Dilemma: Giant XTC 29er 1 VS Scott scale elite VS Momsen AL529

Mopkop

I just looked at the 2013 Scott Scale 940 with following specs:

Frame Alloy 6061, custom butted, superlight tubing Front Fork Fox 32 Float 100 o/c CTD - 3 Function lockout - 100mm or 70mm or lockout Headset Ritchey Comp Rear Deralier Shimano XT - 2013 model Front Deralier Shimano SLX - 2013 model Shifters Shimano SLX 30spd - 2013 model Brake Levers Shimano M596 - 2013 model Brakes Shimano M596 - 2013 model Crankset Shimano XT - 2013 model Bottom Bracket Shimano XT - 2013 model Hub front Scott Concept Hub rear M629 centre lock Shimano Chain HG54 Shimano - 30spd Cassette Shimano SLX 36T-11T, 30spd Pedals Shimano M520 Clipless Handlebar Syncros Stem Syncros Seat post Syncros Saddle Scott Concept Spokes DT Swiss Rims Syncros alex rims XC49 Tyres Schwable Rocket Ron - 29 x 2.25 - tubeless ready Weight 11.7kg

Took it for a test ride, and couldnt believe how well it rode. I think it is my next purchase.

R15,500 at Hot Spot Cycles. Will need to make one or two upgrades, but think the frame is a good starting point, and it is light!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mornings all the people on the taxi! seeing that I dont have a bike to use

Does anyone have info on the ETA of the new titan range?

What is momsen doing for 2013?????

Had another look at the scott 940....DANMMMMMM was tempted to get one as i could get it R2000 cheaper from a different LBS ;-). only thing thats a bit off putting is the fox fork, the guy said it needs to be serviced abt every 50 hours, is this true???? thats abt every 2.5 months, GEEEEEESSSSSSSAASSSSSSSS

In anycase, I hope the new Ish arrives soon as the wait is killing me and the running is killing my knees!

PEaCe

Mornings all the people on the taxi! seeing that I dont have a bike to use

Does anyone have info on the ETA of the new titan range?

What is momsen doing for 2013?????

Had another look at the scott 940....DANMMMMMM was tempted to get one as i could get it R2000 cheaper from a different LBS ;-). only thing thats a bit off putting is the fox fork, the guy said it needs to be serviced abt every 50 hours, is this true???? thats abt every 2.5 months, GEEEEEESSSSSSSAASSSSSSSS

In anycase, I hope the new Ish arrives soon as the wait is killing me and the running is killing my knees!

PEaCe

Never! Na 50uur was my Fox eers lekker in geloop. Let wel as ek nie my fiets gewas het voor 'n ride nie sal ek altyd die fork 'n wipe gee. Het al 'n vorige Reba so afgeskryf van te min was.

I just looked at the 2013 Scott Scale 940 with following specs: Frame Alloy 6061, custom butted, superlight tubing Front Fork Fox 32 Float 100 o/c CTD - 3 Function lockout - 100mm or 70mm or lockout Headset Ritchey Comp Rear Deralier Shimano XT - 2013 model Front Deralier Shimano SLX - 2013 model Shifters Shimano SLX 30spd - 2013 model Brake Levers Shimano M596 - 2013 model Brakes Shimano M596 - 2013 model Crankset Shimano XT - 2013 model Bottom Bracket Shimano XT - 2013 model Hub front Scott Concept Hub rear M629 centre lock Shimano Chain HG54 Shimano - 30spd Cassette Shimano SLX 36T-11T, 30spd Pedals Shimano M520 Clipless Handlebar Syncros Stem Syncros Seat post Syncros Saddle Scott Concept Spokes DT Swiss Rims Syncros alex rims XC49 Tyres Schwable Rocket Ron - 29 x 2.25 - tubeless ready Weight 11.7kg Took it for a test ride, and couldnt believe how well it rode. I think it is my next purchase. R15,500 at Hot Spot Cycles. Will need to make one or two upgrades, but think the frame is a good starting point, and it is light!

did you buy it yet ...........also lookign at this bike good price!

I just looked at the 2013 Scott Scale 940 with following specs:

Frame Alloy 6061, custom butted, superlight tubing Front Fork Fox 32 Float 100 o/c CTD - 3 Function lockout - 100mm or 70mm or lockout Headset Ritchey Comp Rear Deralier Shimano XT - 2013 model Front Deralier Shimano SLX - 2013 model Shifters Shimano SLX 30spd - 2013 model Brake Levers Shimano M596 - 2013 model Brakes Shimano M596 - 2013 model Crankset Shimano XT - 2013 model Bottom Bracket Shimano XT - 2013 model Hub front Scott Concept Hub rear M629 centre lock Shimano Chain HG54 Shimano - 30spd Cassette Shimano SLX 36T-11T, 30spd Pedals Shimano M520 Clipless Handlebar Syncros Stem Syncros Seat post Syncros Saddle Scott Concept Spokes DT Swiss Rims Syncros alex rims XC49 Tyres Schwable Rocket Ron - 29 x 2.25 - tubeless ready Weight 11.7kg

Took it for a test ride, and couldnt believe how well it rode. I think it is my next purchase.

R15,500 at Hot Spot Cycles. Will need to make one or two upgrades, but think the frame is a good starting point, and it is light!

the price on the 940 at Hot spot is R16999 on the web did you haggle?

I think the biggest problem with looking for a "GOOD" bike for around R15K is that there is so damn much to choose from! and the fact that the arrival of the 2013 models are around the corner hasn't made life any easier!!!!

New Axis A10: Reba, X9/X0 groupset, crappy wheels +- R13k

New Titan 29er PRO: Reba, FULL XT, crest wheels +- R15K

New Scott 940: +-R15.5K

Looking at the new Silverback vida 1, MASSIVE downgrade IMO :thumbdown: !! Reba, SLX/XT, crest wheels, I wouldnt pay more than R15K :eek: :eek:

As for giant, thats yet to be seen

Merida big9 XT, Fox, full XT, merida wheels R16.5K

What to do, what to do! and it seems like no one is ready to let the "older" 2012 models go at a cheaper price :cursing:

I'm going on 5 weeks without a bike, luckily the motjie is keeping me busy :w00t: , in the gym I might add :whistling:

Lets see what happens in the next few weeks, once again I'm back to square 1 :unsure:

I picked up a Giant XTC1 2weeks back, with 1st ride this past sunday, and I'm happy as a pig in poop!

Not that this will help you much, just putting it out there

Scott scale 940, LBS in Potchefstroom price R14999.00

Great prices!!

Scott scale elite 29er 2012 edition (Silver one), last week saw them for 10 grand!

the price on the 940 at Hot spot is R16999 on the web did you haggle?

I did end up buying it. Got discount for cash purchase. They are flexible with price

So I've popped into my LBS and came across a large(19inch) Giant XTC 26er frame for ONLEEEE R2499. was thinking of getting this frame and then just tranfering my existing parts across. I'm struggling to sell my bike as it's only 4 months old now. The LBS advised that it would of sold easier if it was older and I'd got my money out of it. I mean to loose R3000 in 4 months to me is ridiculous UNLESS I just close my eyes and take the knock?????

The only problem is that i don't know if its going to fit me better than the silverback i currently own.

Giving it time till this weekend else ima go for the giant XTC 29er

hi Mopkop,

I have a similar problem, my Scott 26" frame bust 2 weeks ago, cracked between the seat clamp and the top-tube weld. Frame is 6-7 years old so no complaints there. I'm interested in contacting your LBS for that Giant frame, would be keen on doing a build-over. Could you please PM me their details? Thanks a mil! I have also read your thread and I will probably buy a 29er HT - busy checking stock levels as there is NO stock at the moment here in Joburg. Thanks, appreciate your discussion here. Cheers,

Out of my experience with buying mtb's, is that you usually upgrade the components, but the frame is last to go. Rather buy a new bike based on the frame and upgrade the wheels etc later on.

hi Mopkop,

I have a similar problem, my Scott 26" frame bust 2 weeks ago, cracked between the seat clamp and the top-tube weld. Frame is 6-7 years old so no complaints there. I'm interested in contacting your LBS for that Giant frame, would be keen on doing a build-over. Could you please PM me their details? Thanks a mil! I have also read your thread and I will probably buy a 29er HT - busy checking stock levels as there is NO stock at the moment here in Joburg. Thanks, appreciate your discussion here. Cheers,

Awe!! my LBS is cyclosport....3rd in the country mos :thumbup: have not got their number :blush: but you'll get it on the net..

I'm still in search of "THE ONE" but I'll keep you guys posted :clap:

PS... I HATE IT WHEN SUPPLIES GIVE YOU A DATE OF ARRIVAL AND THEN ITS ALL FOR SPEC AND BOONTJIES :thumbdown: :angry: :thumbdown: EK WAG NOGSTEEEDS :whistling:

PS... I HATE IT WHEN SUPPLIES GIVE YOU A DATE OF ARRIVAL AND THEN ITS ALL FOR SPEC AND BOONTJIES :thumbdown: :angry: :thumbdown: EK WAG NOGSTEEEDS :whistling:

You have to realize that suppliers will give you an estimate only, they face holdups from places like the monkey's at customs/SARS etc etc which they cannot account for. However I still beleive that they should have a database of reminders setup when they promise to deliver and at least phone the client when delays are experianced which they never do sadly.

I think the biggest problem with looking for a "GOOD" bike for around R15K is that there is so damn much to choose from! and the fact that the arrival of the 2013 models are around the corner hasn't made life any easier!!!!

New Axis A10: Reba, X9/X0 groupset, crappy wheels +- R13k

New Titan 29er PRO: Reba, FULL XT, crest wheels +- R15K

New Scott 940: +-R15.5K

Looking at the new Silverback vida 1, MASSIVE downgrade IMO :thumbdown: !! Reba, SLX/XT, crest wheels, I wouldnt pay more than R15K :eek: :eek:

As for giant, thats yet to be seen

Merida big9 XT, Fox, full XT, merida wheels R16.5K

What to do, what to do! and it seems like no one is ready to let the "older" 2012 models go at a cheaper price :cursing:

I'm going on 5 weeks without a bike, luckily the motjie is keeping me busy :w00t: , in the gym I might add :whistling:

Lets see what happens in the next few weeks, once again I'm back to square 1 :unsure:

From all the bikes you mention here dude the Silverback is probably the nicest bike do the math crest wheelset 6.5k, xt slx groupo 9k, reba fork 4.5k then you havent even added the frame or the brakes to the price. And the SB geometry is 10 times better than either the titan/axis/merida. And BTW the entry level Fox' forks a ****, Only the high end fox compares to the Reba and then at almost tripple the price.

Edited by covie

From all the bikes you mention here dude the Silverback is probably the nicest bike do the math crest wheelset 6.5k, xt slx groupo 9k, reba fork 4.5k then you havent even added the frame or the brakes to the price. And the SB geometry is 10 times better than either the titan/axis/merida. And BTW the entry level Fox' forks a ****, Only the high end fox compares to the Reba and then at almost tripple the price.

+1 on that, covie. Those crests are the biz, even though i would go for the flows for My heavy ass.