Back Wheel Fell Out!!!!

Scott2luvit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez thats just crap, he must go viral with this, I would freaking post it everywhere

Thats what you get for buying an overpriced asian knockoff frame sold from switzerland, with no support in SA.

Bottom line - SERVICE YOUR OWN BIKE. There is plenty on The Hub and the WWW to teach you how.

Bottom line - SERVICE YOUR OWN BIKE. There is plenty on The Hub and the WWW to teach you how.

So you wouldnt excpect your brand new bike to be sorted?

Where was the skewer? A skewer is under a lot of tension and both parts will depart at quite a velocity. It happened to us on the Tandem and we never found the main part of the skewer. We found the loose screw in part lying on the shoulder on the other side of the road with the small offending part still screwed in.

Was a scary thing anyways and thank God it did not happen on a downhill.

Eish. I would never just trust an LBS but then my bikes never see the inside of one. I almost always check wheels are true, tyre pressures, brakes, skewers, headset and fork before a ride. It only takes a couple of seconds and 99% of the time just pressures need to be adjusted.

Since we are all telling stories from our youth...

My first ride on my "Mean Machine" (most of you won't know this precursor to the bmx which weighed about 20kgs and had plastic fake fuel tank and mud guards) was in The Field and Study Centre on The Spruit. It was my 8th birthday present. Anyway, so the first thing I do is ride across the concrete weir and pop a wheelie. Naturally, the front wheel falls off and floats down the river. I landed on my feet but my overiding memory is of my dad running down the bank of the Spruit after he front wheel.

Where was the skewer? A skewer is under a lot of tension and both parts will depart at quite a velocity. It happened to us on the Tandem and we never found the main part of the skewer. We found the loose screw in part lying on the shoulder on the other side of the road with the small offending part still screwed in.

Was a scary thing anyways and thank God it did not happen on a downhill.

Also very happy it didnt happen downhill, the skewer is fine, just came back from a 38 km trip without insident

Eish. I would never just trust an LBS but then my bikes never see the inside of one. I almost always check wheels are true, tyre pressures, brakes, skewers, headset and fork before a ride. It only takes a couple of seconds and 99% of the time just pressures need to be adjusted.

Since we are all telling stories from our youth...

My first ride on my "Mean Machine" (most of you won't know this precursor to the bmx which weighed about 20kgs and had plastic fake fuel tank and mud guards) was in The Field and Study Centre on The Spruit. It was my 8th birthday present. Anyway, so the first thing I do is ride across the concrete weir and pop a wheelie. Naturally, the front wheel falls off and floats down the river. I landed on my feet but my overiding memory is of my dad running down the bank of the Spruit after he front wheel.

yes, happened to me in an off roasd tri. Unfortunately it took me from 1st to 7th. Lesson learnt, if someone else works on yur stuff check it.

When I was a laatie, my old man repaired a puncture on my front wheel and forgot to tighten the quick release.

I rode with a friend, jumped over a speed bump and as I was in the air, my front wheel came out.

Just about the hardest I have ever gone down. Some guy picked me up next to the road and gave me and the bike a lift home in his car

When I was a laaitjie we used a no 14 spanner and spoons

I also had one of those, man the where awesome

:thumbup:

Oh yes. Almost forgot. Was a real full suspension machine. Because they wanted to make it look like a real MX bike it had some sort of dual crown front fork which clamped to BMX style bars. The twin coil springs at the back squeeked like a river full of drowning rats though. Not sure how much travel. Probably only 2 or 3". Proper 20" aggressive knobblies on some pretty rugged rims. But the bike was capable downhill... I remember doing drop offs taller than myself and the suspension just absorbed the impact. No seat height adjustment though. Man, that heavy bike made me strong - especially because I had to give everyone lifts on that loooong mx style saddle.

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4161/53779995.jpg

edit: found pic

Edited by slick