Dilemma: Giant XTC 29er 1 VS Scott scale elite VS Momsen AL529

Mopkop

I've just taken a look at the giant xtc 1 29er at my lbs, and man I want one. Price is very reasonable, but I just don't have the cash now.

Bit later I'm gonna look at the scott, and give it some thought.

Saving up sucks!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to add, the weight of the giant is less than that of the momsen 529.

The momsen felt a lot heavier than my scott reflex 26er (old old old), but the giant surprised me weith what "feels" lighter

The above is opinion, please don't shoot me if its not fact.

Hi

When considering weight, one must realise that the frame and components etc is static weight while the wheels are rolling weight. This means wheel weight is much more important. Thus the mosen has a light wheelset but a **** frame with crappy geometry. This is the lightest the bike will most probably be.

The giant is highly upgrandeable because it has a heavy wheelset. The giant wheels are nuke proof though and the giant has the best frame by far. They are the top alumium frame manufacturers.

Scott! I don't really like their low end bikes.

However, as mentioned, nothing will beat the silverback vida 1 in a run for its bucks. If you took them all for a ride you would feel the vida has and edge due to its low weight wheels and decent frame as well plus the silver and red looks awesome!!!!!!

Hi

When considering weight, one must realise that the frame and components etc is static weight while the wheels are rolling weight. This means wheel weight is much more important. Thus the mosen has a light wheelset but a **** frame with crappy geometry. This is the lightest the bike will most probably be.

The giant is highly upgrandeable because it has a heavy wheelset. The giant wheels are nuke proof though and the giant has the best frame by far. They are the top alumium frame manufacturers.

Scott! I don't really like their low end bikes.

However, as mentioned, nothing will beat the silverback vida 1 in a run for its bucks. If you took them all for a ride you would feel the vida has and edge due to its low weight wheels and decent frame as well plus the silver and red looks awesome!!!!!!

Could not agree more

So I popped in @ my LBS yestday looking to do the deal on the giant xtc1.....................................he then advised me to try a longer high rise stem to check the difference..Haven't tried it yet as I feel I've already made up my mind with going for the xtc1..will be trying it out later today tho...you never know :ph34r:

Another LBS said I should look at the scott 940..Its about R2500 more than my budget but they say the Fox fork thats specced on the 940 with its intermediate remote lockout is about double the price of the reba specced on the giant/scott/momsen I've been looking at so maybe the scott 940 is worth the extra bucks..

I never knew that trying to sell a 26" MTB specced with some good **** would be so hard to sell :cursing: ma nou ja

GIANT XTC 1 it is............or so I THINK :whistling:

Dude, don't let them fox you into buying a bike that's R 2,500 more than something else just because it has a FOX on it. Rule of thumb is that FOX forks, for the same performance, are 50 - 60% more expensive than the comparative Rock Shox fork. And I say this with all the feeling I can muster - THAT REBA IS A FANFREAKINGDOODLETASTIC fork!

So no, it's not worth the extra bucks. In fact, it may be the Fox 32RL, in which case it is vastly inferior to the Reba, having only rebound adjust whereas the Reba will have rebound, compression, pos & negative air pressure adjustments and is infinitely better than any Fox that sells for less than R 7k.

Yes, Fox has the name. That's why they sell for more!

So I popped in @ my LBS yestday looking to do the deal on the giant xtc1.....................................he then advised me to try a longer high rise stem to check the difference..Haven't tried it yet as I feel I've already made up my mind with going for the xtc1..will be trying it out later today tho...you never know :ph34r:

Another LBS said I should look at the scott 940..Its about R2500 more than my budget but they say the Fox fork thats specced on the 940 with its intermediate remote lockout is about double the price of the reba specced on the giant/scott/momsen I've been looking at so maybe the scott 940 is worth the extra bucks..

I never knew that trying to sell a 26" MTB specced with some good **** would be so hard to sell :cursing: ma nou ja

GIANT XTC 1 it is............or so I THINK :whistling:

Mopkop, give your 26 inch bike to the vrou! It will score you leg over points and get the bike that will make you go and ride. The one your heart tells you to get!

I was having the same issues you are having

Edited by Ranga

HAHAHAHA

There is no vrou to give the bike to! I've got some possible buyers coming to view the bike this weekend..................and if all goes well, I'll be on my new machine next week :-) :-) :-)

Just got a JAGS deal on the XTC from my LBS R13000...shhhh don't tell anyone!!!To krap my kop even more the lbs has just thrown a spanner in the works by giving me the titan 29er PRO alloy(Same fork but with full XT including hubs) for the same price(I think the frame is *** though)...Super tempted as i can always get a carbon frame in a few months time ;-)

Any thoughts on the titan?

Fingers crossed I get my silverback sold

No, dude, go for the XTC! Far better geo and a lekker bike! Slx is a perfect gruppo as well!

I know the XTC is a much better frame ja, thats what drew me to it. BUT I can always get another frame later on and spec it with the full XT from the titan..

The giant is specced as follows tho

SHIFTERS: SRAM X7, 3x10 Speed

FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X7

REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X9

BRAKES: Avid Elixir 5, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm

BRAKE LEVERS: Avid Elixir 5

CASSETTE: SRAM PG1030 11x36, 10Speed

CHAIN: SRAM PC1031

CRANKSET: SRAM S1000 22/33/44

BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP Press Fit

If i go giant I'll do a brake upgrade ASAP cos the peoples say its a kaka system to do maintanance on and they make a noise????

I think the first thing to do if get them to check on stock levels. The 2012 ranges are coming to an end and the 2013 are not all here. I was in solomons and there is no XL momsen Alu bikes left as I over heard him phoning the supplier. I went through the same excercise when my dad was buying a bike. Get all excited do the research only to find out there was no small frames left..

Get the XTC components break, and then you replace them one by one, looking for a decent secondhand frame doesnt always pan out.

And to open a can of worms i use to be XT/XTR freak, thought my new bike with a mix of x7 x9 will be stripped immedialty and upgraded, X7/x9 kicks the crap out of shimano XT. Havent felt the need to remove a singular component.

I am no a SRAM fan when the first thing breaks XX/XO here i come.

Edited by covie

I know the XTC is a much better frame ja, thats what drew me to it. BUT I can always get another frame later on and spec it with the full XT from the titan..

The giant is specced as follows tho

SHIFTERS: SRAM X7, 3x10 Speed

FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X7

REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X9

BRAKES: Avid Elixir 5, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm

BRAKE LEVERS: Avid Elixir 5

CASSETTE: SRAM PG1030 11x36, 10Speed

CHAIN: SRAM PC1031

CRANKSET: SRAM S1000 22/33/44

BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP Press Fit

If i go giant I'll do a brake upgrade ASAP cos the peoples say its a kaka system to do maintanance on and they make a noise????

When I buy bikes I focus on the following (in order)

#1 Frame. This is the skeleton of your bike. No amount of pimping or scaling up your groupo is going to make your bike a good bike if the frame is sub standard.

#2 Wheelset. A gram on the wheels is like 2 grams on the bike. 29ers are even more sensitive to this. Stiffer wheels are crucial for a decent ride.

#3 Fork. Pay careful attention to what the geo of the bike allows. More travel is not always better.

#4 Brakes. Try to stay away from the Avids. Beech to bleed and combined with the Avid Rotors sings like a chainsaw. For your budget SLX brakes should do just fine.

#5 Stem, Handlebar, Grips and seatpost. Reliability over weight here for me - EVERY TIME

#6 Crank, Headset and BB - Spend and buy Hope / Chris King if you can. A good BB and headset will save you $$$ in future and many people underestimate the weight saving possibilities here

#7 Shifters, Dereullieurs

#8 Consumables (chain, brake pads, Cable outers and inners, Tyres)

Edited by MorewoodMad

So I got my bike sold, WHOOP WHOOP!!! and went to go gert my new bike the weekend...but to no avail :-(

They did however show me the new titan 29er PRO and MY EFFEN WORD! the bike is beautifull! only problem is they'll only be arriving mid to end september..

Some of the specs:

Full XT

Reba fork

ZTR Arch wheels

I hope it is this way cos my name is right ata top of the wanted list!!

If its not what I expect it to be I'll go with the giant! :-)