why do they still make 26 inch bikes if 29ers are clearly the way forward?

29er-norman

Sorry, I'm either too young to remember... or maybe just missed out by not living on the east rond

don't lie, Patches, I've seen you rocking your patchwork leather version...

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very happy to pick up some 26 bargains whilst the 29 craze rolls on, one man's silver bullet is another mans marketing hoopla.

I've got nothing against either of the bike sizes, all I'm looking for is a bike that'll work for me.

I've got a 26er HT which I am in the process of selling as I cannot get the correct setup on the bike. ALL the LBS in CPT suggest that I go 29er due to my height, 1.8m. I really enjoy my 26er but I dont feel comfortable on the bike, I get the feeling of going to flip over the bars, feels a lot like being on a road bike, low down, agressive. Because of this I cannot really "push" myself/bike on trails.

Should I look at getting a different 26er frame as my current bike(3 months old) is leka specced, XT/SLX with Recon front end. I've tried different stems/seat posts but nothing helps.

My inner leg measurement in 90cm and my bike now is a Large(19").

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

I think that it a retarded comment.

Ride my Morewood Zula in Tokai and then tell me that 26" bikes are dead and buried. But I guess if you live in JHB and the riding is mainly district roads then yes 26" are pointless.

It still mystifies me why people are selling perfectly good and fantastic 26" ual sus bikes for a 29" hardtail. That to me is regression but I guess each to his own.

i ride everything on my 29er, i used to ride district roads when i was a beginger but i got bored with that i now ride everything ranging from fast downhills to riding up the most technical of trails such as the emmerentia tree line nothing gives me more of a thrill than riding up the emmerentia tree line. on a day when im feeling confident ill ride it downwards i find it to be a wonderful trail as ive noticed my skill levels grow in leaps and bounds.

Remember when these were cool?

post-1604-0-79063200-1343033462.jpg

I'm surprised Clint_ZA did not go with one instead of a saddle bag or camelbak

I'm surprised Clint_ZA did not go with one instead of a saddle bag or camelbak

I have a small confession to make… :blush:

I think its only the DH, Freeride AM type bikes are staying with 26", all the XCO and Marathon bikes are 29er only

And some ladies bikes.

After I heard the comment that most of the bikes at the Epic were 29'rs, had a look at the bikes at Sani and most were 26'rs.

Thoughts of those with too much disposable income and not enough sense.come to mind.

please don't give the importers ideas. i still need spares for my 26" v brake

i ride everything on my 29er, i used to ride district roads when i was a beginger but i got bored with that i now ride everything ranging from fast downhills to riding up the most technical of trails such as the emmerentia tree line nothing gives me more of a thrill than riding up the emmerentia tree line. on a day when im feeling confident ill ride it downwards i find it to be a wonderful trail as ive noticed my skill levels grow in leaps and bounds.

that hardly makes you qualified to say that 26ers are dead now though, does it? All you've done is ride down faast (straight, maybe?) downhills and UP singletrack (where the bigger wheelsize does admittedly help to get over obstacles if you don't know how to negotiate them by lifting your wheel and powering over them etc)

You asked the question - you've been given a multitude of answers. But let me clarify for you:

XC bikes (or XCO, seeing as it could be seen as the same discipline) - 29ers are coming out more and more due to their ability to roll over obstacles better, and be more efficient on the flats. Still populated by 26ers because some prefer the smaller framed bikes and how they negotiate technical trails - flickability, it's called

Marathon bikes - predominately dominated by 29ers, due to the long, generally non technical aspect of the rides

Trail Bikes - dominated by 26" bikes, due to their ability to have 120mm+ travel without breaking a sweat. 29ers are now hedging in on this market because frame design & suspension / wheel tech has enabled the longer travel bikes to come out when they would previously have been unwieldy and stupid looking / feeling, due to the increased travel that a trail bike has

All Mountain - dominated thoroughly by 26" bikes. Why? Longer travel. Pure and simple. Designers cannot yet reliably shoe-horn 150mm - 160mm travel onto a 29" frame without compromising geometry. There are faux 29" all mountain bikes like the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT (130mm travel) but they generally sit on the fence between trail / all mountain. 26" will dominate here for a while longer, and I think will remain in control here for the future.

Downhill - Dominated by 26" bikes. You CANNOT put 200mm travel on a DH bike yet, for the same reason as the AM bikes. It would have compromised geometry, and therefore handling characteristics. Forks would have to be quite a bit heavier to handle the increased stresses over their 26" cousins, so weight would increase. Also, wheel manufacturers haven't yet delved into the world of Downhill strength 29" wheels...

THAT is why you still have 26" bikes, and still will have them.

Edited by cptmayhem