Gorilla Tape Tubeless Conversion

Hairy

I have used filament tape before in conjunction with insulation tape to do a Ghetto type conversion.

But according to the link on PB the gorilla tape has proven to be the better of the whole lot and RE the question of whether or not the tape is not just the same as conventional duct tape, the answer according to the gorilla marketing splurb as per the text below in blue font.

Gorilla tape has taken duct tape to a brand new level.

Gorilla Tape's toughness surpasses ordinary tapes, making the list of uses virtually endless. It sticks to rough and uneven surfaces, including wood, stone, stucco and brick, that ordinary tapes can't hold.

• Tough All-Weather Shell

This helps create a barrier that can withstand harsh elements.

• Strong Re-inforced Backing

The tight weave contributes to the heft, but Gorilla tape can still be ripped by hand.

• Double Thick Adhesive

It fills in gaps on rough, uneven surfaces for extra grip.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Gorilla tape the same as Duct tape?

Ye only yanks say gorilla tape.....Gaffer tape(duct tape) ; as made famous by our SA movie industry .

Been riding with insulation tape we had to use at S2C in 2010 . Did not even replace it when I put new tyre .

Ye if u get the insulation tape nice & tight ,on in 1 clean move ,works fine mine lasted till a tyre lever moved it.

• 5 months later...

Bump.

Who else has had success with this.

Stans don't make a rim strip wide enough for my AM/DH rims and I'm seriously thinking of going this route.

Bump.

Who else has had success with this.

Stans don't make a rim strip wide enough for my AM/DH rims and I'm seriously thinking of going this route.

Gorilla tape will work for sure. I've seen people tape 5kg dumbbells to a wall with it, so it should stick (and stay stuck) to your rim. It's also pretty waterproof, so it shouldn't get soggy and lose its stick.

Yes...it is gaffer tape. Not quite like duct tape. The duct tape we get here is very plasticky and has poor glue. Gaffer stick like sh*t to anything, that stuff is bad.devil.gif Nothing like making a ball from the tape used at a gig and then playing soccer after packing up...

I've used normal duct-tape. I cut it slightly wider than the rim so that it goes up the sides, but not over the bead of the rim. The idea was to "squash" the edge of the tape between the tyre and rim. So far it's lasted about 4 months. Running Stans. Have to admit I'm preferring this conversion to rim-strips as the tape stays put. Will try and give feedback when I check sealant levels some time...

Oh, and the tight lust bead actually pops into place where rim strips made things to tight on the rim and I could never get the lust to seat evenly

Edited by MaxUmis

Apparently this stuff also works well:

Filament Tape:

http://www.waltons.co.za/Images/Products/400x400/07601800_400x400_72.jpg

http://www.bond-tape.com/images/filament.jpg

R40 for 50m from Waltons. Saw it used on a Ghetto conversion somewhere but I can't find the link...

Yup, I been using this too and its works fine ! Without Stan Rim strips !

Edited by Max Headroom

duct tape, if it is good enough for MacGyver........

also consider self fusing tape, as it gives a perfect seal

Is Gorilla tape the same as Duct tape?

Yes!!

Same thing....same purpose...to keep the air out of the spoke holes! Thus any ol tape can do the job...some will perhaps just last longer than others....

Personally, I still prefer the old 24' tube that is cut up...Why you may ask? Because the fit between the rubber tube and the tyre bead is just so much better than the fit you get with duct tape!

I just used a 20" tube, comes with the valve handy thumbup1.gif , 29ers use a 24" tube.

I have to agree!! The advantage of a build-in valve reduces the risk of an extra place for a leak to occur...

Saw some at CWC last year, will go check out if they have some left.

Anyone know Jaffer tape, saw some at builders last week. Looks much better than the cheap duct tape we get

Found some new tape at Waltons... I think it was PVC tape. Looks like electircal tape, but without the stretch. Actually the best ghetto option I have used, and holding well. The filament tape was a little hard to clean off... tended to leave bit of stubborn tape and fibres in the rim.

I tried the 20" tube method and failed badly.

I take it you get 20" Presta tubes?

I used the normal Schrader tube. The trick is to use a thin sealant, not the thick snotty stuff. The snotty stuff failed as it did not seal on the bead (too thick to get there) The runny sealant will get to the bead and seal it, as mine did. Topped up air three days after the conversion, and it is still holding, six weeks later.

Edited by DaLoCo