Groenkloof Bike Jacking

klevin

The criminal element needs to be killed or f#$%^d up good an proper and made an example of, end of story.

Im sick of hearing prosecute them to the full extent of the law IF they get caught, bla bla bla bla bla bla K@K!!

R500 bail and they are off again, never to be seen until the next victim has his/her run in with him.

Not even in numbers we are safe... Where the hell is safe to enjoy your bike and free time???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah this pisses me off, just thinking back to all the kids and woman I've seen driving solo there and how dangerous it is makes my blood boil.

I say they should get those fences electrified.

To me its about more than me and my bike i take my kids so that can enjoy some outdoors and proper free play that they cant do anywhere else,I do not want them to lose this

It is SANParks land right? You will need to phone too, don't stop till you feel cyclist safety is a problem for them.

As I understand it the manager is mtbiker and judging by the great work that has already been done at groenkloof I am sure he will feel the same way and do what needs to be done.

Maybe if anyone has ideas we can send them to him and try to help with the solution.

In my experience David and the staff at Groenkloof are incredibly pro-active. Can only imagine that this is a big concern for them.

Lets get more clarity and see how this can be nipped sharply.

The SANParks Honarary Rangers have a fence patrol group in action there. They would be a good avenue for those who feel this is an issue that needs serious attention. TMNP is the first Honorary Rangers division to get a bike patrol division, approved by Paddy Gordon, no reason why it cannot roll out to other regions too. Only issue may be that we are still in the process of setting up the bike patrol with it's own operations.

Contact them regardless and try arrange a public safety monitoring group. Whistles are one huge deterrent for scumbags and radios offer comms. This is one way the public can offer a service! We have tried for 6 years and now it is happening. The riders can definitely offer added safety, as long as you guys are safe! Ride in groups, 2 or 3.

Look under contact and get in touch.. the sooner the better!

http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/pretoria-region

Edited by Pain or Shine

About two months ago i was riding the part next to the fence at fountains circle when I noticed store account cards lying on the trail. (This was early on a Sunday morning). I slowed down and started picking up the cards one by one. Eventually I picked up the whole wallet with credit cards etc in it.

The cards came from two different people (probably hijacked at fountains circle and then the guys jumped the fence into the reserve.

The only thing I could do was (as I saw a cyclelab card in the wallet) take it to Centurion cyclelab. They did not want to get the details and phone the person in question but I left it there with my phone number ... nothing so far but hopefully the peeps are ok!!

I'll be up for a dawn border patrol or two every week. Sure my boss would understand the need and give me time off :)

Did not know Groenies had HR's?

Went riding at Groenkloof on Sunday 8th July with my Wife around 15h00. We came across a 10 yr old boy who had been bike jacked. He was riding along the jeep track parrallel to Botha Ave when he was push off his bike by 2 assholes and beaten with a pipe. The boy was visibly shaken and in shocked and needed some stitches under his eye.

It is absolutely shocking that a we can't even enjoy riding in a supposedly safe environment like Groenkloof.

Whats a 10yr old doing by themselves there (or anywhere), where's the parents?

Ja, I agree. Would never let my kid ride alone. Even if he/she was on a reserve

Should start taking pepper spray with me to Groenies, but then I might spray a hiker

Edited by Cavendish

I'll be up for a dawn border patrol or two every week. Sure my boss would understand the need and give me time off :)

Did not know Groenies had HR's?

Bushcamp, if that's you in your avatar, you should be ok to patrol by yourself.. not many guys mess with you, right?

His old man was walking the trails and the kid wanted to ride. This should be a safe place to be kid and enjoy the freedom of bike.

The kid will most likely be to sh#t scared to ride again.

That is really bad, in a secure area!!! ridiculous

No way... the whole freaken country is going dont the tube..

Where on the Botha ave section did it happen? I saw a few holes on the single track right next to the fence. As this part gets its first rocky area. Right theres the holes. Its not holes per say but serious damaged fence. Its about 100m at most from the stream crossing!