Bicycle weight difference

Barkie

I am looking at buying a new MTB that weighs about 2kgs less than my current one. It feels faster, but unfortunately did not have a speedometer. What difference would 2 kilograms make on a mountain bike?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are Barry a lot but for us immortals not a lot over 40km maybe 10-20 sec.Hope somebody can give a good answer

I think it depends where you lose the weight. I think wheels make the biggest difference in rolling resistance and weight. Got a scott spark with mavic training wheels with maxxis lust tyres (heavy) then my race wheels are 650b Amereican classic 1690 g with schwable 540g a tyre. The difference in weight is 1.1kg and it makes a huge difference.

Useless information but applicable here: A friend and I worked it out that per 1kg that you save on your bike it is equal to 5kg body weight.

It works out to about R5000 per kg to reduce your bike weight but 1kg.

When I was 10kg heavier, I'm now 70kgs, I noticed an improvement of about 2km/h average speed in a race situation.

I am looking at buying a new MTB that weighs about 2kgs less than my current one. It feels faster, but unfortunately did not have a speedometer. What difference would 2 kilograms make on a mountain bike?

A lot, I can feel it when I change between my carbon hardtail and my Ali Full Sus.

If you are Barry a lot but for us immortals not a lot over 40km maybe 10-20 sec.Hope somebody can give a good answer

The question is... Who is Barry???

A friend and I worked it out that per 1kg that you save on your bike it is equal to 5kg body weight.

How did you work this out?

The more tired you are the more you will notice the difference. An when you have to carry the bike.

The is no authorative question answer to this question. Guys who tried time trials up Alp du Huep (spelling?) found a kg made a few seconds difference and filling the wheels with water made a few more seonds difference but nothing major.

If you spent the money in shaving 2kg off your bike on a good cycling coach the performance difference will probabally be major...Barry excluded, of course.

my dad always says the best bike is one that gets ridden

so stop worrying about weight and go ride your bike

my dad always says the best bike is one that gets ridden

so stop worrying about weight and go ride your bike

Never a truer word said.