[Event] Vori-Berg MTB Race

Team SL

Just wanna say well done to Clive and his team, the race on saturday was awsum.

I did the 70km, and normally don't enjoy lap races because after the first one I'm normally so poked that the second lap is living hell, But this one had awsum track so really didn't mind doing it twice, the marking was good in my opinion, just a pity the sponsored water-point packed up early. luckily they were only starting when I went passed, but then again one cant really expect marshals and volunteers to stand there all day.

Maybe a recommendation for future races could be to have a cut off at a certain point on the second lap, where people can be sent an alternate route back to the finish and their numbers recorded?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Event Name: Vori-Berg MTB Race

When: 11 August 2012

Where: Cycad Nursery, 2km East of previous venue on R513, Gauteng

Category: MTB

The next Vori-Berg is on the 11th August.

There have been a couple of changes to our event.

Firstly we have moved our starting venue to the Cycad Nursery which is 2Km east of the existing Lemlou Security Grounds on the R513. As the name says you will now be able to leave either mommy or daddy to browse the nursery to get your garden looking great again after the winter months.

Secondly we will no longer ride along the R513 to start and finish the race, this was becoming just to dangerous for us and we need to look at the sfatey of the participants.

Great news is that we have added a new section of track which should add 5km to the route, this is some lovely singletrack with a few sharp climbs.

All info is still available on www.waterpoint.co.za

I will be riding the route and should have some profiles up later next week.

Look forward to seeing all of you again for a great race.

Cheers

Clive

Go to Event Page

quick question clive, I see that waterpoint has closed down???

where will you guys be posting the results of this weekends passed race?

quick question clive, I see that waterpoint has closed down???

where will you guys be posting the results of this weekends passed race?

they should be on cyclesport.co.za, he said by monday

Absolute cracker race again, well done Clive and team (nice meeting you!!)

I like the changes to the route, rode everything this time :thumbup:

@jcza - As I went through that rocky section on the first lap someone went over the bars behind me ... could have been you? I was on the Specialized Epic with the CycleLink Hestico kit (White/Orange)

Could have been me, there was a guy down already in all blue kit, I decided to go left to avoid him & ended up seeing stars. Great race!

I really enjoyed the new route and even the interaction with the shorter distances was quite pleasant. However, Clive and his team got things horribly wrong as far the back markers were concerned. There were no marshalls after we crossed the tar road on the second lap, my guess was that there were at least 6 riders behind me at that stage and it would seem that the route had been closed up in front us. I had to open at least three farm gates and although a bit annoying it was not my biggest concern. With about 13kms to go I came across an elderly lady pushing her bike, she was on the 35km race. She had no mechanical issues, was in good spirits but had clearly underestimated the distance. I told her that there was a waterpoint at the end of the single track about 2 kms away. When I got there the waterpoint was gone and even more concerning was that many of the route markers had been knocked over. When I got in I spoke to the organizers who, to their credit, immediately set off to find her. I just hope this does not end badly.

RR,

Yes we found the lady, when she entered she said that she is capable of doing 20km and this would be a challenge on 35km.

She also said that she will phone us if not able to make it. Noe the less she enjoyed her battle with Vori-Berg as i think she would of managed quite easily on Babbas Lodge route.

Regarding the marshalls and waterpoint vanishing, the gentleman that i used closed the route down from possibly the wrong side, my appologies for this.

Sugesting a cut off time, what would you guy's suggest?

I have a system in place where i check that each rider that started has returned and if nit we go searching.

Thanks for your support

Clive

Just wanna say well done to Clive and his team, the race on saturday was awsum.

I did the 70km, and normally don't enjoy lap races because after the first one I'm normally so poked that the second lap is living hell, But this one had awsum track so really didn't mind doing it twice, the marking was good in my opinion, just a pity the sponsored water-point packed up early. luckily they were only starting when I went passed, but then again one cant really expect marshals and volunteers to stand there all day.

Maybe a recommendation for future races could be to have a cut off at a certain point on the second lap, where people can be sent an alternate route back to the finish and their numbers recorded?

Appologies for the waterpoing vanishing,

Give me an idea as to what sort of cut off time we should consider?

Glad you enjoyed it,

The next race oin october we hope to have the tar road crossing removed and a new section of track that will take you under the road once again.

cheers

Clive

Hopefully meet Clive tomorrow!

Nice meeting you although one would want to spend more time chatting

Appologies for the waterpoing vanishing,

Give me an idea as to what sort of cut off time we should consider?

Glad you enjoyed it,

The next race oin october we hope to have the tar road crossing removed and a new section of track that will take you under the road once again.

cheers

Clive

Well in terms of cut off, you guys must decide how long you want to be at the start venue? so maybe make it 30-45 min before you want to start packing up the route?

maybe the red or yellow indicated on the map to shorten the second lap? I dont know what roads or trails run there? or possibly at the water point at the top of the big climb by the cement road? if there is a shorter route back to the venue from there? because then it will be mainly downhill from there.

but like I said earlier the route and race was brilliant, I really dont have anything to complain about, Is most definitely one of my favorite races to do :thumbup:

post-13613-0-80053300-1344836323.jpg

Mmmmmmm Clive I think we need to stop the Prinsloo's getting on the podium in the shorter races all the time..... :ph34r: Either they should be only allowed to enter the 70km (except the youngest one) or uncle is going to have to come to the rescue and beat them :whistling:

Big up to Wade and Kaylin for their wins I think mum and dad are too scared to race them now.

I also encountered the lady at the waterpoint just before the descent. That was just before 11h00. I suggest a cut off time after lap 1 of 2:45 for the longer race. Only marking I missed was the right turn after the chicken farm.

Mmmmmmm Clive I think we need to stop the Prinsloo's getting on the podium in the shorter races all the time..... :ph34r: Either they should be only allowed to enter the 70km (except the youngest one) or uncle is going to have to come to the rescue and beat them :whistling:

Big up to Wade and Kaylin for their wins I think mum and dad are too scared to race them now.

Yes we will have to move them up in category, or give them a handicap of starting later than the group :clap:

RR,

Yes we found the lady, when she entered she said that she is capable of doing 20km and this would be a challenge on 35km.

She also said that she will phone us if not able to make it. Noe the less she enjoyed her battle with Vori-Berg as i think she would of managed quite easily on Babbas Lodge route.

Regarding the marshalls and waterpoint vanishing, the gentleman that i used closed the route down from possibly the wrong side, my appologies for this.

Sugesting a cut off time, what would you guy's suggest?

I have a system in place where i check that each rider that started has returned and if nit we go searching.

Thanks for your support

Clive

Hey Clive thanks for the update andI'm glad that it all ended in a smile :)

As for a cut off I'm not sure that this would necessarily address Saturday's problem perhaps appointing a rider to act as sweep would be more useful.