"vibrations" in disk brakes

wheelz

any one know how I can stop the very annoying vibration feeling, with slight squeel, I get when I apply my rear brakes? I was told by the bike shop that its just dust on the pads but iv tried to clean them and even rubed them with fine sandpaper but that doesnt seem to fix the problem.

Thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a different rotor, are they perhaps Avid Elixir's, if so rotor (after trying everything else) is what worked for me

Brake make and model?

Resin or metal pads?

Centre lock or 6 bolt rotors?

Make and model or rotor?

Are pads wearing evenly?

Brakes bled properly?

Etc.

You could also try cleaning the rotors braking surface with alcohol pads. I buy them from the chemist .....

You could also try cleaning the rotors braking surface with alcohol pads. I buy them from the chemist .....

Doesn't Tumbleweed use those like chewing gum?

Yeah, had a similar problem. Avid Rotor fixed it. I found that a rotor with bigger "holes" made shudder worse

Count yourself lucky to only have a little squeak at the rear, my brakes (Avid Elixer's) sound like a coffee grinder, front & rear....on one ride my front wheel eventually came loose from all the break neck braking.

any one know how I can stop the very annoying vibration feeling, with slight squeel, I get when I apply my rear brakes? I was told by the bike shop that its just dust on the pads but iv tried to clean them and even rubed them with fine sandpaper but that doesnt seem to fix the problem.

Thanks

Hi Wheelz - I bet your brakes are Avids? I 've got the same issue on a new bike with Avid Elixir 9s. As others have commented, changing the rotor seems to work. I'm planning on putting on Ice-Tech Rotors, just haven't have the time yet.

As mentioned above... if they're Avids, then that explains everything. The "Avid Squeel" is as much a trademark as the "Hope buzz".

If it's more of a vibration than squeel issue... then make sure your centrelock/rotor bolts are tight, and that your hub axle is too.

If the squaal bugs you that much... then try some white lightning on your rotors

As mentioned above... if they're Avids, then that explains everything. The "Avid Squeel" is as much a trademark as the "Hope buzz".

If it's more of a vibration than squeel issue... then make sure your centrelock/rotor bolts are tight, and that your hub axle is too.

If the squaal bugs you that much... then try some white lightning on your rotors

And hold on tight??!!

Sometimes the vibration can be that the rotors are slightly warped. A good mechanic will have a tool (looks like a long fork) to straighten them out a bit but this is never ideal.

Use the opportunity to get some bling Hope rotors in the colour of your choice. :D

Sometimes the vibration can be that the rotors are slightly warped. A good mechanic will have a tool (looks like a long fork) to straighten them out a bit but this is never ideal.

Use the opportunity to get some bling Hope rotors in the colour of your choice. :D

Can you get them in RED? :eek:

Can you get them in RED? :eek:

only on tuesdays

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/images/products/hbsp154_140_6f_.jpg

The real question would be...

can one get them in green :ph34r: