Isuzu 3 Towers stage race - Advice needed

Mr SingleTrack

Now this is a mate. Saw this guy pushing his mates bike up on day 3. The mate was finished. My GF was cruizing up there in the front (feeling way better than she did the first year she did it).

You are going to experience some rocks but nothing more than say VG or the Nek. The rest is smooth.

Worry mor about the hills and the beer in take...... and those german tanks. GF felt like one had ridden over her in her sleep after day 2 on her first year she rode it.......

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is a mate. Saw this guy pushing his mates bike up on day 3. The mate was finished. My GF was cruizing up there in the front (feeling way better than she did the first year she did it).

You are going to experience some rocks but nothing more than say VG or the Nek. The rest is smooth.

Worry mor about the hills and the beer in take...... and those german tanks. GF felt like one had ridden over her in her sleep after day 2 on her first year she rode it.......

Mr SingleTrack please take note of the image - you'll be doing the same with my bike.

Hey remember the oke who's crank came apart on day2...

I have not had one flat at 3T yet. If you walk a lot chances are way less. Last year I used Mountain Kings 2.4 front and 2.2 rear. Year before was CrossMarks but they suffered a bit in the wet.

A bit of gym work helps a lot as the race is tough on the upper body and lower back. Rows, deadlifts (lot of lifting of the front wheel over obstacles)

Mr SingleTrack please take note of the image - you'll be doing the same with my bike.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

deal, as long as you pay for the massage at the end of the stage

:blink: :blink: :blink:

deal, as long as you pay for the massage at the end of the stage

btw - lees jou BBM's dude

Im in for the second year now :clap:

Its like riding at Thaba trails but with much BIGER and longer climbs , so the tyres you use there will be great at 3 towers.

and yes bring your climbing legs !!!!!!!

I have not yet came across a hill that I could not push my bike up ;)

this is my fav race on the calendar!! The singletrack is just out of this world, leka technical!! :clap:

My favourite race is the Mankele Avalanche where you get shuttled to top and ride down all the lekker technical. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw the route profiles for the race and it shows about 3000m of climbing per day. That's gonna hurt bad :eek: :eek: :eek:

@ Mr Nature are you sure the profiles shown on the website are correct?

Race

Day 1 71.3km Ascent 3063m

Day 2 75.1km Ascent 2724m

Day 3 71.2km Ascent 2907m

Challenge

Day 1 43.8km Ascent 1390m

Day 2 50.7km Ascent 1856m

If they are I'm taking lights with me!

@ Mr Nature are you sure the profiles shown on the website are correct?

Race

Day 1 71.3km Ascent 3063m

Day 2 75.1km Ascent 2724m

Challenge

Day 1 43.8km Ascent 1390m

Day 2 50.7km Ascent 1856m

If they are I'm taking lights with me!

It can't be, $hit it better not be or I am faking a injury

Do any of you guys who did this race last year agree with these stats? I know the route has changed but what has been shown on the website seems to be wrong. For instance the very first climb on day one is common with the first climb of the Mankele race held earlier this year the profile on the website is 375m for that climb whereas my garmin shows 300m for the same climb.

My expectations when entering this race was for total climbs to be between 1500 - 2000m climbing per day if the website profiles are correct I'm seriously underprepared for this race.