Spank the Swiss

patches

Spank the Swiss  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which is a better wheelset?

• Spank Spike rims on Hope Pro II
    • DT-Swiss FR2050

In less than 1 moon I will be going over the great water to ride my bicycle in the land of frog and cheese people.

I have 2 DH wheelsets and I'm not sure which isthe better one to take.

post-10758-0-96630400-1342175255.jpg

DT Swiss FR 2050 (left), Spank Spike (right)

I'm not concerned about which looks better... cos lets face it... they both look awesome.

I'm purely wanting to know which one you think is a better wheel.

Thanks!

Go with hope and spank. If the DT hubs give any sort of trouble you might not find spares. Hopes are easy and basic to fix. Just get those banjo spokes fixed then they should be good

Go with hope and spank. If the DT hubs give any sort of trouble you might not find spares. Hopes are easy and basic to fix. Just get those banjo spokes fixed then they should be good

Both sets have some banjo spokes :ph34r: :lol:

I think the DT's are better "race wheels"... I think lost of the WC riders use them. But as you say, for low maintenace wheels, the Hope-Spank combo might be better!?

Edited by patches

Oh, either way I'd get the banjo spoke fixed. Yea hopes should be better on the maintenance side of things imo.

A voice of reason

dont know much about downhill, but go for the Red ones they should be faster :whistling:

:w00t: is he part of your crew patch?

Yesterday I put the Spank wheels on and went for a little ride. Sound wise the Hope hub and DT-Swiss hub are night and day. Feel wise... both are pretty rigid. Weight wise, the Spank wheelset is lighter, but hard to compare apples and oranges because of different tyres on each set.

I also bought all the goodies necessary for a ghetto-tubeless conversion. Still undecided which lucky rims get that prize

With the Swiss

post-10758-13425399894027.jpg

With the Spank

post-10758-13425400361983.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the instagram pictures hairy. They're theeto hide how dirty the bike is :lol:

Edited by patches

Okay. Swisses sit the bike better ito colour co ordination, but I know you like colour co ordinating as much as Barney likes the teletubbies.

Also, I still would take the SPANKS. I think they're more suited to that riding, and will stand up to the punishment you're going to give them. Go safe, go white.

I don't know, I was just attracted to the "spank" reference in the thread title.

With the Swiss

post-10758-13425399894027.jpg

With the Spank

post-10758-13425400361983.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the instagram pictures hairy. They're theeto hide how dirty the bike is :lol:

Mountain Bikes should always have a little dirt.

Some one has previously commented that the Spanks with Hope hubs would be the easiest to repair should the need arise.

Anther comment from my side is that you are running that I-Beam seatpost and saddle combo ... should you take a tumble you might struggle to find spares in a hurry, so maybe take the other set that is on the older Morewood with you ... just in case and I hope you do not need to have to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Spank Morzine i rekon :thumbup: .Do like those fr2050's tho,what did they set you back if i might ask.Was shure the Fr's would be lighter :blink: ,are the hubz just heavier then the hopes,rims must be lighter on thier own>? :thumbup: