2nd hand value of Bikes

JTK

No...I do like to be different tho

But the real reason I bought the bike iin 2007 is....

Because they don't change a design for a decade so it has longevity(which helps the resale value)

It got a brilliant write up when it was tested against its peers

I test rode one and was blown away by the handling against Giant,GT and a few others

It has top class components

And...I got it for a good price

I also like to be different. I would ride a SC Highball instead of my Giant XTC Comp if I could justify the 50% price difference just to ride something different and a little more special in terms of its heritage and rarity. But I can't justify the 50% so I don't ride a HIghball.

But if I could then I still wouldn't regard the Highball as superior to what I currently ride - just different. At that's where we differ.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it's all based on what someone thinks heir bike is worth and what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Plenty of examples of this on the hub. I've seen used bikes (and I don't mean ridden in the driveway once then put up for sale) going for only R100 than what a brand new one retails for.

On the other hand I've seen a bike that cost around 60k to build, sell for 20 with less than 1 yeah of use (and no, it wasn't a "fast depreciating brand"... it was a handmade boutique brand).

So it's all relative to the ethics/value concept/financial stability that the seller has vs. the better judgement of the buyer

2nd hand price depends on demand and the availability.

Certain bikes are hard to come by new as there is just no stock around. So, someone selling a 2nd hand one will get more for it than say one of the silver Giant 29ers with all the blue bling (you see them everywhere).

2nd hand price depends on demand and the availability.

Certain bikes are hard to come by new as there is just no stock around. So, someone selling a 2nd hand one will get more for it than say one of the silver Giant 29ers with all the blue bling (you see them everywhere).

Even in CT?!... wow! I thought it was only JHB that was plagued with those :lol:

EDIT: 3 most 'commin' 29er duals

• Giant Anthem 29er in silver with blue trim
  • Scott Spark 29er in darn grey
  • Trek Superfly in black, white and a hint of blue

Edited by patches

I also like to be different. I would ride a SC Highball instead of my Giant XTC Comp if I could justify the 50% price difference just to ride something different and a little more special in terms of its heritage and rarity. But I can't justify the 50% so I don't ride a HIghball.

But if I could then I still wouldn't regard the Highball as superior to what I currently ride - just different. At that's where we differ.

The Highball Alu is quite reasonably priced I thought.

Anyway if it rides better then it is better

Not for one minute do you believe all frames are the same.

Imagine comparing my Santa Cruz to a piece of plumbing like a Giant :cursing:

Dude - is that honestly what you believe? You know how many brands of frames are made by Giant (and LOADS of bikes are made in China, including the hub's Beloved Morewoods), right?

And Giant have won: XC (Adam Craig on an 1x10 Anthem, AND recently a Trance), and Danny Hart Beating the hell out of Sam Hill at Champery Downhill last year on His Glory. Santa Cruz are good at trail/all-mountain and brilliant at downhill (Minnaar is testament to this; as are Cedric Gracia; Steve Peat; and the rest of the Syndicate riders). Their Nomad and V-10 are truly brilliant bikes. As is a Giant Reign. As is a giant Glory.

Furthermore, the argument later on that "Trek has taken years to develop their geometry". What a load of fanboy rubbish. Geometry is the EASIEST thing to copy. From rowing boats; to cars; to bikes.

Remember when Scott was a low-down brand? Remember when GT was an Elitist brand? How things have changed. Not due to fancier engineering; but due to team riders who can actually work magic with ANY bike and make the brand look good.. as well as relentless marketing.

And it's also worth noting that there's no point comparing a Dunlop bike to a Giant or a Santa Cruz. Or a Specialized, or a Rose, or a Mondraker. Or or or... Its not even comparable or worth adding the the argument. Pinarello have now joined the MTB league. Jusdging by what it looks like, I would MUCH rather trust a Giant than a Pinarello. Does the value of the name carry through here? Absolutely not.

The idea that a Santa Cruz is hand-welded in a cosy workshop by the cycling equivalent of Gepetto, whereas a Giant is a production line effort by robots; is a pipe-dream. It comes down to engineering and manufacturing; and the costs of each.

And for the record - I loved my Giant as much as my santa cruz. They had different purposes. And are both pieces of brilliant engineering and workmanship. I just ran out of bike (Anthem) and couldn't find a Reign X in my price range. So I got a SC instead.

Dude - is that honestly what you believe? You know how many brands of frames are made by Giant (and LOADS of bikes are made in China, including the hub's Beloved Morewoods), right?

And Giant have won: XC (Adam Craig on an 1x10 Anthem, AND recently a Trance), and Danny Hart Beating the hell out of Sam Hill at Champery Downhill last year on His Glory. Santa Cruz are good at trail/all-mountain and brilliant at downhill (Minnaar is testament to this; as are Cedric Gracia; Steve Peat; and the rest of the Syndicate riders). Their Nomad and V-10 are truly brilliant bikes. As is a Giant Reign. As is a giant Glory.

Furthermore, the argument later on that "Trek has taken years to develop their geometry". What a load of fanboy rubbish. Geometry is the EASIEST thing to copy. From rowing boats; to cars; to bikes.

Remember when Scott was a low-down brand? Remember when GT was an Elitist brand? How things have changed. Not due to fancier engineering; but due to team riders who can actually work magic with ANY bike and make the brand look good.. as well as relentless marketing.

And it's also worth noting that there's no point comparing a Dunlop bike to a Giant or a Santa Cruz. Or a Specialized, or a Rose, or a Mondraker. Or or or... Its not even comparable or worth adding the the argument. Pinarello have now joined the MTB league. Jusdging by what it looks like, I would MUCH rather trust a Giant than a Pinarello. Does the value of the name carry through here? Absolutely not.

The idea that a Santa Cruz is hand-welded in a cosy workshop by the cycling equivalent of Gepetto, whereas a Giant is a production line effort by robots; is a pipe-dream. It comes down to engineering and manufacturing; and the costs of each.

And for the record - I loved my Giant as much as my santa cruz. They had different purposes. And are both pieces of brilliant engineering and workmanship. I just ran out of bike (Anthem) and couldn't find a Reign X in my price range. So I got a SC instead.

The Reign is a tank...or at least was in 2007.Had the turning circle of a bus

blah, blah, blah

Woooah there Bessy!!

Don't paint all Morewoods with the same brush! Yes, the Kwela is made in the East...

I can assure you that all 3 of mine are hand made, and are STILL hand made in PMB (except for the Ndiza which they discontinued).

Remember... Morewood is originally a gravity bike brand ("the bike that downhill built" used to be their slogan) and their gravity bikes are still handmade on SA soil. It's only the cheaper variants which have to be produced in the far east in order to keep up with the demand of the XCer masses.

Now don't let me hear you speak evil of the Mighty M again... mkay! ;) :lol:

Edited by patches

Woooah there Bessy!!

Don't paint all Morewoods with the same brush! Yes, the Kwela is made in the East...

I can assure you that all 3 of mine are hand made, and are STILL hand made in PMB (except for the Ndiza which they discontinued).

Remember... Morewood is originally a gravity bike brand ("the bike that downhill built" used to be their slogan) and their gravity bikes are still handmade on SA soil. It's only the cheaper variants which have to be produced in the far east in order to keep up with the demand of the XCer masses.

Now don't let me hear you speak evil of the Mighty M again... mkay! ;) :lol:

Vat hom fluffy

Vat hom fluffy

hahaha! I've calmed down now! Just like soe people get all defensive of the bulls, sharks, stormer or man united (don't understand that last one)... Morewood is my "sports team" :lol:

I got a Momsen AL529 with SLX , ZTR Crest, and Deaore brakes for R11k new - could not find anything with those type of components for close to that amount

Where did you buy that? Website says R13995...

Diffrent strokes for diffrent okes....

imagine we all loved the same bike.....

LOL

Also a symptom of this forum being dominated by one discipline - XC.

The more you ride other disciplines, the more you appreciate different bikes to do what they're actually designed to. As opposed to some knob riding a 160mm Spez enduro, with Chain Guide, at Northern Farms. And then commenting about its 'abilities'.

And Patches - you can calm down. Was just making reference to a 'south african' brand guilty of the same behaviour. Morewood make good bikes. In China.

The only thing I have learnt from this thread is that I ride a piece of plumbing, aka Giant :unsure:

The only thing I have learnt from this thread is that I ride a piece of plumbing, aka Giant :unsure:

No... not like that... it all about what you happy and enjoy. No one have the right to say you ride a piece of k@k.. that is you heaven.. enjoy your wekend guys and girls....