Stack heights?!

patches

So I have 2 stem setups for my Makulu and I'm not sure which one is better.

Both are direct mount. Both look cool (although one is red, so it should be faster)...

BUT one gives a stack height that is around 50mm lower than the other.

So... here's the question... what are the advantages and disadvantages to really low stack heights?

'Boerie' says the lower the better, then you will be gauranteed fast :ph34r:

hahaa! from what I can gather, lower is better for cornering. BUT, the slightly higher makes me feel safer on steep descents (probably also because the higher one is the original and what I'm used to)

So I have 2 stem setups for my Makulu and I'm not sure which one is better.

Both are direct mount. Both look cool (although one is red, so it should be faster)...

BUT one gives a stack height that is around 50mm lower than the other.

So... here's the question... what are the advantages and disadvantages to really low stack heights?

how tall are you thats what you need to think of first,for a short guy lower is always gonna be better,for a taller guy its totally different,too low and you'll constantly be over the bars. For me I personally believe the frame geometry plays a bigger roll in cornering than stack height does but I do understand the feeling of a lower center of gravity with a lower stack height

how tall are you thats what you need to think of first,for a short guy lower is always gonna be better,for a taller guy its totally different,too low and you'll constantly be over the bars. For me I personally believe the frame geometry plays a bigger roll in cornering than stack height does but I do understand the feeling of a lower center of gravity with a lower stack height

I'm 1.87 riding a large frame. With the lower setup the centre of the bars is sitting about 10mm above the top of the head tube.

With the higher setup the centre of the bars is about 60mm above top of hed tube.

Bars are 780mm wide, 10mm rise.

Fork stanchions are sitting quite low in the crowns giving me a slacker head angle.

Here's a pic of the higher setup

http://img.tapatalk.com/29301037-f56c-1910.jpg

Edited by patches

A good mate of mine always says (and yes he can ride). Set it up reach and height wise so that your hands are the same height as your arse and that when you ride and you look down the handle bar blocks out the front axel. I have played around with many different setups cause I and places like the hub "know better" but have to admit his suggestion still feels the best balance...

Edited by JTK

looks like Minnar opts for higher stack

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/data/748/2010_greg_minnaar_downhill_bike6.jpg

Dude, where are you going? That's right. Morzine. MOR-fkn-ZINE, bro. The land of descent. The land of 45% descents and chair-lifts. The world where you want ABSOLUTE confidence in your setup, and don't feel as if you're getting a bit sketchy and may fall over the bars.

Does that spell it out for you? Go for the High-Rize. The Slum-Stem. The Project Special. The SkyScraper Solution.

High Stack. Plus, you've got zero rise (10mm doesn't count as more than nothing) on your bars. So you need that elevator to the stars, dude. Otherwise you'll come smack down back to earth 'cos you're not used to the setup. And - on those long, long days where you ride 70-80km in one shot (yes, ask Oh Mega Man - he did ride that Every Day) you want the extra comfort. And at 1.87m tall, I guess you're a gangly bugger. And you need your bars to come up and reach to you, not the other way around.

Highstack.

demmit!

cos my other stem is soo purdee! (and shaves some weight)

http://img.tapatalk.com/c4d29a19-ff79-aebf.jpg

I could push the stanchions up in the crowns, but that makes my head angle steeper.

But yeah... maybe for now, I just put on the original setup. When I come back I'll toy with the lower option.

After all, it seems even Greg changes his stack height according to which course he's on.

Edited by patches

hahaha!

anyone wanna buy a Hope integrated stem for boxxers, only fitted once. Never ridden :lol:

I'm 1.87 riding a large frame. With the lower setup the centre of the bars is sitting about 10mm above the top of the head tube.

With the higher setup the centre of the bars is about 60mm above top of hed tube.

Bars are 780mm wide, 10mm rise.

Fork stanchions are sitting quite low in the crowns giving me a slacker head angle.

Here's a pic of the higher setup

http://img.tapatalk.com/29301037-f56c-1910.jpg

That looks good, Im a bit taller at 1,93 I had my bike set up like gregs after he gave me some advice,got some spacers made up that go under the stem,and then just run longer bolts exactly like in the pic of his v10

Looks like I'm putting the old stem and crown back on tonight.

Need to feel safe when I'm on them steep slopes!