SS SA at Thaba - what gear ?

Iron

The route is the same as the Thaba Thoughee route. I rode it on Saturday on a 32x19 and was broken by half way. The second half of the route has more steeps than the first half. Needless to say, I'm gearing up to a 20 rear cog and will try it again on Saturday.

From what I understand it's 2 laps of this course, i.e. 40km (Thaba Toughee was 20km), if so, I'll be broken by quarter way...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally ride a 32/17 on my ss but I changed the rear to a 20 for the XC race I did at Phambili last weekend.

I'm riding Thaba on Saturday morning with the same ratio so will see how it goes.

The route for the SS SA is only 1.5 laps of Thaba not 2.

So I rode Thaba on Saturday morning but the normal trail, or at least the first part thereof (16k's).

I did walk on a couple of occasions uphill with the 32x20 but I'm led to believe that those tougher sections won't be incorporated.

thanks for that , we hitting the trail this saterday , gonna take a 18 and 20 with do a lap or two and see .

So I rode Thaba on Saturday morning but the normal trail, or at least the first part thereof (16k's).

I did walk on a couple of occasions uphill with the 32x20 but I'm led to believe that those tougher sections won't be incorporated.

Hope we still go to the top by the venue. That downhill is awesome

thanks for that , we hitting the trail this saterday , gonna take a 18 and 20 with do a lap or two and see .

The one thing you guys mustn't forget is that unlike a social ride where you can get a "run up" to get some momentum for the steeper climbs. There are gona be a bunch of other guys/girls trying to get their costum Clad asses up there too.

Rode there yesterday morning with a mate, he's also considering a smaller gear upfront.

You back? How was your trip?

The one thing you guys mustn't forget is that unlike a social ride where you can get a "run up" to get some momentum for the steeper climbs. There are gona be a bunch of other guys/girls trying to get their costum Clad asses up there too.

but it's Ok cause it's not a race :whistling:

Anyoone have a 20 - front ring for me? The first loop is awesome, the 2nd, eish... Maybe I can have a big beer shortcut, like cut out the whole of the 2nd loop and just drink beer! :)

Anyoone have a 20 - front ring for me? The first loop is awesome, the 2nd, eish... Maybe I can have a big beer shortcut, like cut out the whole of the 2nd loop and just drink beer! :)

Were you there this afternoon?

I was indeed! You too?

As I was leaving the gate fellow told me that a few singlespeeders had arrived ...... I had lots of gears (and 650b wheels ;) ) luckily!

As I was leaving the gate fellow told me that a few singlespeeders had arrived ...... I had lots of gears (and 650b wheels ;) ) luckily!

At times I was searching for gears, used third gear a few times too. Looking for a 20, hope the 1 extra tooth will help. There were a few other guys on SS bikes, testing out the ratios, all way over geared though, and people say Joburg is flat!

On a different note, that "gate fellow" is really sharp, note to self, let Wendell know he has a good guy there when next I see him...