Dirt inside shifter indicator window

BLACKvoodoo

So the domestic technician turned my bike upside down (old school dikwiel style) to wash it and muddy water has made it's way into the little windows

Is it just a cover plate I can unscrew and clean?

post-24958-0-64556400-1341898062.jpg

XT Shifters? Just take off the shift indicators and replace with the blanking plate. Much cleaner look on your bars. Then you can clean the shifter windows at your leisure.

XT Shifters? Just take off the shift indicators and replace with the blanking plate. Much cleaner look on your bars. Then you can clean the shifter windows at your leisure.

Yes please....there is no need for the indicators, they are fugly and scream newbie. Do the right thing and donner them away.

Blanking plate?

Edited by BLACKvoodoo

Blanking plate?

keyboard error from flippa, its backing plate. Remove the indicator and replace with the backing plate that is currently on your shifters.

keyboard error from flippa, its backing plate. Remove the indicator and replace with the backing plate that is currently on your shifters.

WHAT? :blink:

On the back of the indicator there should be a little cap the size of a R1 coin. Thats it!!! Some have it others dont

Sorry for hijack

I am looking for a set of those covers to replace the shift indicators,if anyone has some please pm me.

Hijack off

• 1 month later...

The cover plate is included on the XT M770 shifters, but not the new M780 - FAIL!

Instructions here: http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0023-downloadFile.html/17)%20Optical%20Gear%20Display%20Removal.pdf

And finding those little covers thingies for the M780 shifters is difficult. apparently Coolheat doesn't bring them in and they dont seem to be available on too many online shops.

post-615-0-42496200-1344951342.jpg

Edited by splat

Sorry for hijack

I am looking for a set of those covers to replace the shift indicators,if anyone has some please pm me.

Hijack off

I've got some, if you don't come right, brand new.

Yes please....there is no need for the indicators, they are fugly and scream newbie. Do the right thing and donner them away.

Scream Newbie?????????? I have been riding my bikes for well over 10 years (not that I'm any good), but those gear indicators are brilliant. Why should only "Newbies" want to see what gear they are in?

Anyway, you can quite easily remove that top plate and give the window a clean. Nothing will fall out.

Scream Newbie?????????? I have been riding my bikes for well over 10 years (not that I'm any good), but those gear indicators are brilliant. Why should only "Newbies" want to see what gear they are in?

Anyway, you can quite easily remove that top plate and give the window a clean. Nothing will fall out.

Yip....scream newbie. why are they brilliant, why would you want to know what gear you are in?...confused

Remove them tonight, they just make your cockpit cluttered.

Yip....scream newbie. why are they brilliant, why would you want to know what gear you are in?...confused

Remove them tonight, they just make your cockpit cluttered.

Did I mention that I also have bar ends on my riser bars.

Did I mention that I also have bar ends on my riser bars.

Some people do not have much choice in the matter with those Topeak Ergon jobbies.

PersonallyI do not see the point of the gearshift indicators. A quick glance at the cluster is all that is needed for me. And most of the time I know which gear I am in already. But then I only have 9 to choose from.