9 and 31.6mm, really covers the gamut of bikes and rider requirements.

To alter the pressure on the return air spring requires dismantling the saddle clamp system, making for arduous experience, but fortunately the default speed is adequate. When the temperatures dropped below freezing, the movement got sluggish and occasionally sticky. It’s an expensive seatpost, but I think the price of admission for the LEV’s features and functions are well worth it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the KS LEV, and its smooth plush operation and trouble free usage from the get-go have been fantastic, and the lack of interfering housing and cable management due to innovative connection design makes for a superb dropper seatpost.

Strengths

• Silky-smooth movement
  • Easy operation and installation
  • No housing movement to deal with
  • Easy and clean cable management
  • 27.2, 30.9 and 31.6 diameters
  • 100, 125 and 150mm of infinite adjustment

Weaknesses

• Expensive
  • Air adjustment port is under saddle
  • Hooking the cylindrical coupler can be finicky
  • Slowness/Stickiness in extreme cold (common to other hydraulic posts)

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ks_lev_mojo_hd.jpg

Edited by The Crow

current year model, right hand lever. Or left hand lever if you put it upside down.

So it's a left hand lever ;)

(Those with Reverbs will agree that running the lever upside down is the best option)

Too bad its not a 30.9

Will most likely go for a KS Dropzone on the Mbuzi. Not sure if 125mm is enough drop.

Will prefer to try it out first.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

So it's a left hand lever wink.png

(Those with Reverbs will agree that running the lever upside down is the best option)

True. Works best with a right hand lever run under the bar on the left. Much easier to thumb it!

True. Works best with a right hand lever run under the bar on the left. Much easier to thumb it!

That's the way I run mine.

Too bad its not a 30.9

Will most likely go for a KS Dropzone on the Mbuzi. Not sure if 125mm is enough drop.

Will prefer to try it out first.

125 is good. Unless you ride super steep stuff or want to fit to DH / FR bike with a very low seat tube then the extra 25mm wll help.

125 is good. Unless you ride super steep stuff or want to fit to DH / FR bike with a very low seat tube then the extra 25mm wll help.

SIR M purchased the Dropzone yesterday. Complete with colour coded green collar, lever etc for the Mbuzi.

Guest Omega Man

He arrived, i saw, i wanted.

Couldn't help myself.

Nice. You'll love it. works a treat and the lever on the odi grip thingy works great.

• 4 months later...